What to do with a Marlin 336

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shaman
Levergunner

What to do with a Marlin 336

Post by shaman »

I have a Marlin 336. I have a lot of other good deer rifles, and I have to admit I was quite underwhelmed with 30-30 when I tried it on whitetail deer. For a lot of years, it was my sons' first deer rifle. Now they are all grown and shooting 30-06. I'm thinking of doing something with the 336.

1) I might get it reamed out to 30-30 AI
2) I might get it reamed out to 307 WIN
3) I might just leave it on the rack and wait for the grandchildren to start coming online.

What do you all think?

BTW: I've got no particular hatred of 30-30 or the 336 as it is. It's just that my preferences in deer rifles have evolved to where I prefer something in a 300 Savage on the low end and 35 Whelen on the top end, and a lot of 30-06 in the middle.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, Kentucky
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
BrentD

Re: What to do with a Marlin 336

Post by BrentD »

I think you should go back to hunting deer with it as is. It's a fine deer cartridge and not a bad elk cartridge for that matter.

But I wouldn't AI it. I can't see that doing anything except maybe giving you chambering issues.

You could bore it out to 38-55 however. But the deer won't be any deader.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

keep if for the grandkids. They are going to need a gun, and they wont get any cheaper, and future Marlin 336s will not be the quality that yours is.

OR Box it ups and send it to me. The 30-30 is my favorite cartridge!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The AI conversion is worthwhile, and I'm pleased with mine, but I'd only do it if you want something to tinker with. No deer is going to notice another 200 fps. It sounds like you have other preferred rifles anyway, so I'd probably just stick it in the back of the safe and wait for the grandkids.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can't imagine anything that grows in CONUS needing anything more than a well placed 170 grain Green Box to make it DRT.....Taking into account, of course, the range limitations of your shooting. We don't get long shots here in WETstern Washington rain forests....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree with those who said save it as is.
The early 336`s with their square cut barrel threads are not suited to the .307Win.
they had to be modified to V threads to handle the .308MX round.
The .30-30 AI is a fun round but the ballistic improvement is not all that great for the cost and trouble. Save it for the kids or sell it and buy something you want.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If you no longer want to use it, I'd opt for door #3 - The grandchildren will be ready before you know it. (I have two - one now 23 y.o., and his cousin 2 y.o.)

I've never had my .30-30 (Winchester 94 Trapper) fail me on a whitetail deer (or anything else I shot at).

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Trade it for a .35 Remington. The .35Rem has become one of my favorites, accurate and hits like a freight train.

I've never been a big fan of the .30WCF. I know that's blasphemy on this site but the round has never really "Done" it for me. And yes I've hunted with it and still own two of them.

I know I'll get lit up for this one!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

2ndovc wrote: I know I'll get lit up for this one!

jb 8)
Naw, everybody has their preferences. We'll just think you're the "weird guy". :D

There was a good long period of time where I didn't own a single 30-30, or any 30 caliber rifle for that matter. Now I have 3, 30-30's a 308 and a 30-06.
NRA Life Member
shaman
Levergunner

Post by shaman »

The vast majority of folks I tell about this think it's some defect in the hunter. It might be; however, I stopped using the Marlin myself over 10 years ago, because I was tired of shooting deer at reasonable distances and having them just look at me. Granted, we finally got the situation under control back in 2009; my son shot a nice doe with it during yute season. Still, despite several changes in bullet and load, I just could not get it to perform well for me. My one son took a deer with it after a few failed attempts and then switched to the M1 Garand and has been shooting 30-06 ever since. #3 son, Angus, got one doe with it and then switch to 30-06 as well.

Here's an example:
Like a Dog Returneth. . .

Since then, I've stuck with 308 WIN and 30-06 and 35 Whelen for the most part, and I've been quite happy and successful. This year, I started using 25-06, and was quite pleased with that. I'm a boiler-room shooter. I usually aim for taking out both lungs and the top of the heart with a broadside shot.

BTW: the load that finally worked for me was 150 grain Win Powerpoints over a full-house load of H4895.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I agree; leave it be.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

"...reasonable distances..." That could be the key.

I've shot deer with a 7mmRemMag and had them just look at me. Didn't happen when I hit them. Same as the .30-30. Dead deer from 25yds to over 200. But it requires a good hit! In the boiler room; heart/lungs. Neck shots can be iffy, IMO.

What BrentD said.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Griff, Ya mean ya have to hit em??? Maybe that`s what I have been going wrong. :lol: :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:"...reasonable distances..." That could be the key.

I've shot deer with a 7mmRemMag and had them just look at me. Didn't happen when I hit them. Same as the .30-30. Dead deer from 25yds to over 200. But it requires a good hit! In the boiler room; heart/lungs. Neck shots can be iffy, IMO.

What BrentD said.
I've seen the '06 shoot through the little blacktails we have out here without opening up. Those CoreLoks open up quite nicely at about any range.... Yes, there is such a thing as too much gun.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I would leave it be. I have had more 30-06 deer run with no reaction to a hit than 30-30. We always used the 170 gr corlokt though.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

TedH wrote:
2ndovc wrote: I know I'll get lit up for this one!

jb 8)
Naw, everybody has their preferences. We'll just think you're the "weird guy". :D
......who doesn't know that "dirty" is not a synonym for D$#@%%^!!!

:D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

I'd go with the folks that said door # 3 .

ps. Is Angus still piping ?
Last edited by 1894 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

horsesoldier03 wrote:keep if for the grandkids. They are going to need a gun, and they wont get any cheaper, and future Marlin 336s will not be the quality that yours is.

OR Box it ups and send it to me. The 30-30 is my favorite cartridge!

