I really dislike this

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

I really dislike this

Post by Mescalero »

Joe and I turn 62 this month.
So I have been at the place in Phoenix all year, internet, access to big city, etc.
So I am getting reports from N.M. all the time, a trip to N.M. is in order.
It seems I will have to take my uncle's guns away from him, this really sucks; one of the guns I will have to take is a Mossberg 12 guage that I bought and gave to him.
But I have to do it for public safety reasons.
Still, I can find no way to make it palatable.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: I really dislike this

Post by J Miller »

I understand public safety concerns. My question is ... is there no way to deal with the situation without taking his guns, or is the law already involved?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

You know the situation better than anyone else. Try not to second guess yourself. Many times, your first intuition is probably best. I sympathize with your situation. It must be very difficult for you. Sometimes the right thing is very hard to do. God bless.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Mescalero wrote:Joe and I turn 62 this month.
So I have been at the place in Phoenix all year, internet, access to big city, etc.
So I am getting reports from N.M. all the time, a trip to N.M. is in order.
It seems I will have to take my uncle's guns away from him, this really sucks; one of the guns I will have to take is a Mossberg 12 guage that I bought and gave to him.
But I have to do it for public safety reasons.
Still, I can find no way to make it palatable.
You are not "taking" them.

You are being given them to hold in escrow in lieu of .gov/law enforcement involvement.

It's like "selling" your guns to a buddy because your Ex has filed a frivolous Restraining Order.

For the nonce, you are doing him a favor... and when the .gov collapses you can give them back.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:( Be careful....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My grandfather died of a brain tumor. A few months after the diagnosis he attempted to commit suicide by slicing his wrist with his pocket knife. Fortunately he had very little upper body strength, very little in his hands and the cuts were pretty much superficial. I still have the pocket knife, it is one of the few possessions of my grandfathers that I have today. I still regret how I came by it.

I have little doubt that you have the strength to deal with the situation at hand, but will be sure to say a prayer or two.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I too have been in a similar situation once with a family member and once with a neighbour, sad but both times I looked on it as I was doing them a favor before the guns were taken and destroyed by the police.
As Blaine said be careful.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Is your Uncle aware of the plan?

Tell him that you're not the enemy and promise him that you'll take good care of his stuff until... whenever.

Good luck. Be careful.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Yep. That sucks. Sorry man. Been there.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You, and your Uncle, will be in my prayers, Mescalero - Sometimes, we all have to do what's best, no matter how it tastes.

octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Mescalero I do not envy your predicament. I should have taken a loved ones truck keys away some months before he died. Thank God he didn't kill anyone. I could not bring myself to remove his freedom/ transportation. You are a better man than I, hold steady to your resolve sir, and be extra careful.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Prayers up and stay safe.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

(removed)
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Sorry to hear this. Blessings to you and be safe....
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I reckon this is not an easy task to take an old warrior's gun and his pride. Probably is the best for all folks in the family to do it anyway. When you make smoke for this I'll be praying for you.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thanks everyone, part of the problem; when my friend informed them I was aware of it and coming back,resolved itself.
Seems taking advantage of 87 year old with diminished cognitive skills, is not the same as taking on a 62 year old who can still move and scoot.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Mescalero wrote:Thanks everyone, part of the problem; when my friend informed them I was aware of it and coming back,resolved itself.
Seems taking advantage of 87 year old with diminished cognitive skills, is not the same as taking on a 62 year old who can still move and scoot.
Hmmm.....sounds like a situation one would want to keep a close eye on. Funny how things that have been happy where they are for years seem to grow feet and legs and walk off in this type of deal.

Good luck,

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One Uncle is coming very close to this situation. His daughter is probably going to have to take his keys and his guns. He is 90 years old, and his cognitive skills are in sharp decline. Prayers for the best outcome for all concerned sent, and for wisdom for you so that you can handle the situation.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Very recently had to do this for an Army buddy who is out of his mind on pain pills supplied willingly by the VA (they dont pop them in his mouth, but just curious how he can get enough of them to abuse---if i get 5 pain pills for actual pain, the doc acts like he's giving up government secrets or something)

The guy seems lucid when i talk to him, but inthe days since this has happened, his family and other friends have told me of incidents i was completely unaware of that tell me he cant be trusted with a firearm , likely ever. And when he runs out of pills, he turns to booze

Ironic that he basically made his living with one most of his adult life ( well, had one close by) -- and now is completely untrustworthy with a gun, knife or even an asp

I told him to get better, i also feel like i am just "holding them" for him until he shapes up, but it will never happen
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Streetstar wrote:Very recently had to do this for an Army buddy who is out of his mind on pain pills supplied willingly by the VA (they dont pop them in his mouth, but just curious how he can get enough of them to abuse---if i get 5 pain pills for actual pain, the doc acts like he's giving up government secrets or something)

The guy seems lucid when i talk to him, but inthe days since this has happened, his family and other friends have told me of incidents i was completely unaware of that tell me he cant be trusted with a firearm , likely ever. And when he runs out of pills, he turns to booze

Ironic that he basically made his living with one most of his adult life ( well, had one close by) -- and now is completely untrustworthy with a gun, knife or even an asp

I told him to get better, i also feel like i am just "holding them" for him until he shapes up, but it will never happen
:roll: The VA would have allowed me 2 hydrocodones per day.....Thank Heavens I had the good sense not to take them. I think half of one before bed still left me groggy the next morning. VA loves their pills :roll: They turn out some real zombies..... :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:
Streetstar wrote:Very recently had to do this for an Army buddy who is out of his mind on pain pills supplied willingly by the VA (they dont pop them in his mouth, but just curious how he can get enough of them to abuse---if i get 5 pain pills for actual pain, the doc acts like he's giving up government secrets or something)

:roll: The VA would have allowed me 2 hydrocodones per day.....Thank Heavens I had the good sense not to take them. I think half of one before bed still left me groggy the next morning. VA loves their pills :roll: They turn out some real zombies..... :evil:
.gov / Obamacare. Just give Gramps a pill, he is too old for valuable/expensive medical treatment.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

.gov / Obamacare. Just give Gramps a pill, he is too old for valuable/expensive medical treatment.
I got them to jerk the Opiate, and give Naproxen 500mg X2 a day.....Works better, and no hangover.

Mescalero, I was thinking, take a friend along if you can.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:Mescalero, I was thinking, take a friend along if you can.
+1. Prayers for safe outcome.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

game keeper wrote:I too have been in a similar situation once with a family member and once with a neighbour, sad but both times I looked on it as I was doing them a favor before the guns were taken and destroyed by the police.
As Blaine said be careful.
+1

Better you take them than the state.

Better you take them now than after something really bad.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Pretty depressing to have to do it... but maybe for the best in the long run. Hope it goes ok for you.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

FWiedner wrote:Is your Uncle aware of the plan?

Tell him that you're not the enemy and promise him that you'll take good care of his stuff until... whenever.

Good luck. Be careful.

:|
Good advise here, I agree with Fred.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I'll be ok, I won't go alone.
His hearing is real bad, I need to be sitting in front of him; so he can read my lips.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BlaineG wrote:
:roll: The VA would have allowed me 2 hydrocodones per day..... VA loves their pills :roll: They turn out some real zombies..... :evil:

Yep - makes for less complaining, frees up the "schedule".............. :roll: