Looking for suggestions on a custom Marlin 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HairyHook
Levergunner

Looking for suggestions on a custom Marlin 45-70

Post by HairyHook »

I am looking at getting a Marlin tuned up for a ucoming brown bear hunt. So far I am thinking I would start with a 1894 or XLR in SS, 20" barrel with a brake, tuned action, and a scout scope with a XS peep as back-up.

What I am looking for are any thoughts or suggestions that have worked well for others, or warnings of things that have not. Also, any recommendations for a gunsmith to do the work. I know that there are a number of quality folks out there, but I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks

HairyHook
HairyHook
Levergunner

Post by HairyHook »

My typo - I meant a Marlin 1895.

Sorry

HairyHook
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

If your going after bear, skip the XS site and get a Brockman. The XS is not pretected at all and if bumped has the possibility of bending or breaking off. Brockman can also tune it and install his proprietary brake.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Disc brakes have more power than drum brakes. :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:If your going after bear, skip the XS site and get a Brockman. The XS is not pretected at all and if bumped has the possibility of bending or breaking off. Brockman can also tune it and install his proprietary brake.
Frank, honestly, I have the AO (XS) and it's an anvil.........Not that the Brockman isn't good....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Buy some Reloader 7 powder and some hornady 350 grain FP's and start loading and do not stop until you break 2000 fps.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

AndyM wrote:Buy some Reloader 7 powder and some hornady 350 grain FP's and start loading and do not stop until you break 2000 fps.
Pffft. I can do that with a 405gr and H4198. :lol:

Blaine, must be a mental thing with that ghost ring just sticking out there on the XS but I dont like it.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Blaine, must be a mental thing with that ghost ring just sticking out there on the XS but I dont like it.]

You musta never done any "streakin' " , Frank ! :roll: :mrgreen:
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

XS work great.
Go with MicPherson as your Gunsmith.
A first rate man to deal with.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

I guess I would just set it up with a Skinner peep, firesight up front, and spend the leftover money on Garret or BB ammo.

Grab a box o' feminin napkins and shoot er till your nose bleeds.

Burnt ammo will help get you slicked up to deal with one of them big boys in the pucker brush they frequent.

Invest a few cents in a good rubber "O" ring to lock the crossbolt safety in the off position. Very disconcerting to hear a click when you want a bang.

Them coastal brownies are impressive to say the least. Good luck.
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Check out: http://www.wildwestguns.com/

I'd love to have a Co-Pilot in 457 WWMagnum with their Kevlar furniture. Talk about a gun built for the elements. But really spendy.
Old Law Dawg
encore4me
Levergunner

Post by encore4me »

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Use the Kodiak bullet in 405 gr. In a 18.5" barrel you can get them to go 2000 fps. Grizzly Cartridge will sell ammo witih that bullet all ready to go. Due to proprietary powder blending they can get the bullets going at 2000 fps + with much lower pressure than what we regular folks can cook up with what is available to us. We are taking a client for browns in the spring. Grizzly loaded his 450 Marlin with 405gr Kodiaks at 2070 fps and the pressure is the same as the commercial 350gr load off the shelf.

Buy the best QD scope rings you can get. I like Leupold, but there are some others that should be just as good.

I prefer the XS with the largest hole. It is bigger than any other brand offered and works great for quick shooting. A small colored bead will give you more target view and highlight making it easier to center in a snap. The blades are good but not quite as fast and easy to center when seconds are precious. The Williams Firesight is bright but small at .060. The Marbles is almost as bright but bigger at .090. For longer range or precision, the smaller one is more accurate. For close range big animals the bigger one is easier to pick up quickly.

Depending on whether you are spring or fall hunting, choose your powder wisely if you reload. 3031 is very temperature sensitive and doesnt like humidity too much either. RL7 tends to show a lot of deviation in velocity at any extreme temperature on either end. I don't have enough experience with other powders but 4198 and 4895 have a reputation for being stable throughout a wide range of conditions.

Get a bear claw extractor and an coated or titanium magazine plug. You might not need either, but the odds of either of them failing due to gunk, temperature or other matters is far less than the odds of the factory parts failing.

