OT: round a trigger on DA revolver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

OT: round a trigger on DA revolver

Post by JNG »

I just made a post on my Charter Arms Bulldog Pug. I am very impress with the gun. A couple of things needed to be change to make it user friendily. I had to round off some edges on the gun. (I wish my knife was as sharp) With that done, I am thinking of rounding the trigger for pocket carry. I am a big enough fella that it hides well in the pocket. I now know that Charter has a model like I would want, but its to late now. Question, if I take some metal off the trigger with it effect the strike on the primmer? Thanks.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

Rounding the trigger would not be a problem. Do you mean that you want to round the hammer?
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Yes, I mean round the hammer. Sorry for the mistake. Will it hurt the strike on the primer?
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

It could. Depends on the spring tension. If you take some material off of the hammer, be careful and just round the edges. If you are looking for a rounded hammer, you just need to buy one. The ones with a snagless design have some more material added by design in other spots. The gun is made to operate with the parts that it has on it when it leaves the factory.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Bobbing the hammer could cause misfires, but not always. Just rounding the hammer spur a little shouldn't affect it that much. When you completely bob a hammer spur off, which is what you may be wanting to do, to advoid have the hammer snag on the pocket comming out on the draw, will result in a faster hammer fall which will offset the loss of hammer weight to a degree.

I have a Model 60 Smith and Wesson that had the hammer bobbed just before I bought it, and it's never misfired. I also used to use a Smith and Wesson 25-2, which is a big N-Frame revolver in 45ACP for IPSC Revolver division and it worked fine as long a I didn't use the harder CCI primers.

I also had a model 13 Smith revolver and I bobbed the hammer on it, and never had problems.

But I don't know on a Bulldog, I guess the worst case is you might have to purchase a new hammer. They generally don't have as smooth an action as a Smith and Wesson.