Shooting/loading "OLD" components.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Shooting/loading "OLD" components.

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

There has been some discussion on old powders and their suitability for use lately.
I was given a bunch of old loading components a few weeks back. I don't know exactly how old some of it is but decided to do some testing. So far,every load tried has shot very well with no issues. I would not use them to load for self defense or for a once in a lifetime hunt but for range plinking they seem to be just fine.
When have you seen prices like these last.
Shoot old components in old guns???
bubba15301
Levergunner

Re: Shooting/loading "OLD" components.

Post by bubba15301 »

i just finished loading 50 32/20s with 20 year old 2400 powder . works fine
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

Wow, that GI Joes tag sure brings back memories. Their original store was a tent, do you remember that? And did you have the opportunity to dig through all the surplus treasures? one of my great memories. I am enjoying the Az. sunshine but I live south of you on 179th street. will have to do coffee when I return.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Chuck,
Common sense prevails here. I have used thousands of old primers and never experienced any misfires. Sometimes the copper gets age hardened and guns with light firing pin strikes may sometimes need another strike.

With old powders, as long as there is still a smell of ether, it's good to go. Even if it's not, it still works ok but you have to start low and chronograph as the powder gets lighter from drying out. I have a small hoard of Hi-Vel #2, Reloader #11 and Lightning and use it regularly, but not in quantity.

I have and use many powders from the pre-war era and one of my favorite pastimes is loading the old cartridges with loads of the past, with bullets cast with moulds of the past. Common sense, start low and chronograph, preferably in a modern gun in the same chambering but that's usually not possible as there are not many modern guns chambered in 40-82 or 40-60 Marlin.

I have taken old 45-70 military cartridges dated from the 1880's and taken them apart and reused the powder.......powerful stuff that was!.

This is just a sampling of the old powders and primers I have and use from time to time. I have since used up a 5000 case of Cascade (CCI) small rifle primers from the fifties and had no misfires, from loading in the 223, 218 Bee, 32-20 and others.----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

JHarold , Hay! we are neighbors. I live on ne 22nd. ave. just south of 219th st.
WE moved here in '61'. I think GI Joe`s was out of the tent by them. They sure did have lots of surplus in the old store though. Shore smelled musty in there from all that old canvas. Lets get together some time. Chuck
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Sixgun , That is an interesting display of old powders you have. You shoot powders most can only read about. COOL !! :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have had mixed results with both primers and powders.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:. You shoot powders most can only read about. COOL !! :D
You can add bullets cast from hundred+ year old moulds.....guns too. :D The Good Lord gave me the insight when I was just a teenager so I bought much of this old stuff when it was still floating around on shelves.----6

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

How about these 250 count tins of UMC and Winchester primers from the turn of the century. The primers look new but I never could get them to fire. The UMC are small rifle and the Winchester is large rifle. A Sedgely Colt slip gun is the backdrop.