Make sure your stock dimensions are such that you can work the lever while keeping your head on the stock and the gun in your shoulder. Too long will make the forward stroke of the lever awkward and too short will pull the gun out of your shoulder (or make you get hit in the head with the hammer - been there done that).

FWIW - I use my 45-70 for my primary gun and to back-up clients on bears (any kind), buffalo (water, cape, yak, bison, watusi, longhorn), hogs and African large game. I shoot factory Grizzly Cartridge 405 gr Kodiak and 405 gr Punch bullets ammo. I had the Marbles orange bead but I just switched to the Williams. Either would do. I use an XS rear sight with the largest aperature they sell. My scope is 32mm and sits in Leupold QR mounts on a weaver two slot base mounted with 4 screws. I have 5 rounds available to deal with any situation.

Best of luck to you!
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Somebody on this board has one named "PUGSLIE"., hopefully they'll post a pic of it. If I had the time and money, I'd set one up just like that. IMO, it's just about perfect for my needs.

:D
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Here is another vote for McPherson. I have known him for years and we have done several projects together. Great guy and knows his way around the Marlin like few others. Regards. 1886.
rroberts
Levergunner

Post by rroberts »

Do you have McPherson's contact information? Does he have a website?
... Rusty
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

encore4me wrote:My XS has wings too! :D
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... 0winged&s=
That is a nice upgrade, they're gettin closer.

However Brockmans front site appeals to me more, and it's more like the one issued me by Uncle Sugar. :lol:

11B30
HairyHook
Levergunner

Post by HairyHook »

Thanks for all of the help. I am learning a lot here.

Thanks again,

HairyHook
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Vince Lupo has hunted the Big 5, in Africa with his Marlin and had Jim Brockman do his work. He really doles out the praise for his work. The solid performance it gave him would be enough for me.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/031001.asp
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't have a .45-70 yet, but I am glad to hear all of this advice. When I get my "economy stimulus package" I plan on buying a Marlin in .45-70. Thanks to all!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

HairyHook,
Here's my XLR that I sent to Clements Custom Guns. They cut it to 20", crowned the barrel and replaced the lever. I added the XS sights and Leupold scout scope with the quick release. I have no complaints. Whatever you decide, good luck.

WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

rroberts wrote:Do you have McPherson's contact information? Does he have a website?
http://levergun.com/
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Montanan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Montanan »

Now if you want to really upgrade??????

http://www.grizzlycustom.com/photos/Marlin_1895G_5/

But pricy :shock:

Personally all I am doing as I spoke with Tim Skinner and only live up the road bout 50 miles from him, is put one of his Skinner sights on the back end, keep the front since that is what he recomends for the 1895G, and be done with it. I roll my own for our part of the country 8)
AkHunter45-70
Levergunner

XLR

Post by AkHunter45-70 »

I am doing this very same thing but i've already made my choice. I have the Marlin 1895XLR in 45-70, installed the WWG's ghost ring and Williams front firesight. It's currently at my smith's place having a Bearproof ejector installed, trigger job, dovetail slot filled and bead blast. When I get it back I have some custom leather to add to it, a cheekpad with 5 bullet loops on the opposite side and a Slimline padded sling made by Lever at Levergun Leatherworks. I will also be shooting 420 grain Garrett Hammerheads through it. I thought long and hard about putting a scope on this rifle but I wanted something different from my bolt rifles. I've been scouting for over 3 weeks for a brown bear and have several spotted in my hunting area. Weather has warmed up considerably and they are starting to show themselves.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I just did a few things to my Guide Gun:
http://www.gunblast.com/Leupold-Custom4570.htm

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

rroberts wrote:Do you have McPherson's contact information? Does he have a website?
You can find Mic's info on this forum under leveraction smiths. Good Luck and do let us know how you are faring. 1886.
Dan K
Levergunner

Post by Dan K »

All of these sights are nice, but also get a good trigger job done, so that you can make good use of those nifty sights. 8)
Dan

Post Script: So what happened? I vanished from the roll call! :x and had to re-register.