Mod 94 Undercarriage Problem - "Build Up" of Cartridge Stop

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
randal
Levergunner

Mod 94 Undercarriage Problem - "Build Up" of Cartridge Stop

Post by randal »

He. gang, I'm newly registered but not new to the site...I've visited often as a guest in order to help me diagnose problems with my 1967 Model 94 30-30.

I'm having lever link/cartridge stop issues (again) and I was wondering just how much material is supposed to be on the cartridge stop...does anyone know if there are dimensions somewhere that I can refer to?

Also, what's the best material to use to build up the stop? I've read silver solder...and if I'm not mistaken, the smith that previously repaired this for me used silver solder and here I am again...should I try something harder?

I'm sorry if this has been answered over and over, I used the search function repeatedly and didn't see anything...

Thanks,
Randal
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mod 94 Undercarriage Problem - "Build Up" of Cartridge S

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, there is no ctg stop height dimensions available outside the factory.

The proper repair's a process of lengthening the stop finger's height to a point where no case is fed from the magazine, then cutting/filing it down until a cartridge will barely pass. (we're talkin' only about a few thousandths of an inch, here)

Some here have built the stop finger up with TIG welding, but I've always been able to get a satisfactory repair by peening/swedging the finger longer (taller) via placing the side of the stop finger on a sharp edge of my benchvise, and strongly hitting a steel drift(held tightly to the side of the finger) with a 3lg (small) sledgehammer.

peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

I recently had this problem with my .356 Big Bore, I had it built up with tig weld, then just kept filling it down as Pete said, just keep going until it stops scratching or denting the case. You will become very good at pulling it down & putting it back together, I must have had 12 or 15 goes at it till I got it right.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Like peter richards said, welding is the best way to go. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I answered on the other thread, but, welding up with "hard-facing" rod will be difficult to file back to dimension, but will provide the longest lasting "fix"

BTW... Welcome to THE Forum.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!