Did you get....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Did you get....

Post by jnyork »

...a .22 for Christmas when you were a kid? Growing up in Wyoming the 40's and 50's, if you had not found a .22 under the tree by the time you were 10 or so, you were considered by your peers to be socially deprived. :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Did you get....

Post by rjohns94 »

I was socially deprived :( However I have more than made up for it. :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Turned 10 on the ship back from Germany ( old man was Army ) had a Marlin clip fed bolt action .22 under the tree that year.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

No, my first Christmas gun was the inspiration of that great Christmas movie about the kid that got the BB gun. Without all the angst. My first .22 rifle was received on my birthday. Still have it, although the boys seem to be arguing who's going to get it. It will be the eldest, or more correctly his son when he is old enough.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

rjohns94 wrote:I was socially deprived :( However I have more than made up for it. :lol:
Me too :!: :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Yes, single-shot Remington bolt: I must have been 8 yrs. old. Shot a cottontail later that day -- kept shooting over it until dad got me convinced that 22 bullets didn't drop like BB's and so didn't require hold-over for the 20 yard shot. I was most impressed with my flat-shooting new weapon!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Sadly, today; your parents would probably get a visit from Child Protective Services for that.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Not sure but I think it was for my birthday when I was five. Wasn't allowed to keep in my room until was
@ 10 or so. I got a Savage "Stevens Favorite" .22lr falling block. Still have the original box!
Ironically I wasn't allowed to have a BB gun until I was 12. Old man knew I'd get in trouble
with it. :twisted:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

2ndovc wrote:Not sure but I think it was for my birthday when I was five. Wasn't allowed to keep in my room until was @ 10 or so. I got a Savage "Stevens Favorite" .22lr falling block. Still have the original box! Ironically I wasn't allowed to have a BB gun until I was 12. Old man knew I'd get in trouble with it. :twisted:
Same here. Age 5 I got a Stevens bolt-action 22 LR hand-me-down, and shot mostly feral cats and dogs with it. Learned to shoot edible game around age 10, and shot only groundhogs (not enough meat on squirrels, and rabbits not that numerous those years (tons of them now). My first pellet gun I got at age 26, and my first BB gun I got around age 32.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My dad was a firm beleiver that a .22 carried to far to give a novice who would frequently be unsupervised. I received a 12 ga single shot as my first real firearm. I will state that I had several GOOD pellet guns prior to that time that would kill any rabbit, squirrel, snake or turtle I could find!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

My first was at about five. a $3 Remington single shot from a pawn shop, found that out later. Then at about eight a moss berg, 16 ga, three shot clip, bolt. At 10 got a Red Ryder BB. My Dad thought BB guns were too dangerous because everyone thought them harmless, needed to be old enough to know they really were dangerous. That first 22 came with a brick of shorts. When that brick was gone I could shoot.
JayF in AZ
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JayF in AZ »

Not when I was that young, but at 16 I found a High Standard Double Nine under the tree. Still have it too :)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

yep...early 70s ..and i still have them both...
one from my dad...Savage/Stevens model 87D semiauto
and one from my uncle...mossberg model 342K..bolt action
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Is'nt that bolt action a Mag?
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

My first rifle when I was 12 or 13 came on Christmas, it was a beautiful, used Winchester model 67, looks as good now as it did then....
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sure did! :D

I gave Y2K one for his first Christmas - when he was only 6 months old! :D :D :D You all remember this picture of him several years later (and many years ago) shooting his first .22. :D

wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

No, but I did get a brick of 22s for the Marlin bolt action I had bought for myself when I was 10 or so.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had a couple of Webley air guns and a single shot BB gun by the age of 10 but had to wait until I was 13 before I got a real gun, a s/b .410.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Christmas, about 72, I received a Remington 572 and a Kentucky rifle kit gun. :D I still have both and the double 20 that I got when I was 9. :wink:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Being a city boy...I bought my first .22 (with Dad's consent) while in the 8th grade from another student (with his Dad's consent). I learned just last summer that Mom did not approve of this. I still have that Ithaca 49.
:wink:
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Sure did at 9. Cooey bolt tube fed, 11 got a used SXS 12 gauge bought from the neighbor (hacksawed off the goose gun barrel to a 20" bunny gun, my second gunsmith job, first one best forgotten), 14 got a CIL 30-30 bolt action (rebadged Savage). Christmas and my birthday are days apart so these were for both!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

mark08 wrote:My first was at about five. a $3 Remington single shot from a pawn shop, found that out later. Then at about eight a moss berg, 16 ga, three shot clip, bolt. At 10 got a Red Ryder BB. My Dad thought BB guns were too dangerous because everyone thought them harmless, needed to be old enough to know they really were dangerous. That first 22 came with a brick of shorts. When that brick was gone I could shoot.

I never did get a BB gun for the same reason. My dad always stressed if you are going to have a gun, then it will be a GUN and you will treat it like a GUN, with all the responsibilities that go along with it. Always have, always will. :)
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Canuk Bob,
Why am I not surprised it was a Cooey?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I bought my own first .22 ($19.95 new Remington) with money I earned from delivering papers.
I delivered 11 papers every day for a summer to earn it.
I did get a 20ga. bolt action shotgun for Christmas when I was 10 though. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Borregos wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:I was socially deprived :( However I have more than made up for it. :lol:
Me too :!: :D
Me three! :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

Got a Marlin 56 Levermatic 22 LR in 1964 from an adult cousin in that year for Christmas, much to my mother's shock and disapproval. My first gun, ever, and oh was I excited about it. Will never forget it. Guess I'll have to blame him for still having the Marlin bug, forty plus years, later. :)
bubba15301
Levergunner

Post by bubba15301 »

not for christmas but i got a Marlin model 25n when i was 11. it was $39.95with a scope.Dad bought it at Kmart
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Mescalero wrote:Canuk Bob,
Why am I not surprised it was a Cooey?
:D always on the rack at K-Mart and Canadian Tire with Whiz Bangs and Dominion ammo.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Not for Christmas, but I did get a .22 when I was in the 4th grade. Levergun too :mrgreen:

Maybe a year later a friend of my dads gave me his late wife's 28 gauge H&R.

Lucky kid :mrgreen:
fox
Levergunner

Post by fox »

Yep, about 10 sounds right. A Marlin Glenfield, with the Glenfield scope...still got it, 40 some odd years later.
Last edited by fox on Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageDoug
"Bene qui latuit bene vixit"

"Think me not unkind and rude
That I walk alone in grove and glen;
I go to the god of the wood
To fetch his word to men."
Emerson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I never got a gun, BB, pellet, or otherwise that I didn't earn and pay for my own self....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I must have been deprived....I didn't get my own first 22 until my 13th birthday. Now in one of my gun safes is a pair of 22 semi auto rifles -one a J. C. Higgins that my Dad gave to his Dad for Christmas, and a remington that my Grandfather gave my Dad for Christmas... the best part is it was the same Christmas either 1958 or 1959.
No you can't have em and if you try to take them bring friends you're gonna need the help. They mean that much to me.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I got a CIL 410 single shot shotgun for Christmas when I was a kid.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Mescalero wrote:Is'nt that bolt action a Mag?
if you were refering to the mossberg model 342K....no.. its 22 short, long, and long rifle
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

mine was a Mossberg 351c autoloader
Christmas before last, my daughter got a Henry H001
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Funny thing, my dad did not want to start me on a 22. At eight he got me a Thompson, but I gave it back because it was semi auto. I did not get the "fun switch" until I was 10.

At 12, I got a BAR and the magical age of 16, I got my first M-60.

Heck no, my dad did not even buy me a BB gun. He was old school and says, "you can use my guns" or you can "buy your own", which I started doing at 13.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Marlin semi-auto .22 at age 10 saved from growing and selling potatoes to Acme Grocery Store.
1St grade got a BB gun and when in 4th grade got a Winchester M37 Red Label 12 ga from Gramps! So guess that would be ages 6 & 9
Mother thought I was to young for shotgun but dad said "stay out of it" :wink: Boy did I kill a lot of stuff.

I treasure this gun!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

No.

I had to borrow until I left home.

(Shot lots of .22 in school (got the Letter Jacket even) but we were a "non-gun" (not anti, just non) home...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Got my first .22 when I was 4. Didn't really shoot it much until I was 6 or 7. My dad gave me a few guns over the years, but early on he told me that shooting is an expensive habit, and if I'm going to have expensive habits I need to learn to support them myself.

I've got a kid on the way, and I've already got its first .22 :D
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Got my first 22 on my 7th birthday from my Grandpa. A used Remington 514 bolt singleshot that he later said that he paid all of $5 for. Every birthday and Christmas after that I'd get some boxes of 22 shorts. Gramps seemed to think that 22LR was overkill on small game and killing hogs to butcher.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.