reloading question-.35 Remington

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

reloading question-.35 Remington

Post by DerekR »

I went to the bench to load some .35 Remington and I have a question. I've never loaded the Hornady 200 grainers. The bullet appears to be engaging the rifling on the last 1/8 inch of bolt travel. I full length sized my cases BTW. I've never experienced this with the 200 grain Core-Lockts, but the Hornady has a different nose profile. Any thoughts? Should it cause a pressure problem?
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: reloading question-.35 Remington

Post by madman4570 »

DerekR wrote:I went to the bench to load some .35 Remington and I have a question. I've never loaded the Hornady 200 grainers. The bullet appears to be engaging the rifling on the last 1/8 inch of bolt travel. I full length sized my cases BTW. I've never experienced this with the 200 grain Core-Lockts, but the Hornady has a different nose profile. Any thoughts? Should it cause a pressure problem?
From below link: See Question #20 on Rifle Q&A
http://www.sierrabullets.com/ask-sierra/faq/

I've heard you get better accuracy when your bullet touches the rifling. I want to do that on my deer rifle. Is there any problem?
Yes, you usually get better accuracy when you barely touch the rifling, but not always. Loads touching the rifling will increase pressures, so they should be worked up from a minimum load. Having said that, it's still not a good idea to touch the rifling in a hunting rifle. You always have the possibility of pulling a bullet when you open the action, causing problems in the field such as a bullet stuck in the barrel and powder spilled in the action.

Good Luck and proceed at your own risk!
Bet it is because you are using those long pointed Flex tips??????? longer bullet, maxing out COAL or beyond ?
Play on the side of caution my friend!
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

If I were you I'd get LEE Factory Crimp Die for the caliber, so you can seat your bullets a little deeper, rather than in the cannelure, to avoid bumping into the rifling, which won't increase pressures. jd45
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I prefer the Hornady bullets for that reason; they have the mark further to the back than other brands. They just contact the rifling in my Marlin.

I asked this question a while ago, I was worried about pressure. But it seems that contacting the rifling adds so little pressure, it's not an issue. The shorter protrusion into the case leaves more powder room and reduces pressure with the same load. Having said that, my loads aren't max loads.

You should be able to seat them as deep as you did the Remington or Sierra and ignore their mark. I believe you will have clearance for the nose if you do.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=48856
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Derek, you are right about those Hornadys wanting to engage the lands. loading those 200 grain Hornady roundnose bullets for several different rifles, I end up seating them to just cover the crimp groove, and then finish with the Lee FCD. That avoids me feeling them engage the rifling in any of several rifles. Here are how mine look:
horn200seat8639.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I like the 200 gr FTX. I'm loading for a Remington 81 with a box magazine and don't have to worry about crimping but they seem to be the right length to be short of engaging rifling..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I'm sorry I didn't clarify guys. I am using the traditional 200 grain round nose Hornady. I did experiment with seating the bullet to
just cover the cannelure and then finish with a Lee FCD. That seems to fix the problem (assuming it is a problem at all!). I have 10 test rounds that contact rifling that I didn't want to test until I was sure it didn't cause a pressure problem.
That Hornady has a fat nose!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What does the load data show for pressure in the load you are using?
If it is not near max to begin with,I doubt that they will jump very much higher if they are only starting to engrave the rifling. If they are difficult to chamber as in having to force the lever closed ,then I would not want to shoot them. The chance of pulling a bullet when unloading a loaded round will ruin your day of hunting unless you have a cleaning rod handy.