Remington recall???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Remington recall???

Post by TedH »

I have a rifle that was included in Remington's recall of the 700 series rifles. I contacted them as soon as it was brought to my attention on this forum about a month ago? They said they would be sending me a box to send the rifle back to them for the recall. I haven't heard anything else from them, and have not received any box. Has anyone else been a part of this or know if this is normal to take this long?
NRA Life Member
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Remington recall???

Post by Les Staley »

Prolly be the week before what ever big game season you want to hunt...just saying.......
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

You have to send it back to the factory?
It's to bad it can't be taken to a local factory authorized gunsmith for the fix.
I wonder if you'll have to remove the scope.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It would be wise to do so.
You should have seen my guitar after UPS got done with it :shock:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm going to remove the scope and my H.S. Precision stock before it goes back. Be my luck it would come back with a factory rubber stock.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:evil: I "recall" Remington....I bought one of their .22 Bolt Actions (a 53?....tube mag) It rattled. I watched it fall apart before my very eyes.....I was too peed off to want it back fixed. I like their GreenBox 30wcf, and a couple other calibers, but I would never buy another firearm from them.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

TedH wrote:I'm going to remove the scope and my H.S. Precision stock before it goes back. Be my luck it would come back with a factory rubber stock.
Or they'd refuse to work on it. But, after a month... I'd follow up with them.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Sure hate hearing about Remington having problems with product quality and customer service. They used to be one of the premier American companies in both those areas.

I have a 511X .22 bolt gun I bought in the mid 60's (for a little over $30!!!)that is still the best shooting .22 in my collection. And it has a very pretty walnut stock and nice blueing that has held up well. I know, you can't go back, but hope they straighten out moving forward.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm not complaining about the quality, I love the rifle. It's a 26" heavy 308, and is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. After reading about the possible condition that they issued the recall over, I inspected my trigger assembly, and I don't see the issue they were concerned about. But I thought it best to send it in anyway, just for peace of mind, and any future liability. I thought they would want to fix a potentially dangerous situation asap. I'll follow up with them, and report back.
NRA Life Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Just got off the phone with Remington after 17 minutes on hold waiting to talk to a human. She said there was a 2 day period where their online system of registering customers in the recall went haywire and they lost a bunch of them. Apparently I tried to get in during one of those 2 days. She was very apologetic and helpful, and got it straightened out. She said they will send a box, prepaid shipping label, instructions, etc. When I asked about the turn around time, she said they didn't have ANY IDEA at this time, they were waiting on the folks in New York to give them an idea, but right now she guessed it would be a couple of months. IF she had said that yes, it would be two weeks, or 30 days, or whatever I'd go ahead and ship it. But when she said "this is a very large recall and we just don't know", that makes me want to just keep my rifle. Sounds like it could just as easy be 6 months to get it back to me. :roll:
NRA Life Member
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Ted,
Send it in, it is still early in the process; if you wait more people will get in line, then the wait will be truly onerous.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Mescalero wrote:Ted,
Send it in, it is still early in the process; if you wait more people will get in line, then the wait will be truly onerous.
I was thinking just the opposite...if you think the rifle is okay, wait and send it in right AFTER hunting season this year, and hope you get it back before NEXT hunting season.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

When WR Weaver did warranty/repair work it was filed by date rec'd.
Oldest date in, first date out.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Perhaps if they hadn't screwed it up when I first signed up, but more than a month has passed and I'm sure there's a few rifles that didn't get screwed up and are already there and more on the way. It just makes me awful leery to hear them say they really have no idea how long they will have my rifle for something that I can't see as a problem anyway. I'm not a gun or trigger job idiot, and I see nothing wrong with my rifle's trigger. The recall states that there is potential for some triggers to have had excess bonding agent used in the assembly process. I really don't want them to have my rifle for months to tell me that it's ok.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:
Perhaps if they hadn't screwed it up when I first signed up, but more than a month has passed and I'm sure there's a few rifles that didn't get screwed up and are already there and more on the way. It just makes me awful leery to hear them say they really have no idea how long they will have my rifle for something that I can't see as a problem anyway. I'm not a gun or trigger job idiot, and I see nothing wrong with my rifle's trigger. The recall states that there is potential for some triggers to have had excess bonding agent used in the assembly process. I really don't want them to have my rifle for months to tell me that it's ok.
On the other hand, in this overly litigious society, if something happened and they know you knew..... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BlaineG wrote:
TedH wrote:
On the other hand, in this overly litigious society, if something happened and they know you knew..... :idea:

Yeah, that crossed my mind too.
NRA Life Member
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Interesting that in this day of the computer they can't tell you any closer than that.

Remington used to be a great company. What a shame. I know it's an exaggeration, but it hardly seems a month goes by without them recalling either some ammo lot or a firearm.

Cat
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Funny, I uaually think of these things; but Blaine is right.
If something should happen, it could go badly for you :( sorry.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

I sent my recall info in about a month ago; got an e-mail the next day saying a return box, etc would be shipped to me. Hadn't gotten anything today so I went back and got UPS tracing info from my original e-mail and tracked it. According to UPS, my box was delivered on May 5th, signed for by someone named "Bray" ( no one here by that name) and then they refused the package(?) and requested it be returned to sender back to Remington.

Very puzzling, and frustrating. My local UPS guy knows my wife and I pretty well thanks to her e-bay sewing business, I asked him and he said he never had that package. I sent a letter off to Remington, can't blame them for UPS's mistake but hopefully they'll get it corrected (or at least give UPS some grief.).
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

I sent my recall info in about a month ago; got an e-mail the next day saying a return box, etc would be shipped to me. Hadn't gotten anything today so I went back and got UPS tracing info from my original e-mail and tracked it. According to UPS, my box was delivered on May 5th, signed for by someone named "Bray" ( no one here by that name) and then they refused the package(?) and requested it be returned to sender back to Remington.

Very puzzling, and frustrating. My local UPS guy knows my wife and I pretty well thanks to her e-bay sewing business, I asked him and he said he never had that package. I sent a letter off to Remington, can't blame them for UPS's mistake but hopefully they'll get it corrected (or at least give UPS some grief.).
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I talked to them on Friday, got an email this morning stating my box and return shipping info was sent out UPS along with a tracking number. Guess we'll see if it shows up.
NRA Life Member
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

One of my Remingtons fell into that recall. So after hearing a ton of horror stories, I decided to not send it back, I replaced the trigger with a Timney. Couldn't be happier.

Good luck, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!