Ineresting find

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Ineresting find

Post by wolfdog »

I was slicing up some backstrap for tonight's repast and for the first few slices there seemed to be a line of gristle right down the middle of the strap. The forth slice hit some thing hard. I explored and found a bullet jacket and a few bits of lead. This is not the bullet that killed the deer. For one thing it appears to be about .240 in diameter and I killed 3 deer this year with 3 shots, one .308 150 grain NBT, one .308 180 grain round nose, and one .458 325 grain flextip. This is obviously a smaller bullet. The other thing is the wound channel is "healed". Not much lead found so the bullet must have separated before entering the strap. I have found buckshot under a hide when skinning before, and once when helping a friend we found a healed over broadhead, but never a rifle bullet from a previous injury.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Ineresting find

Post by Blaine »

The deer was lucky at least once in his life. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

When I used to work in my uncle's butcher shop cutting deer, we used to see many deer with everything from arrow heads to muzzleloader miniballs. One 10 pointer had, 3 different .22 bullets, one that was a .30 cal, maybe 3006 or 308, and one that was either a .243 or 6.5. That deer took some serious hits. What really burned us up were the .22's, I really, really hate poachers.

Many times the deer would be so badly infected that the meat was not good, but that was more form fresh shots that were poor hits.

Most of the bullets were in the hinds, but some were in the shoulders.

Steve
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Never shot a deer that had been shot before, but have killed a hog that had been shot multiple times.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
kevind6
Levergunner

Post by kevind6 »

I remember back in my trapping days I caught a fox that had rifle jacket fragments and two different sizes of shotgun pellets under his hide. I'm sure the old boy learned to always look over his shoulder, but apparently he never learned to watch where he stepped!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

When I was 19, I shot a nice 3 point mule deer. When I skinned him, I noticed a hard red lump in the hide on one side. I wondered what caused it, and was watching for any indication of a corresponding lump on the other side of the body in the hide. Sure enough, there was one on each side of the body. The buck had been shot broadside the previous year. The shot passed through an inch or so behind the diaphragm. The only sign of the wound was the healed bumps in the hide. I can only imagine what the hunter must have thought when the deer got away after taking a broadside shot!