The new Henry Original

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

The new Henry Original

Post by Marvin S »

Anyone seen one yet and how did it look fit and finish wise? I seen what I assume was it at a show today being marked at 1900 bucks and said made in USA. I did not handle it as the guy was always yacking with someone and figured I would ask before hand. From what I seen I was highly disappointed.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Re: The new Henry Original

Post by GonnePhishin »

Why did you feel disappointed? While I have not coon-fingered THAT model, I have handled the regular Henry's and while they are heavier than Marlins or Winny's, the fit and finish has been excellent along with a very smooth action.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

There is two other threads on Lever guns right now about the same rifle. I am not a Henry rifle fan as they are too heavy for what I would call a hunting rifle............................
BUT if I were to put MY money down on a "NEW REPRODUCTION" of that rifle it would be the Henry made in the USA .The one I looked at was Outstanding.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Gaps in wood fit at tang I could fit my finger nail in. Wood was thicker on one side vs other at tang. The whole gun was buffed to death. Could hardly tell it was an octagon barrel. Brass receiver was very wavy with dishes around pin/screw holes.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

That in No way describes the one I looked at. I would wonder if some one was trying to sell a counterfeit " knock off reproduction". ?????.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I would wonder if some one was trying to sell a counterfeit " knock off reproduction". ?????.
Good Point, especially if at a show.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

.45colt wrote:That in No way describes the one I looked at. I would wonder if some one was trying to sell a counterfeit " knock off reproduction". ?????.
+1. I would sure be looking for another one straight out of the box at a gun shop.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

It was a dealer that had other Henry rifles. I might go back tomorrow since Sundays are slower and take a closer look. Besides a guy had a nice 1888 trap door for a good price.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

I do not care much for the finish on that rifle in the video, but I have to say I was impressed with the guy's shooting. I know the targets are closer than they appear but he was doing right well with that rifle.

I could see owning one, but a steel receiver would make me happier.
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

But none of the originals had a steel receiver.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

And they weren't centerfires either. At least not so far as I have know (admittedly not much).
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Went back and handled it. Dealer ordered it for a guy and it shows up six months later which is understandable. Dealer claims the guy did not remember ordering it so there it sits. I suspect he seen it in person and passed. Maybe I expected similar workmanship that USFA's put into their guns.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have not gone out of my way to look at lots of Henry rifles, but the ones I have looked at were exquisite little jewels, nearly perfect in every way. It sounds like that particular rifle needs to be sent back to the factory. There is zero way that the owner of Henry would want a rough-azzed example like that out in the world.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Gaucho Gringo wrote:But none of the originals had a steel receiver.
Some of the early Henry Repeating Rifles had 'iron' frames..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

Marvin S wrote:Gaps in wood fit at tang I could fit my finger nail in. Wood was thicker on one side vs other at tang. The whole gun was buffed to death. Could hardly tell it was an octagon barrel. Brass receiver was very wavy with dishes around pin/screw holes.
I thought you said you didn't handle it.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Buck Elliott wrote:
adding to that, the original rifle was designed to shoot .44RF black powder
designing the current model to shoot modern ammo is a good thing
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Buck Elliott wrote:
I seem to recall reading "somewhere" that only the first few hundred or so were made with "iron" frames due to a problem with their brass (gunmetal supplier)... And the first sale was to a New York Volunteer Company... can't remember the number... or commander's name. Which is why they command the highest prices of all Henry's amongst collectors... IF they're in good condition. There's often the number 14,000 given as the total production, but Madis in "The Winchester Book" states that in 1866 the Model 1866s were serialized along with the final Henry rifles and while none appear with a serial # greater than 14,000, only ~12,000 were produced.

Hence: http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/excel ... L_SoWM5Aic
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Well, lots of good info/history, but anybody shoot/own one?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Well this one looks like the one I coon fingered...http://www.gunblast.com/Henry.htm
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Washita wrote:
Marvin S wrote:Gaps in wood fit at tang I could fit my finger nail in. Wood was thicker on one side vs other at tang. The whole gun was buffed to death. Could hardly tell it was an octagon barrel. Brass receiver was very wavy with dishes around pin/screw holes.
I thought you said you didn't handle it.
The first time I went I did not pick it up, only sticking my finger nail at butt stock to tang fit and looking over the finish. If you read my second post where I went back the next day and actually handled it confirming my first observations which I stand by.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

So is this an all new rifle, or has the company switched hands in the last year or two? The Big Boy and similar rifles have been out for some time now, and hear lots of good things about Henry in general. A friend has a Yellow Boy(?) in .22 magnum, and it is an awful nice little gun.

Not sure where they are getting these prices from; the Big Boys are selling for a little under $900 here, which is enough. :o Should I be expecting prices to change on all these rifles?
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.