Anyone got a Win 94 in the following sn range?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Anyone got a Win 94 in the following sn range?

Post by Canuck Bob »

My 94 is 18001XX and came to me with a Lyman 66 steel sight installed. I thought it was an early 50s. New research from the Winchester pdf suggests 1951. I'm wondering if anyone in a similar sn range is drilled and tapped for a receiver sight? I suspect this was an early mod done when the rifle was purchased. Hoping there are some originals d&t'ed.

I'm playing with the rifle while watching hockey. This rifle is very clean and it appears the sight is perfectly installed. What an outstanding rifle the 94 is.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone got a Win 94 in the following sn range?

Post by ollogger »

one of mine is a 150 thousand younger not D&T, wish it was

ollogger
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I have a 51 ish 30wcf that is factory DT
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

ollogger wrote:one of mine is a 150 thousand younger not D&T, wish it was

ollogger
Thats simple to fix. :D

Your local hardware store likely as the required tap and proper size drill bit. Using the post-64 Weaver side mount base (3 holes) as a guide you can get it in exactly the right spot as the factory. You'll need a screw made for that though. The older lever pin plug screws are smaller diameter than post 64 guns. I've had a couple made to use the post 64 mounts on pre-64 guns.

I've done 2 Browning 86's, a Browning 92, an original Winchester 86, and maybe one or two other somethings I think. I havent been struck by lightning yet. I decided if I was going to own it, I may as well have it as useful as reasonably possible. The only one I regret was the orginal 86, and only because I traded it off. Wish I still had it, and the receiver sight still in place.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Page 33 of Robert C. Renneberg's book "Winchester Model 94" illustrates the two factory tapped receiver sight holes and states they appeared in the 1,790,000 serial range and prevailed until the introduction of the angle eject model.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I have a 1951 1,807,XXX. No D&T
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I'm gonna change my memory. The one I have that is factory DT for receiver sight is in the 209**** range supposed to be 1955. Sorry.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

1,723,7xx made in 1950 and not D&T'd for a receiver sight.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

My very limited knowledge of these says that it was in '53 that they were all d&t'd. But I believe you could order one factory d&t'd all along.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

My flatband 32 WS is 1522xxx and IS drilled and tapped.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have a 94 30-30 that I bought in California in 1958 with serial # 1696964 that is not d & t. Any one have a year of manufacture for it? Several years ago I bought a 94 marked 30WCF numbered 1270827, what year for it?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Got a rare brain wave and visited some auction site pictures. My rifle's drill and tap locations are not factory locations which are located rear near the bolt block area. There is a small screw head a little over an inch from the butt stock joint on the left. Pictures show the factory sight holes are roughly straddling this screw head's lateral position. My sight is mounted farther to the rear than factory holes and the sight is mounted as far rearward as possible considerably back from some pics on the auction sites. The rear mount screw hole is just forward of the sliding bolt block a tiny bit. Do others agree with this analysis?

It is interesting that there are reported sight holes in sn's lower than mine? The screw heads are perfect and I'm hesitant to fool around with them.

geobru and J Miller have similar sns and are not fitted with mount holes!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

On my rifle, the center of the rear d&t screw head is about 7/16" forward of the rear edge of the bolt.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I have a pair of flatbands, both date to the same year as I do..1947. One is drilled for a tang sight only, the other is undrilled. I have resisted the urge to drill the undrilled one for a Williams/Lyman receiver sight long enough...it's going under the drill press as soon as a Williams side mount scope mount gets here (for locating the holes in the correct position). You won't get the proper drill and tap at your local hardware.. The tap is 6-48 and the drill is a number drill. You can buy the set at Midway or Brownells. HTH.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I bought mine new in about 1957. I was a big kid and added a pad for LOP and a williams foolproof right away. I never had to re zero it. It`s still accurate.

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Nice rifle Bill. A real hunting rifle. Your sight is farther forward of mine for sure.

Thanks Flint, your measurement confirms mine was not factory drilled. The rear screw head is just forward of the bolt block.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

JerryB wrote:I have a 94 30-30 that I bought in California in 1958 with serial # 1696964 that is not d & t. Any one have a year of manufacture for it? Several years ago I bought a 94 marked 30WCF numbered 1270827, what year for it?
Jerry, my info shows your 30WCF to be from that '43 to '48 period, and your newer one to be a 1950 baby.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

my 1939 94 32WS is d&t for a tang sight, so I put one on it...
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Earl thanks for the help, I thot the 30wcf was in that range but some charts showed 1939. I like the 30wcf better just the feel of it is nicer than the 1950. I have been thinking of sending it to JES to make another 38-55, it sure would be a nice one.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Don't have the serial number on me but my one dated at 1952 was not factory D&T.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain