A New-To-Me Revolver ARRIVED !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

A New-To-Me Revolver ARRIVED !

Post by Pete44ru »

I bought a nickle-plated .36 cal Model 1851 from a fella on the Left Coast, today (last week), for low dollars. (Maybe a defarbed clone ? )

I'm thinking that it'll show up at my door just before Santy Clauz visits. ;)

EDIT: The steel-frame (I tested it with a magnet), nickle-plated (except for rammer, cylinder & brass gripframe) .36 cal Model 1851 Colt clone arrived in my mailbox today !

It's in better-than-expected condition, and looks much better in person, than the pics.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: A New-To-Me Revolver Is On The Way

Post by Blaine »

'Splain some more about it.....I'm ignorant on those old shooters.... :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Pete44ru wrote: Image
I'm thinking that it'll show up at my door just before Santy Clauz visits. ;)

You are going to shoot Santa Claus? ;)

Talk about a Scrooge!!!

Just kiddin'
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Did they claim it is an original? It could be. Lots of fakes out there ,so let us know what you find out.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Chuck - The seller's ad stated it had Italian proofmark(s), but he didn't know anything about Italian maker's marks.
He stated he thought it was defarbed and "antiqued" by a CAS participent.

Blaine - I hope I'm not preachin' to the choir, so:

Colt originally used 3 different frame sizes - the small/petite frame .31 cal Model 1849, the medium/full-sized .36 cal Model 1851, and the large frame .44 cal Walker & Dragoon's.

Colt used the small M1849 frame for the later M1862; and the M1851 frame for the later M1860 - then discontimuing the very large framed Walker & Dragoon's.

This type of C&B (cap & ball) revolver is a repro of a Colt Model 1851 Navy, caliber = .36 (the "Army" caliber was .44), and is the full-size 6-shot frame (but not an even larger "magnum"/Dragoon frame) that Colt used on both the .36 M1851 Navy and the .44 M1860 Army.

To accommodate a larger caliber than the small & medium frames were originally made for, Colt did the same thing on the M1862 as they did with the M1860 - they milled a rebate in the forward half of the floor of the cylinder opening in the frames, to accept a cylinder that was the original smaller-caliber diameter at the rear half, but with a front half of a larger diameter to accept the bigger ammo/ball.

The result was the same .36 or .44 power in a smaller frame, and with 5 shots ILO the full compliment of 6 shots.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

As long as the frame is steel under that plating... good. Some brass framed Italian clones were silver plated also... no Bueno.

And some early '51 clones weren't marked with the maker's name, etc, just their proof marks. Some proof marks were even placed under the loading lever. But many are great shooters! Even tho' ASM rebolvers are generally panned, my mid '80s 1851 assembled of left over Uberti parts from the Colt 2nd gen run is one such.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Chuck - The seller's ad stated it had Italian proofmark(s), but he didn't know anything about Italian maker's marks.

Colt originally used 3 different frame sizes - the small/petite frame .31 cal Model 1849, the medium/full-sized .36 cal Model 1851, and the large frame .44 cal Walker & Dragoon's.

Colt used the small M1849 frame for the later M1862; and the M1851 frame for the later M1860 - then discontimuing the very large framed Walker & Dragoon's.

This type of C&B (cap & ball) revolver is a repro of a Colt Model 1851 Navy, caliber = .36 (the "Army" caliber was .44), and is the full-size 6-shot frame (but not an even larger "magnum"/Dragoon frame) that Colt used on both the .36 M1851 Navy and the .44 M1860 Army.

To accommodate a larger caliber than the small & medium frames were originally made for, Colt did the same thing on the M1862 as they did with the M1860 - they milled a rebate in the forward half of the floor of the cylinder opening in the frames, to accept a cylinder that was the original smaller-caliber diameter at the rear half, but with a front half of a larger diameter to accept the bigger ammo/ball.

The result was the same .36 or .44 power in a smaller frame, and with 5 shots ILO the full compliment of 6 shots.

Thanks 8) This "choir" don't know those Colt songs....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

They are fun shooters if nothing else. Have fun!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Muzzleloading Forum? I gave it serious thought if only to find out what it really was then decided I didn't need another Navy. Price was right though.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Hawkeye2 wrote:
Muzzleloading Forum? I
gave it serious thought if only to find out what it really was then decided I didn't need another Navy. Price was right though.

Yep - muzzy forum.

The seller took down the ad for the pistol I bought, and has now posted an ASM (Armi San Marcos - a pretty well-made gun, IMO) .44 cal Model 1860 Army @ $225.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/pp-cl ... duct/11177

I.R.N.Enabler . ;)

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Elegant looking thang. Makes me wish I had the time to get into black powder. Nice purchase!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Pete44ru wrote:
Hawkeye2 wrote:

Yep - muzzy forum.

The seller took down the ad for the pistol I bought, and has now posted an ASM (Armi San Marcos - a pretty well-made gun, IMO) .44 cal Model 1860 Army @ $225.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/pp-cl ... duct/11177

I.R.N.Enabler . ;)

The last time I was at Cabelas, they had the brass frame in either 5 1/2" and 7 1/2" barrels for $179. I have an 1860 in .44 cal that I love to shoot. I sure would like to have a nice 5 1/2" barrel to serve as a second.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

My first experience with those clones were a pair of brass framed repo .36 cal colt 1851 navys. Bought em for $29.95 apiece in the mid 1960`s. Shot one of them a few times. Fun to shoot! Later a friend wanted them and traded me a NIB Ruger .256 Hawkeye for them. Later in 1986 the Ruger went for I think, $1,200s to help finance my divorice lawyer. Seen another Ruger Hawkeye at a gunshop yesterday in Beaver for $3,200`s!! Soooo in theory, $59.90 could bring $3,300s had I waited 50 years! First one I have seen since I sold mine in 1986!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

These are the 2nd generation colt made colt 1860 armys. They made them back in the 1970`s or so. I think these were called 150 year centenial US Cavarys. I bought them when I was dealing hot and heavy back in the late 70`s for not much. They also went to finance that lawyer! Bet they would be worth plenty today! Just another story of my life.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Booger Bill wrote:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A New-To-Me Revolver ARRIVED !

Post by Pete44ru »

The M-1851 arrived today from PRK (California)

I'm a bit conflicted, about the worn-looking walnut grip...............................

One one hand, I usually like them pristine (and try to keep them that way).

OTOH, I like the worn look on this defarbed revolver - IMHO, it helps with the "old-timey" look of a gennie.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A New-To-Me Revolver ARRIVED !

Post by Booger Bill »

Just for the sake of show and tell, here is a original Remington New Model Army I have owned for about 35 years. It was refinished long before I bought it. Reblued, a red post king front sight added and the rear hog wallow was squared up. I havent shot it in the last 30 years but it was as accurate as most any revolver when I did shoot it. .44 caliber. I wish I knew if it saw action in the civil war or elsewhere.
Yeah, too bad its refinished but I like it all the same. Its a very old refinish hinted by the antique front site.
Sorry, the picture was to big to post. Imagine it!
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Pete44ru wrote:.

The odd thing is that when the small frame .31's and .36's were converted to cartridges they were all .38's, they just rebated the .31's to accommodate the .38 cylinders.