Robert E. Lee's HQ Flag Pic.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Robert E. Lee's HQ Flag Pic.....

Post by Blaine »

I read that his wife made it for him....Do any of you know the story behind the shape the stars are in?

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bdhold

Re: Robert E. Lee's HQ Flag Pic.....

Post by bdhold »

The Ark of the Covenant
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

bulldog1935 wrote:The Ark of the Covenant
Thanks!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

The top 11 stars in the arc are for the original 11 states who seceded. The other 2 are for the others who they thought were about to secede or actually did it later. Why the arc, I don't know. Early Confederate flags had the 11 in a circle.

This is the Confederate flag, not the battle flag on top of the General Lee.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

M. M. Wright wrote:The top 11 stars in the arc are for the original 11 states who seceded. The other 2 are for the others who they thought were about to secede or actually did it later. Why the arc, I don't know. Early Confederate flags had the 11 in a circle.

This is the Confederate flag, not the battle flag on top of the General Lee.

What do you mean this is "the" Confederate flag? This was never a National Flag of the Confederacy. Just a flag he flew at his headquarters.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Rube,

Take a look a Wiki... You will see that this was the 1st Confederate flag known as "The Stars and Bars". There were a couple of other designs later but I don't think a great many were made. Saved their money for guns and ammo.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I'm partial to the 3rd National Confederate flag, myself. The only way to change it would be to reconvene the Confederate Congress and have them vote on it. Long shall she wave over Dixie Land.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The First National Flag of the Confederacy (aka Stars and Bars) will have anywhere from 7 to 13 stars, usually in a circle.
I'm not familiar with this particular flag and will have to read up on it for my own curiosity's sake,

They didn't have telephones or internet. Telegraphs were intermittent. Print news was very slow and delayed. It was impossible for every one in the Confederacy to be on the same page and have the exact same flag, which was made by hand.
Lots of personal variations...

http://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/med ... 50mets.xml
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

M. M. Wright wrote:Rube,

Take a look a Wiki... You will see that this was the 1st Confederate flag known as "The Stars and Bars". There were a couple of other designs later but I don't think a great many were made. Saved their money for guns and ammo.

This is not the stars and bars. This was neither of the three national flags.

Its similar to the first national flag but this is not it.

As a history "buff" I happen to really do a lot of research on the Civil War. I am also a member of the SCV. I had many of my family serve the Confederacy and this just happens to be something that I am very interested in.

Not trying to nit pick or anything. Just a simple correction on the First National Flag of the Confederacy (Stars and Bars)

For a visual reference

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_t ... of_America