Pre 64 M94 carrier question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Smoke12
Levergunner

Pre 64 M94 carrier question

Post by Smoke12 »

Not long ago I picked up a 1953 model 94 in 30-30. When I flip the lever open, I really have to pop/snap it hard for the carrier to bring the next round up. If I work the action slow, carrier doesn't rise, it really needs that last little 'snap'. Typical or does some polishing need to be done? I do have a 1967 Canadian that brings the shell up much easier. I don't believe this rifle has been shot a lot so perhaps just putting more rounds though it will slick it up? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!
Thanks
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Re: Pre 64 M94 carrier question

Post by hondo1892 »

My 1920's Winny doesn't need any extra snap to raise the carrier. You have to make sure you move the lever completely forward but no extra force is needed. My old girl has seen plenty of use though.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I have one that was made in 49 & sounds like yours & mine are twins
I just lever that one a little faster & harder, have some older & some newer
the slickest is a 375 Big Bore

ollogger
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Take it apart, clean and oil it. Then go shoot it and break it in. My 1950 was like that when I first got it. An old rifle with near no use on it. As I've handled it, worked the action, and shot it, it's gradually easing up.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

My '51 doesn't do that.

I'd be very much inclined to say DON'T POLISH ANYTHING, since peoples' definition of the term can vary from a very light stoning (correct use of the term in this context) to heavy-handed material removal & dimensional/tolerance alteration with a Dremel tool, and they're no longer manufacturing parts for those guns.

Clean it thoroughly (without removing the cartridge guides), and either live with the results or have a qualified gunsmith check it out.
Denis
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

DPris wrote:My '51 doesn't do that.

I'd be very much inclined to say DON'T POLISH ANYTHING, since peoples' definition of the term can vary from a very light stoning (correct use of the term in this context) to heavy-handed material removal & dimensional/tolerance alteration with a Dremel tool, and they're no longer manufacturing parts for those guns.

Clean it thoroughly (without removing the cartridge guides), and either live with the results or have a qualified gunsmith check it out.
Denis

Good advice. I may add that you can spray a mess of Rem-oil in there and give it a whirl.----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

My 1950 low round rifle doesn't do it. However this rifle likes a snappy full motion levering. There seems a sweet spot where it operates the smoothest with a little snap. I take mine out and work the action through 25 or 30 levers regularly to break it in. It worked wonders on my Marlin 444 years ago.

The 94s charm, it is a marvellous mysterious mechanical machine. All levers and linkages and timing, with parts and cartridges lifting to the top, at the same time as the guts drop out the bottom when the lever sweeps forward!!! All with the precision of hand operated devices from its era. Just watching it work is a treat. Almost as much as the treat of handling it.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Like Six said. Oil it and work it a few times (like maybe 50-100 times or more) Lots of those old shooters haven't been cleaned and oiled since they left the hardware store rack. :wink:
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Six, if'n you spray REM oil into that Winchester, it'll melt down like the wicked witch of the west...
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:Take it apart, clean and oil it.
Lightly oil. The lifter is operated by the tab on the top of it via the bolt moving back and forth. Check to make sure there's no burrs on the tab, or something in the slot of the bolt that's interfering with the lifter... (actual nomenclature is "carrier"). The carrier has to overcome the spring that snaps it back down as the bolt is retracted. Very likely that your spring is heavier than others... ergo... a last "snap" of the lever to get that bolt the last bit back to where the carrier will spring up.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Smoke12
Levergunner

Post by Smoke12 »

I'll do some cleaning on it, add a bit of oil and keep working the action! Tough duty!

Thanks again for all the input........these sites are incredible for all the help and information a fella can pickup!