Bird feeder Raider vs Marlin 39A

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Bird feeder Raider vs Marlin 39A

Post by Ragnor »

A little fun after a hard day at work. 40 grain Remington hollow point did the job. Range 60'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Bird feeder Raider vs Marlin 39A

Post by Blaine »

Do you eat those? I don't mind the flavor at all on the young ones...(though, it's been 30 years or more). Roasted on a rack gets the extra fat off.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

I haven't been that hungry yet. :D But I think it would be interesting to see what kind of recipes are out there for them. Maybe I would give it a try.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ragnor wrote:I haven't been that hungry yet. :D But I think it would be interesting to see what kind of recipes are out there for them. Maybe I would give it a try.
Be adventurous. It might remind you of wild pork.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IIRC the classic form of the dish is baked possum and sweet potatoes.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Possum is one animal I leave alone... they are not a pest; it's the raccoons that get into the trash cans. Possum are most unusual animals. Here is a list of unique traits:

only marsupial native to North America
they don't gnaw on things, dig up gardens or attack pets
52 teeth in their heads... more than any mammal
immune to almost everything, including snake venom, rabies and distemper... but they do get fleas
omnivorous... eats plants as well as bugs, carrion and snakes
They mate once a year, but have two litters: one in spring and one in late summer
up to 25 babies may be in a litter, but 13 teats limits the number of survivors
excellent climbers and swimmers
2 to 4 year life expectancy
ugliest creature on earth

In 1608, Capt. John Smith coined the word opossum from the word "opassum," the Algonquian term meaning "white animal." In his notes, the captain wrote: "An Opassom hath an head like a Swine, and a taile like a Rat, and is of the bignes of a Cat. Under her belly she hath a bagge, wherein shee lodgeth, carrieth, and sucketh her young."
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Good notes on the 'possum, but there are other mammals with more teeth---toothed whales or porpoises are examples. Also, possums have only 50 teeth distributed as follows: i5/4, c1/1, pm3/3, m4/4 (X2 for both right and left sides) = 50.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Are you by Superior,WI. Only west coast I can thnk of, have never seen a possum that far north if you are.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Don't reckon you try to keep some laying hens. Possums are about the meanest as far as killing hens, eating chicks and tearing up a setting hens nest. Around my place they they get a bullet when I see one.
Rusty is right, the best known recipe is "baked possum and sweet taters".
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Southern Possum Stew

1 Possum
Dumplings
1 Sweet potato
1 Lg Onion
1T Salt

*Use boiling water to scald Brother Possum - then, in a large pan, dress the animal by pulling out those hairs on him.
*When all is well done, cut Brother Possum into four parts.
*Add salt and boil the meat until tender.
*Make your dumplings and add them slowly to the boiling meat.
*After the possum has boiled about an hour, put the parts into a baking dish with peeled sweet potatoes sliced thick & placed in the pan around the pieces of possum.
*Add onion if desired and bake for 1 hour @ 350-degrees.

Feeds 12, with the dumplings.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They DO eat chickens and eggs, though.
MacEntyre wrote:ugliest creature on earth
What about Pelosi, or Hillary. . . ???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

JerryB wrote:Don't reckon you try to keep some laying hens. Possums are about the meanest as far as killing hens, eating chicks and tearing up a setting hens nest. Around my place they they get a bullet when I see one.
Rusty is right, the best known recipe is "baked possum and sweet taters".
I knew trey would be a fellow redneck show up sooner or latter. I agree with your post
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

AJMD429 wrote:They DO eat chickens and eggs, though.
dang........ya beat me to it! :lol: :lol:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

How would you like going through life looking like a Big JoeBiden with buck teeth?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
hosehead
Levergunner

Post by hosehead »

Good on ya. My Uncle got one that was in the chicken coop over the summer and are they ever mean old things the dog that normally trees even the biggest old coons wouldnt touch this thing so that was an eye opener to me. Not sure Id eat one though
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

They must not hibernate worth a darn, we had 6 inches of snow on the ground and seen the sheep staring at something so got binoc's and it was a Possum.

Most people that live in S AZ don't know that there are possum's, some of the Game & Fish people don't even know. Kinda rare but they are there just the same. I dumped one out on the counter of the Game & Fish Office in Tucson just to prove a point.

I hate to say it but if it wasn't for a Possum I probably would have never met my wife.

------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Outside of chickens and ground nesting birds(quail, pheasant, etc), possums run a threat to horses. They can spread a protozoal type parasite that causes EPM(equine poliomyelitis). Its spread by possum urine and the buggers will prowl hay in barns looking for mice and will urinate anywhere. Horses that eat the hay can become infected, and the parasite burrows around in the horses spinal cord trying to find a suitable home. The problem is they are not proper parasites of horses so they keep looking for a spot to set up housekeeping and the neurological damage they leave behind is often fatal to the horse. It can be treated if started early on and is effective only part of the time. Possums enter this farm at their own risk! "Knucklehead" the Chessie got a big boar two nights ago, and in spite of his 110# jaws, it was going to get up and walk away. "Knucklehead " was put off by that so he broke most of the bones in it after that. Good possum at that point.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J35nut wrote:They must not hibernate worth a darn, we had 6 inches of snow on the ground and seen the sheep staring at something so got binoc's and it was a Possum.

Most people that live in S AZ don't know that there are possum's, some of the Game & Fish people don't even know. Kinda rare but they are there just the same. I dumped one out on the counter of the Game & Fish Office in Tucson just to prove a point.

I hate to say it but if it wasn't for a Possum I probably would have never met my wife.

------J
You realize that we would like to hear that story, please 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

I like my possums live - and they get along just fine with my horses. If they looked as handsome as a raccoon, no one would bother them. Raccoon's on the other hand, are a lot bigger threat for disease and destruction and nest predation and about 10 dozen other things but they are so "cute" they get a pass most every time.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

BlaineG wrote:
J35nut wrote:They must not hibernate worth a darn, we had 6 inches of snow on the ground and seen the sheep staring at something so got binoc's and it was a Possum.

------J
You realize that we would like to hear that story, please 8)
Yea! This should be amusing
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

BD, I didn't say every possum and every horse. BUT, I have treated and euthanized a goodly number of horses over the years, enough to be disturbing, both due to the loss and due to an otherwise healthy animal loosing balance, muscle control, strength. Riders have also been hospitalized when the horses go down at speed due to loss of strength and coordination.. If you had seen the effects you would be concerned. And don't confuse their shuffling about with inefficiency, they are effective nest predators. Ive lost some of the garden chickens inside a 6' fence to possums. Racoons arent too much of an issue here, the dogs think they make great squeaky toys.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

or Michelle!