1970's Deer Camp...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

1970's Deer Camp...

Post by cshold »

Jack O must have made his impact.
Nothing but side levers :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1970's Deer Camp...

Post by RIHMFIRE »

great pic.....I need to get into another hunt club!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Good picture
Lots of firewood there
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I think all the years I bear and deer hunted the Poconos I only saw one other person then myself with a lever action . The crowd I hunted with all for the most part used bolt actions .

The first year I hunted up there was the first year for the 450 Marlin cartridge and I bear hunted that year with a Marlin 1895M in 450 Marlin . A couple years later during deer season I killed a buck with my REM Model 7 300 SAUM and the rest of the week I carried a marlin 336D 35 REM looking for a bear . Dunno about now but back when I hunted there for a few years the Poconos area had an additional bear season during the first week of deer season . Seems the weekenders up there wanted some of the bear gone so the state added a few extra days .

On the other hand there was an overabundance of PA Shuckamatics up there . Always the same Remington 760 06 with a 3-9 in See Thru mounts . I met several guys up there that owned a pair of them just alike , one for deer and the other for bear the only difference was the weight Remington Core Lokt they shot in them . Typically the ones I talked to told me 150 or 165 grain for deer and 180 or 200 grain for bear .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Six pt it is pretty much the same, I believe I am the only hunter in Pa that doesn't own a 760 in 06. I have an excuse though.....I ain't from here originally. Never understood the need to carry a gun that rattles like an old half track but that's huntin in Pa. I have been offered many a 760 but I haven't bitten yet. Leaving them for the next generation you know.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I happen to like both. My first center fire was a Winchester 94. Got it in about 1956 and still have it. I have about six levers. I inherited dads 760. It sat in the back of the safe for 10 years before I tried it out.
I was impressed. It`s accurate, in 30-06, light and fast handling and probably even faster on repeat shots than levers. I do like the looks of my levers better.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

fordwannabe wrote:Six pt it is pretty much the same, I believe I am the only hunter in Pa that doesn't own a 760 in 06. I have an excuse though.....I ain't from here originally. Never understood the need to carry a gun that rattles like an old half track but that's huntin in Pa. I have been offered many a 760 but I haven't bitten yet. Leaving them for the next generation you know.
You're not the only PA. hunter that doesn't own a 760 in 06.
Though I will one day inherit my Dad's vintage 1964 at some point.
I've been a PA. Savage 99C user since I started hunting in 73.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Cool, I didn't know they had camera's back then let alone cartridge guns. LOL I started deer hunting back in 74. Seen a lot of variety of guns back then from antiques to Mil. surplus to the latest mag bolt gun, one thing they had in common was blued steel and walnut stocks.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

1964 advertisement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

walks with gun wrote:Cool, I didn't know they had camera's back then let alone cartridge guns. LOL I started deer hunting back in 74. Seen a lot of variety of guns back then from antiques to Mil. surplus to the latest mag bolt gun, one thing they had in common was blued steel and walnut stocks.
The 1973 deer camp camera. :wink:
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I wanted a traditional 30-30 back in 74, but dad bought me a Remington 600 in .243, don't remember when they introduced the 600 series but kinda wishes I still had it now.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I'm thinking if I ever hunt NE PA again I'll carry one of my 444's and my 6.5-06 up there .
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

walks with gun wrote:I wanted a traditional 30-30 back in 74, but dad bought me a Remington 600 in .243, don't remember when they introduced the 600 series but kinda wishes I still had it now.
A good friend of mine growing up had a Remington Model 600 Mohawk in 6mm he did very well with.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Back in the 1970's PENNA deer camps, the campfire topic was which one was the better hard woods mountain deer rifle, between the 71 Winchester .348 carbine and the Remington 760 3006 carbine I got both :twisted:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have to admit, except for one uncle, we all used bolt actions. I started with a right handed Remington in .243. This was a "family" rifle that just about all of us for two generations used as a starter gun.

When it was time to move to a 30-06, which is the only cartridge all but the aforementioned uncle used, I again went to Remington, but this time a southpaw version.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Great pic!

Add some snow and it could be any one of the hunting cabins around my neck of the woods last November...clothes and all.

Our camp might have had one or two non lever guns instead of the other way around. Our group last deer hunting consisted of twelve guys...all carried a lever but one.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Something I always thought woulda been good up there was a Remington 700 or 760 in 35 Whelen if you were a deer and bear chaser . I used a 700 in 35 Whelen a couple years and of course it did fine on VA white tails .
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!