FOOD - Your Pinto bean recipe

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

FOOD - Your Pinto bean recipe

Post by WCF3030 »

In spirit of the former corn bread recipe thread I'd like to know your favorite pinto bean ....... whatever.

I've already made several of the corn bread ones, mostly using the cast iron.
Just made a pinto and black bean "soup".
With fresh crushed garlic.
Onion powder
Onion soup mix
Black pepper
Salt pork
water
let simmer on low forever..

Whats yours?
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Pinto bean fudge

Recipe ingredients:

2/3 cup canned evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans, strained
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup nuts, any variety
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Combine sugar and milk in saucepan.
Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add remaining ingredients and stir until marshmallows melt.
Pour into a 9 inch square buttered pan.
Cool and cut into squares.

OR

1 cup cooked soft pinto beans (drained and mashed)
1/4 cup milk
1 Tbsp vanilla
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate
6 Tbsp butter or margarine
2lbs. powdered sugar
nuts (optional)

In a large bowl stir beans and milk together, adding enough milk to resemble mashed potatoes; stir in vanilla. Melt chocolate and butter and stir in bean mixture. Gradually stir in powdered sugar. Knead with hands to get it well blended. Spread into lightly buttered 9-inch baking dish or form into 1-1/2 inch rolls. Chill 1-2 hours.

See a pattern here? :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Pinto bean fudge

Your into fudge that gives you gas? :wink: :twisted:

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

WCF3030 wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Pinto bean fudge
Your into fudge that gives you gas? :wink: :twisted:
Hey, Campfire Food is Campfire Food. You'd be suprised what can be made with beans... so long as it ain't chili. 8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Try these...it will make you want to golpear tu madre. I have won a couple of bean cooking contests with these.

Frijoles Carlos

1 1/2 lbs of washed pinto beans
1 sweet yellow onion coarse chopped
1 lb of bacon coarse chopped.
2 Jalapeno peppers seeded and finely chopped
1 tsp of minched garlic
1 tsp of oregano
1 tsp salt
A couple of dashes of Tobasco sauce.

By coarse chopped I mean into pieces three or four times the size of a bean. If you enter a bean contest in Texas, you can have nothing in the pot larger than a bean, but I like em bigger for regular eating.

These bean will be slighly picoso (hot) but not overly so and should not damage the palate of the average Gringo. The long cooking time, takes most of the fight out of the jalapenos and just the rich flavor remains... well mostly anyway.

Put the beans in a crock pot, cover with water and let sit for several hours.

Add other ingrediants and cover with water and turn on high about three or four in the evening. Yes..cook the beans with the pot cover on.

When you go to bed, turn the pot down on low and wake to the best South Texas breakfast in the world.

For Boracho Beans cover with beer instead of water when you add the ingrediants.

Muy sabroso!!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Charles,

I will definitely try that one.
Well both I'd have to know how it tastes with beer.
Which kind by the way, works best?

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

A gallon can of Teasdale cooked pintos is cheaper than 2 Lbs of uncooked pintos..No washing ..no looking for rocks to boot!...I add a pieces of sow belly 1/2 Lbs... or bacon rind and slowly bring them to a boil..turn off the heat and cool off on the stove.. refrigerate over night..Remove the rind & eat beans!!
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT-Your Pinto bean recipe

Post by JohnnyReb »

WCF3030 wrote:In spirit of the former corn bread recipe thread I'd like to know your favorite pinto bean ....... whatever.

I've already made several of the corn bread ones, mostly using the cast iron.
Just made a pinto and black bean "soup".
With fresh crushed garlic.
Onion powder
Onion soup mix
Black pepper
Salt pork
water
let simmer on low forever..

Sounds good...but with garlic, onion powder and onion soup.... :shock: I wouldn't go near any open flames or small children :wink:
Whats yours?
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

In this part of the country we are serious about our pinto beans. Nothing goes in there but beans, water, and hamhock.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Charles wrote:Try these...it will make you want to golpear tu madre. I have won a couple of bean cooking contests with these.

Frijoles Carlos

1 1/2 lbs of washed pinto beans
1 sweet yellow onion coarse chopped
1 lb of bacon coarse chopped.
2 Jalapeno peppers seeded and finely chopped
1 tsp of minched garlic
1 tsp of oregano
1 tsp salt
A couple of dashes of Tobasco sauce.

By coarse chopped I mean into pieces three or four times the size of a bean. If you enter a bean contest in Texas, you can have nothing in the pot larger than a bean, but I like em bigger for regular eating.

These bean will be slighly picoso (hot) but not overly so and should not damage the palate of the average Gringo. The long cooking time, takes most of the fight out of the jalapenos and just the rich flavor remains... well mostly anyway.

Put the beans in a crock pot, cover with water and let sit for several hours.

Add other ingrediants and cover with water and turn on high about three or four in the evening. Yes..cook the beans with the pot cover on.

When you go to bed, turn the pot down on low and wake to the best South Texas breakfast in the world.

For Boracho Beans cover with beer instead of water when you add the ingrediants.

Muy sabroso!!
I do like the sounds of this.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

WCF30-30

It really doesn't make any difference what kind of beer you use. Most often I use water.

You can use chopped ham, salt pork or ham hock but I much prefer the taste of bacon. I buy a three pound box of ends and pieces, hack off a pound, chop it up and that is that. I freeze the rest for more beans.
pbslinger
Levergunner

Post by pbslinger »

Texans may scoff at my Yankee bean recipe.

I cook mine from dry in a pressure cooker. Wash and pick over and boil for 1 minute. Let sit for one hour and pressure cook for 20 minutes. Add onions, garlic and salt and simmer for 10 minutes. I serve them with Mexican food.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

bj94 wrote:In this part of the country we are serious about our pinto beans. Nothing goes in there but beans, water, and hamhock.
Yup same in Bama :wink: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

beans

Post by brucew44guns »

Truth is, I never met a bean I didn't like. I make a big pan of pintos every week around here, takes a few days to eat 'em down, but never any waste. Wife ain't too happy at times, but she gets over it!!!
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Re: beans

Post by WCF3030 »

brucew44guns wrote:Truth is, I never met a bean I didn't like. I make a big pan of pintos every week around here, takes a few days to eat 'em down, but never any waste. Wife ain't too happy at times, but she gets over it!!!
And your recipe is............. :?:

brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

bean soup

Post by brucew44guns »

All I do is take 2--1 pound coffee cans full of dry pintos, need a 6 quart pot to cook in.'

1. Put them in a pot, wash them good
2. Bring them to a boil good and hard,
3. Shut it off for an hour or so letting soak
4. Chop up 2 medium onions, set aside
5. Start cooking again and add onions
6. Add 3--15oz cans of good diced tomatos
7. Add about 4--8oz cans of tomato sauce
8. Cook until done, or simmer longer.

If you like it hot (I do, but bride is squeemish) put in a "Wick Fowlers 2 Alarm Chile Kit". dump all of it in except the Mesa flour. Kit available in good stores, ingredients from a Texan, and it's good. You will snarf down beans that are pretty tasty. Bruce
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Make humus with pintos instead of garbonzo....interesting flaver. I tend to lean on the garlic and red pepper.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

ever do the bean sandwich?

Very simple....next day when the beans(pintos, soup beans, etc.) have been refrigerated and are kind of a mucky lump, spoon it on a piece of bread....add alittle salt and pepper and go.... great for a quick breakfast out the door.

The wife and kids microwave their for about 20 seconds but I like it cold.
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Wash beans and remove rocks
Place clean and rock free beans in pot
Cover with just enough water
Place ham bone from fine country ham in pot
Put crock pot on low in the morning before work, and let go all day
When you get home that evening chop some fresh onion and throw a pan of corn bread in the oven while you wash off the coal dirt from that day.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

It's far easier to use a crockpot or pressure cooker much quicker.I have some pepper seeds a friend gave me that I've been growing for several years that produces fruit that's approx 3/4 inch long grows vertically is about 3/16 in diameter & turns orange whin ripe,even when the pepper is green and 3/16 inch long it packs a wallop.I've sent the seed to friends & seed companies.One of my plants is over 2 years old put it in a large pot to bring it in in cold weather,the plants produce lots of peppers.
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

I use Charles' recipe but also add tomatoes and cilantro - in addition to the beer. There just ain't much better eating than a bowl of borracho beans with a slice of carne arranchera and some corn tortillas.
MissKitty
Levergunner
Location: The mountains of Arkansas...but once a southeast Texas girl...

Post by MissKitty »

Here is a "southeast Texan" turned Arkansas mountain woman recipe for pinto beans....
Take a bag of light colored pinto beans...they seem to cook the tenderest-pick them for rocks and etc.....wash them good and I like to cook mine in a crockpot...or on top of the stove is okay, especially in the winter...
I then add some chicken broth that is seasoned with roasted garlic if I have it and the remainder of the pot I fill with water...
I cut up an onion, usually a large one...Add some minced garlic if it don't smell garlicky enough...sea salt....pepper...and smoked bacon...three of four strips...also some ham trimmings if I have them....turn them on high in the crockpot and let them cook...on top of the stove I put them on simmer and watch to add water when they run low...Now you want to get a good thick "pot likker"- so after the beans are done and tender...take a fork and mash some of them against the side of the pot....This will thicken the juice...
Taste and see if they need anymore seasoning....maybe or maybe not...you be the judge...
Serve them hot with cornbread...brown rice...and a hot red tomato gravy...oh and don't forget the fresh butter....peach cobbler is a good desert for this dish also...after that a lazy evening on the front porch is called for..lol...MissKitty
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Comal... Another twist on my beans when done up with beer as Boracho, leave out the jalapenos and add a can of Rotel (tomatoes, peppers and cilantro) You add the Rotel about an hour before you turn the pot off. Rotel comes in several grades of heat. This gives about what you cook. Some folks like it this way, but I prefer the original way.
Last edited by Charles on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissKitty
Levergunner

Post by MissKitty »

Oh I forgot, I like to use my fresh canned tomatoes for the red gravy.....Oh goodness I am getting hungry for pinto beans...MissKitty
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

What is "Rotel"? Is Jiffy cornbread mix still sold?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

First off... Welcome Miss Kitty,

It's rare indeed when we have a lady around these parts.

For the best beans after I do the lookin fer rocks and washin bit I like to soak the beans over night if I have time. Soak 'em and pour off the soak water then fill 'er up again before ya start cookin.

Also if I have time I like to simmer a smoked hock for an hour or three as low as the stove will go then the beans go in the water the hocks were simmerin in if that works out. If I'm in a rush the washed beans go in with the hocks or other seasonin meat right off. Smoked turkey wings are good for that too. The pre soak seems to cut down on the explosive power a bit, at least for us. I also don't like to add any seasoning until about 20 minutes before they're done. It seems to keep 'em from gettin tough that way.
Spoon 'em over Jiffy mix cause I'm lazy and top off with some of the wife's canned banana peppers that she makes.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

MissKitty wrote:Here is a "southeast Texan" turned Arkansas mountain woman recipe for pinto beans....
Take a bag of light colored pinto beans...they seem to cook the tenderest-pick them for rocks and etc.....wash them good and I like to cook mine in a crockpot...or on top of the stove is okay, especially in the winter...
I then add some chicken broth that is seasoned with roasted garlic if I have it and the remainder of the pot I fill with water...
I cut up an onion, usually a large one...Add some minced garlic if it don't smell garlicky enough...sea salt....pepper...and smoked bacon...three of four strips...also some ham trimmings if I have them....turn them on high in the crockpot and let them cook...on top of the stove I put them on simmer and watch to add water when they run low...Now you want to get a good thick "pot likker"- so after the beans are done and tender...take a fork and mash some of them against the side of the pot....This will thicken the juice...
Taste and see if they need anymore seasoning....maybe or maybe not...you be the judge...
Serve them hot with cornbread...brown rice...and a hot red tomato gravy...oh and don't forget the fresh butter....peach cobbler is a good desert for this dish also...after that a lazy evening on the front porch is called for..lol...MissKitty
That one sounds like a keeper!!
Welcome.

WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Rusty wrote: For the best beans after I do the lookin fer rocks and washin bit I like to soak the beans over night if I have time. Soak 'em and pour off the soak water then fill 'er up again before ya start cookin.

Also if I have time I like to simmer a smoked hock for an hour or three as low as the stove will go then the beans go in the water the hocks were simmerin in if that works out. If I'm in a rush the washed beans go in with the hocks or other seasonin meat right off. Smoked turkey wings are good for that too. The pre soak seems to cut down on the explosive power a bit, at least for us. I also don't like to add any seasoning until about 20 minutes before they're done. It seems to keep 'em from gettin tough that way.
Spoon 'em over Jiffy mix cause I'm lazy and top off with some of the wife's canned banana peppers that she makes.
Hmmmm corn bread and peppers. :D

Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

big bear wrote:What is "Rotel"? Is Jiffy cornbread mix still sold?
Rotel Tomatoes are found in every grocery store in Texas. They are diced tomatoes with green chilis added and come in a variety of heat levels but the original recipe is the best IMHO.

Charles, I do use Rotels in a lot of cooking but your recipe and mine for borrachos is very similar.

Later, Hollis
dwight
Levergunner

Post by dwight »

[quote="Rusty"]
First off... Welcome Miss Kitty,

It's rare indeed when we have a lady around these parts.

[/quote]

MissKitty is my better half... and she is a real southern lady!!!!! After all these years, life is great. Gonna have to get her a lever gun soon cause the comments she makes about my 1953 Marlin 39A are making me nervous :wink:
MissKitty
Levergunner

Post by MissKitty »

8) Thanks for the welcomes....I posted under the "favorite cornbread" recipe thread but wasn't registered so had to post under Dwights name....
I woke up around 6:00 o'clock and thought about getting up and putting on a pot of pintos...but we got company coming this weekend and don't know if they eat pintos, but you never know about me I still might put a pot to "smoking"....
I have always like guns and was raised around firearms...guess being from Texas and the only girl in the neighborhood had alot to do with it, maybe... :wink: ...
Yeap- had a lever action .22 at one time but it got pawned without my knowledge...too late to do anything about...so..That was many years ago...
Now Dwight-talking of "your" lever guns...As they say in the south...."Now, honeypie...ain't you gonna share...got to keep the little woman happy??? 8) "...
Enjoy the forum...MissKItty
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

miss Kitty

Post by brucew44guns »

Dwight, you better go to the store and get that woman a tow sack of any kind of bean she wants, then stop off someplace and get her some ammo and a serious lever gun. Sounds like you do have---INDEED--- a "better half". Sounds too good to my ears, my better half will buy me a gun, but can't get her to shoot even a .22. Bruce
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
MissKitty
Levergunner

Post by MissKitty »

:wink: Keep plenty of "preps" like beans on hand...and thanks for the advice to Dwight..I don't need too much encouragement to buy ammo-thats just using my good sense....Yes, a lever gun will do nicely and maybe and engagement ring to seal the deal.. 8) ...But sense Dwight already has the lever guns and I have all my guns also...and I SHARE....hint...hint...
Give him all the advice ya'll want fellas :lol: ....He takes pretty good care of this lil old gal though....and he is cute to boot and a crack shot....What more could a lady ask for?????...Got to get the farm chores a going....talk at ya'll later...Oh...have ya'll took the wives out to shoot????...Something about pulling off them rounds...hearing the bang and smelling the gun powder...oh my!!! :twisted:
I would rather beg forgiveness than ask permission...