This gets my vote - either option! :lol:
Merle from PA
shaman
Levergunner

Post by shaman »

1894 wrote:I'd go with the folks that said door # 3 .

ps. Is Angus still piping ?
I'm thinking more and more like I might just take door #3 too. My hesitancy to shoot 30-30 is wholly based on illogic, but then so is deer hunting, right?

Angus? He stopped piping for a brief time-- concentrated on the banjo, then the fiddle, then the guitar, then. . .
When he goes back down to the KY/TN to hang with his hillbilly kin, he can sit in with them now. He's an amazing kid-- zero to Orange Blossom Special in less than 2 years.

He started piping again at the end of the summer. In the meanwhile, the bad he'd been competing with won the Worlds in Glasgow. When he found out, he was a little dejected.

"Look at it this way, son." I said. "You could have been the schmuck who tripped over his shoelace and screwed it up for everyone."

That made him happier.

He got his first deer all on his own this year-- first year hunting as an adult.

See The Last Weekend
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Now there is a young man to be proud of!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

As is, they aren't making any more.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

shaman
Levergunner

Post by shaman »

OK.
So, let's say I leave it alone. What would be a good circumstance for doing a 30-30 AI or 307 WIN conversion? Or has that no longer a good option?
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

There is quite a bit to be said for the well-placed shot.

I have never met a dead deer that could tell the difference between a .30-30 and a .30-06. :wink:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Or you could send it to JES Reboring and have done up in 35-30/30, 356Win, 38/55 or 356 Win.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TedH wrote:The AI conversion is worthwhile, and I'm pleased with mine, but I'd only do it if you want something to tinker with. No deer is going to notice another 200 fps. It sounds like you have other preferred rifles anyway, so I'd probably just stick it in the back of the safe and wait for the grandkids.
What he said...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
shaman
Levergunner

Post by shaman »

3leggedturtle wrote:Or you could send it to JES Reboring and have done up in 35-30/30, 356Win, 38/55 or 356 Win.

I thought of that, but why 35 instead of something like .307 WIN?
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Us big fans of the 30/30 are mostly cast bullet shooters: for cast bullets the standard 30/30 is close to perfection.

I wouldn't rechamber for anything you could do in 30 cal -- if you aren't impressed with the standard 30/30 you won't be impressed with the AI version either. For that matter, now we have LVR powder you can't beat the standard version very much with the AI version anyway (I get close to 2400 fps with the 170 grain bullet and the LVR powder, which is pretty much AI ballistics).

A great way to introduce a young shooter to larger cartridges would be loading the old 30/30 with either cast or plinker bullets at around 1300 fps. Full power loads out of the little carbine belt a young shooter more than I would want for such an introduction to "deer rifles", but the light loads are really really fun!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

"I thought of that, but why 35 instead of something like .307 WIN?"

Winchester beefed up the 94 to handle the .307. Early 336`s wont handle the pressures it produces for long.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

[quote="jnyork"]There is quite a bit to be said for the well-placed shot.
I concur.
shaman
Levergunner

Post by shaman »

OK, so if I get the general consensus correctly, 307 WIN conversions are dangerous, 30-30 AI is useless, and either you gotta love 30-30 for what it is or you just can't shoot straight?
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

that sounds about right :)
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

shaman wrote:OK, so if I get the general consensus correctly, 307 WIN conversions are dangerous, 30-30 AI is useless, and either you gotta love 30-30 for what it is or you just can't shoot straight?

Personally I wouldn't say that the AI conversion is useless, but I would question how much of a benefit it is - that plus a whole new set of reloading dies, etc. Years ago I had a 257 Roberts done up in AI, and it wasn't worth it to me, YMMV. :?
Merle from PA
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I have never found the 30/30 lacking, but I do reload with Barnes TSX bullets and it takes the old 30/30 to a new level.
That is a heck of a bullet.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Griff, Ya mean ya have to hit em??? Maybe that`s what I have been going wrong. :lol: :lol:
Yep, it's really hard to scare a deer to death... :roll:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

You sound bored. Buy a flintlock!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Nath wrote:You sound bored. Buy a flintlock!

N.
+10
shaman
Levergunner

Post by shaman »

It's funny you say that. I had not thought of it that way. Bored? I suppose. My youngest just got his first deer as an adult. I've spent every season since 2001 helping my sons. Now I'm looking at a sizeable hiatus until the first grandchild comes online.

It's also funny you mention flinters. I was looking at getting one a while back as a joint husband and wife shooting project. KYHillChick finally had to admit that she really does not have time for it at the moment.

Oh well. Maybe just trying to get the 336 back into the rotation as it is will be challenge enough for now. I'd be the first to admit I did not give it a fair shake.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

its all relative.

I grew up chasing deer with buckshot and old school slugs.

When I moved to a rifle county as an adult, I bought a Marlin 336 in 30-30 and thought that it the most incredible deer slayer imaginable. Killed many deer with it and none have required a second shot. I'm not even sure that any have required tracking now that I think of it. Of course I don't think I've ever shot over maybe 80 yards at a deer either. Often a shot longer than that means that the deer is on someone else's property anyways.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Enjoy it as a 30-30 it will be a great rifle for the grandkids to learn on and for you to pack in the woods. danny
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

JES doesn't go smaller that .338 and i like anything on the 30/30 case. Wanterd him to do a 38WCF on a NEF Handi-rifle but he only does .410 diameter and not .400 or .401. Plus I just like .35's and and .375's. I have plenty of other 30/30's and a 308 to play with.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

throw it in the closet. The deterioration of Remington all but guarantees it will be a classic eventially.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.