OT, bluegrass music

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

OT, bluegrass music

Post by shooter »

I just got back from my first bluegrass festival in Littlefield, TX. I've never seen so much talent in one place in my life! Those guys can really burn it up on the instruments.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Never use to listen to it (no blue grass in the great white north) but when I left Michigan, a friend of mine turned me on to it. I haven't turned back yet. Of course I still listen to the motor city madman :wink: It is great music
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

If Ted played bluegrass, I'd listen to it!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

There is a station here in Tampa that plays Bluegrass. One of t he shows is on Monday nights from 7-9 PM eastern. If you go to www.WMNF.org you can listen to the show live or they will archive the shows for a week at a time.
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Here's a good place to download some music. Prices are reasonable, and you can pick and choose rather than being saddled with a CD from which you only like one or two tracks...

http://www.efolkmusic.org
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I've been enjoying bluegrass music for 30 years or more. I play banjo and guitar.

Here's the big festival in SoCal every year:
Huck Finn Jubilee in Victorville over Father's Day weekend.
www.huckfinn.com

Cheers,

Carl
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Love it. So does Mrs. Hobie...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Can't get enough bluegrass. I grew up listening to the Grand Old Opry on the AM radio, and watching Flatt & Scruggs "Martha White Show", and The Jim & Jesse Show on black and white TV.

My car has a Sirius satellite radio and when I found the bluegrass channel I bought a lifetime subscription so I could listen to it. There are no local bluegrass stations around here. We do have an active bluegrass scene with a bunch of local bands playing at different venues. We also have a local bluegrass festival (I missed it this year because I was out of town).

One of my biggest regrets in life is not learning to play the banjo.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

66gto,

playing the banjo is easy.

it's sitting down every single day and practicing for hours on end that is difficult.

Cheers,

Carl
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

There's a band I really enjoy called The Legendary Shack Shakers. They're a blend of rock and bluegrass. Very loud, very energetic, and they put on an awesome show (I wouldn't stand in the front row, though).
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I love East Tennesse style bluegrass and mountain music. Bands like The Steeldrivers, The Steep Canyon Rangers and my new most favorite artist...Corrine West.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Best Bluegrass group ever... Reno and Smiley

Best Bluegrass song ever... Five Pounds of Possum by Reno and Smiley
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

new pig hunter wrote:66gto,

playing the banjo is easy.

it's sitting down every single day and practicing for hours on end that is difficult.

Cheers,

Carl
And that is the reason I never learned to play. :oops:

I do play a mean "air banjo" though!
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Blue grass, Country Gospel, Don't get any better...
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I love the Tennessee mountain style bluegrass too, but then again I love all bluegrass. There was a family band there this weekend that was just about the best all around band I've ever heard. They were excellent on their instruments, and their voices blend for some mean harmony. The banjo player is 18 and took second place at the last national banjo picking contest. The band's name is Triple L and they're from Portales, NM. They mainly do the bluegrass circuit here in NM and TX, but they'll be at Silver Dollar City sometime this year.

My favorite blugrass song is Wabash Canonball.

My goals this year are to become a better guitar picker, and better mandolin picker. I also plan to pick up the fiddle again and learn to play the dobro and harmonica. Now I just gotta find the time to practice.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Next to old Winchesters, Bluegrass music is one of my great passions in life!

I play 5-string banjo for a local group called "Last Minute Bluegrass." :lol: :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

The older I get the more I love bluegrass music. We have the Bill Monroe bluegrass festival every year here .Well worth checking out!

42nd Annual
Bill Monroe Memorial Bean Blossom Bluegrass Festival
June 14-21, 2008

Welcome to the Mecca of bluegrass and the oldest, continuous running bluegrass festival in the world! Now in our forty-second year, you can enjoy 8 fun-filled days of music, over 50 performing artists, music and instrument workshops, youth activities, and a lot of pickin' and jammin'.

http://www.beanblossom.com/FestivalsEve ... lMain.html
http://www.beanblossom.com/