Rabid racoons

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Rabid racoons

Post by wolfdog »

Local animal control caught 2 raccoons that they believe to be rabid not 200 feet form my house today. Good thing my dog has his shots and is not much on chasing critters.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rabid racoons

Post by hfcable »

wolfdog wrote:Local animal control caught 2 raccoons that they believe to be rabid not 200 feet form my house today. Good thing my dog has his shots and is not much on chasing critters.
scarier than a grizzly in many ways.
cable
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I had to take the Rabies series of shots when I was five years old. Not fun ,I can tell you that. That was 63 years ago and I can still remember them today.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Good luck on keeping it at bay.
It is not the critic who counts
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Wow, that is way too close!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

What state? We get those things all the time in Pennmsylvania........too many people are taking the land from animals.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Rabies was considered epidemic in my area a few years ago. I knew two guys that had been chased by rabid skunks. After that, they kept guns handy and shot all they saw. I do the same, though its mostly that I just dont like them around, having had my dogs sprayed several times over the years. If I smell a skunk around, I'll make every effort to find it and shoot it if possible. None had acted crazy, but I dont give them much chance. Shoot on sight.

No raccoons around that I've heard of or seen.

30-30 turns skunks inside out.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Florida
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Coons are meaner than heck when hacked off, even if not rabid.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:Coons are meaner than heck when hacked off, even if not rabid.
+1
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
+1
Yep, the one that took up residence under my spa was really ticked off when I discovered his entry and blocked it off. He then tried to take up residence under my house. All I can say is SSS.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

My cousin and I also had to take the shots at about six. that was almost seventy years ago. The needle broke on my last shot so I got to take an extra one.

hayabusa
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I keep several Hav-a-Heart traps on hand to keep the coons at bay.

The last one I killed cleaned out my chicken operation before I got him.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

rabies makes it's rounds in W Texas every few years or so, invariably in the skunk, coon, and sometimes fox population. Last rabid coon I saw was wobbling around half starved looking during the daytime, about two years ago. I don't like to kill stuff I'm not gonna eat, but there are the sad exceptions. The .45 ACP is not so particular about killing as I am :? The bubonic plague makes it's occasional rounds as well, yeah, the "Black Death." :shock:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

octagon wrote:rabies makes it's rounds in W Texas every few years or so, invariably in the skunk, coon, and sometimes fox population. Last rabid coon I saw was wobbling around half starved looking during the daytime, about two years ago. I don't like to kill stuff I'm not gonna eat, but there are the sad exceptions. The .45 ACP is not so particular about killing as I am :? The bubonic plague makes it's occasional rounds as well, yeah, the "Black Death." :shock:
I drilled one thru the head with a 800fps BB a couple months ago. It was being nasty on the back porch. DRT. (It was only <10 feet away)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

octagon wrote:rabies makes it's rounds in W Texas every few years or so, invariably in the skunk, coon, and sometimes fox population.

Rabies is way serious stuff. Sad how it affects critters that get it, but any signs of having it, its best to put them down. The state likes to have the critter to test if theres any question of rabies, they prefer they not be shot in the head.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Wolfdog, I'm not sure where you are but here in Fla I sometimes see on the news that some counties will often drop dog biscuit type treats for the raccoon in areas where they have been having problems with a lot of rabid animals. The biscuits are treated with a rabies vaccine to help prevent the spread of the disease. You might check with your county health dept to see if they have plans to do any of it in your area. I'm not sure how they keep track to determine if there is a need for the program in an area. I know the have done it in Hillsborough, Polk, and Pasco counties in the past.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Here in the Dallas area, it is skunk mating season and the skunks are getting killed on the highways. Highway 287 has a skunky odor from Waxahachie to Ennis. I hope that rabies is not making the rounds. I haven't heard anything, and that is usually a good thing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

keep the 22 handy...
dang coons are everywhere...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

RIHMFIRE wrote:keep the 22 handy...
dang coons are everywhere...
For sure. I have not been wacking any because the neighbors like them, I think now they won't be too bothered if I do some population control.
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

We have plenty of racoons in Portland, Oregon. Great big 30+ lb racoons. We have a 23 lb Siamese cat that looks small in comparison. But cannot do anything about them because it it is illegal to discharge a firearm within the city limits and all the PETA people around here. My wife thinks the babies are cute, but when we are lounging on our back deck and one around 30lbs comes up and is within 6 or 7 feet of me I tend to want to get back inside the house. FAST. Of course the coyotes are moving in also, along with bears and cougars.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Maybe you should consider a good .22 or .25 cal air rifle. Hatsan makes some nice .25 cal springers. For a reasonable price.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jeepnik wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:
+1
Yep, the one that took up residence under my spa was really ticked off when I discovered his entry and blocked it off. He then tried to take up residence under my house. All I can say is SSS.
A bit over 30 years ago, I was driving down the road and saw a bunch of baby racoons in a small tree right beside the road. Sure enough, right at the side of the road by them was the mother, hit by a car, dead on the road. I went home and got a box and pair of heavy gloves - figured I'd rescue them. Mean little suckers bit the living heck out of my hands - fortunately not through the gloves. Well, I rescued them against their will... :lol: