.25acp

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

.25acp

Post by walks with gun »

Don't know if this has been covered before, but who carries a 25. Sometimes when I'm mowing the yard, fishing in a populated area or just hanging around the house, I carry a Beretta 950. I know everyone knocks them but sometimes like when I worked in a tavern it's nice to have a little something to help you get to your big gun. Ther must be millions of them out there someone must carry them.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Re: .25acp

Post by ceb »

Don't own a .25, but it might work up close, Ruger LCP .380 fills that role for me.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My NAA .32 (a Seecamp type gun) is the same size as a .25, holds as many rounds and hits far harder.

But if I'm just doing yard work where the biggest threat is a dog, rattler, or a lone stranger, then I actually prefer my. 38 Derringer with 1 Snake Load & 1 short-barrel, low flash, soft lead SWCHP - either home cast or Buffalo Bore.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Whatever goes bang and puts holes in the BG is better than not carrying....As someone pointed out, you might want to upgrade to a Mini-380....I think my LCP is the same or smaller than the .25s.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

walks with gun wrote:Don't know if this has been covered before, but who carries a 25. Sometimes when I'm mowing the yard, fishing in a populated area or just hanging around the house, I carry a Beretta 950. I know everyone knocks them but sometimes like when I worked in a tavern it's nice to have a little something to help you get to your big gun. Ther must be millions of them out there someone must carry them.
Not me. A .22 short has more muzzle energy.
I can conceal my .22mag min-revolver more easily so that's my "get to a bigger gun" gun.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I carry a little RG .25 Usually for me it's either that or nothing, and I figure that it is better than nothing. Funny thing is, a lot of the people who make fun of it don't usually carry anything at all, so I'm not sure what their logic is?
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

These four are my 'pocket' options:

22 LR - the Beretta 21 'Tip-Up' - a beautifully made 'classic' and very reliable with CCI Stingers.

22 WMR -
  • the North American Arms 'Mini-Pug' - built-in clip makes it useable even with swimming trunks or jogging shorts.

the Taurus 8-shot DA revolver - had the 9-shot one in 22 LR, but figured why not bump up to 'Magnum' for the same size gun.
45 ACP - the Para Ordnance P-12 - if I'm going to carry anything bigger than the Taurus just stuck in a pocket, I'll probably just pocket the 'little' (well, relatively little) 'Officer Clone' that holds 12 rounds of 45 ACP.

Obviously, the particular clothes one has on determine the size of 'pocket' one's 'pocket gun' has to fit; the Taurus and Para are for blue jeans and coveralls, the Beretta and NAA fit about anything, anywhere.

I'd like to see the 'Tip-Up' design in a mid-size gun for 380 or even 9mm, for people who don't have the hand strength to work a slide - plus the mechanism itself lends people to pay more attention to 'the chamber' than they might otherwise. One of the scariest things about all the newbie shooters is that they often buy semiautomatic pistols, and I'm not sure they all realize their guns are 'live and ready to go' even when the magazine is removed.

As far as the OP on "25 ACP", I briefly carried a Baby Browning so chambered, back in my college days, but it was a borrowed firearm, and I didn't want to do that on a regular basis for CCW. I would guess that with "ideal" ammunition, like with the 380 ACP, it could perform far better than with the 'ball' ammo usually seen. Certainly I wouldn't feel under-gunned if my Beretta 21 was chambered in 25 ACP, or the NAA revolver, but even despite the occasional mis-fire seen with 22 LR, the ability to shoot LOTS of practice rounds for (somewhat) affordable cost, makes it a good confidence-builder both in the ability to hit with the diminutive firearms, but with the firearm's ability to feed and function.

I do remember the Baby Browning was a marvelously-built little gun, but of course so is the Beretta 21.

On a 'related' note - I really like the muzzleloaders that have the optional breech-plug chambered for a primed 25 ACP case; they seem reliable and clean.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

From time to time I'll carry my Berretta 21. A small gun is always better than no gun. It also makes a handy backup.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I was just perusing the Beretta website, and they offer:
But Taurus makes the 'same thing' as the Bobcat, and offers:
If their 22 LR is 'only' one more round than Beretta's, I don't figure I care
(...maybe the magazines would function interchangeably like the Beretta 92 and Taurus 92...???)

However, if this little 25 ACP Taurus really holds 9+1, that would be NICE little pocket-gun...!

http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... umbseries=
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'm happy with the lcp 380 as an always an inch away gun. Was just watching another gory true story of a triangle gone bad. Man put a 380 thru the heart and into the head of the guy 'dating' his wife. End of story. That's the 4th confirmed drt result with a gun that most folks will declare as too small and too undernurished to do anything bad to a bad guy. So far it has actually worked every time it's been tried and reported on.

Funny, hilarious actually that the bad guys are using a gun that doesn't shoot a bullet that starts with a 4 and getting what they want, cell phone, dead diddle-dallyier, etc.

I'm saying that the lcp is a great candidate for the most underrated firearm in America. I know this doesn't address the 25 ACP, and I am interested in what the real world results with that are. And the 22 as well, 'cause I know it is also underrated.

Grizz
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I just got done shooting an old Colt from 1929. its in my latest post, "Drug smuggling in the Southwest"--6

hell no, I don't carry it, but....I guess it is better than swinging a baseball bat.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

After riding my Harley 1000 miles to the Puget sound to wire my dads barn, I pulled into his garage out of the rain and got off the scooter. I reached over and took the Glock out of the saddlebag, the KelTec PF9 out of my waistband, and the Taurus PT25 out of my boot and set them on his workbench........he looked at me and said, "What are you scared of?"..........I said, "Not much"..........lol
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Beretta used to make the model 86 in .380 with a tip up barrel, I suppose if a person looked hard enough they could find one. I thought about one for my father since he's been having trouble with his hands, but he switched back to sixguns for now. When I bought my 950 about 25 years ago there weren't a lot of very reliable, very concealable guns out there, a extra mag gave me a little more confidence. I always wonder about people picking on the little guns that don't carry themselves. Proves people are strange.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've got a Baby Browning. It's the tiniest semi auto I've ever seen. I stick it in my front pants pocket occasionally when I need maximum concealment. Yes, it's just a puny 25, but I think most bad guys would rather not get hit with it.
NRA Life Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

TedH wrote:I've got a Baby Browning. It's the tiniest semi auto I've ever seen. I stick it in my front pants pocket occasionally when I need maximum concealment. Yes, it's just a puny 25, but I think most bad guys would rather not get hit with it.
No, I wouldn't want to be shot with a .25 acp (or anything, for that matter)
....but if you told me you were going to shoot me no matter what, but I got to choose the caliber, 25 acp would be my choice.
I had one 30 years ago. Some friends and I were target shooting one day and I set up a 3/4" oak board about 10 yards away as a target.
.22 LR poked right through it and kept on going.
.25 acp made a small dent (1/4" to 3/8" in depth) and bounced out....when were were able to actually hit the board with it. We found about half of the .25 bullets on the ground in front of the board.

.25 acp might be better than nothing, but that's about it. I prefer a 9mm or larger, but carry that little .22 mag when it's all I have room for.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Hey, Doc,

Beretta makes, or made, the Model 86 CHEETAH, tip-up .380ACP:

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/19 ... f308a7.jpg

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Well, in '87 I bought a 25 ACP Iver Johnson (kinda a Walther clone) when I was going to school in downtown L.A. and couldn't legally carry anywhere. I loaded it up with Glaser Safety Slugs and felt pretty good about my safety. I read a bit about how "worthless" the 25 ACP was with plain old round nose FMJ ammo, but many BGs wouldn't stand around and let me shoot 'em with one...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one of the NAA Mini revolvers, and it is the exact model that AJMD429 has. I also have a Kel-Tec P3AT. No, I don't have a .25, and am not likely to purchase one. Not what I want, but I don't want to be shot with one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

walks with gun wrote:Beretta used to make the model 86 in .380 with a tip up barrel, I suppose if a person looked hard enough they could find one. I thought about one for my father since he's been having trouble with his hands, but he switched back to sixguns for now. When I bought my 950 about 25 years ago there weren't a lot of very reliable, very concealable guns out there, a extra mag gave me a little more confidence. I always wonder about people picking on the little guns that don't carry themselves. Proves people are strange.

THE 86, i guess called the cheetah, with the tip up barrel, is very nice, but a bit larger and thicker than the ruger LCP 380, but it is fast, easy to use and quite accurate. it is a keeper for me, and my wife can shoot it quite well too.
Last edited by hfcable on Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cable
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

draperjojo wrote:After riding my Harley 1000 miles to the Puget sound to wire my dads barn, I pulled into his garage out of the rain and got off the scooter. I reached over and took the Glock out of the saddlebag, the KelTec PF9 out of my waistband, and the Taurus PT25 out of my boot and set them on his workbench........he looked at me and said, "What are you scared of?"..........I said, "Not much"..........lol
Draperjojo,
I like your attitude. You and I would get along just fine. :D -----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Not the smallest but I carry a 1908 Savage in .32acp.

"Ten shots, quick".
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Away from here, and if it is just you & I .................. I can show you a trick.