Making blanks?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jamesgpobog
Levergunner

Making blanks?

Post by jamesgpobog »

Yeah, but it's not that simple. Here's the deal...

I work on Battleship Iowa in SoCal. We've been open a little over a year and are constantly looking for ways to improve our guest experience. One of the things we are exploring right now is shooting blanks in a 40mm salute gun and a 5inch gun. Don't even think about the 16's.

This is going to be with cut down cases and black powder charges of about 1/2 pound in the 5inch, not sure how much in the 40mm.

What we want to do is use a pistol case blank (we are looking at .38spl, .357 mag, 9mm, and .45 acp) as an initiator for the black powder. The 40mm will be machined to take the case itself. The 5inch case has a removable base plug that is having an adapter made for it that will replace it and be a simple insert.

Is this a viable idea? Are we thinking correctly?

We have not decided on which pistol brass to use. Ideas?

As an initiator, should the pistol be a black powder or smokeless blank?

Does anyone have ideas about appropriate loads for the initiators?
Si vis pacem para bellum
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Re: Making blanks?

Post by w30wcf »

James,
Sounds like an interesting project. :D I think I would stick with a b.p. blank as the initiator. I have made smokeless and b.p. blanks for the 44-40 & 45 Colt & .45-70. I did find in certain instances, that the b.p. blanks ignited more easily.

Have fun!
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

When I was shooting in mounted competition, we used .45Colt BP blanks. I made my own for practice out of .45Colt cases with the flash hold drilled out to 1/8". This keeps the primer from backing out. It also requires some form of containment of the charge to make it good "BOOM"! I suspect your 5" and 40MM would also need a similar plug for the open end of that case to contain the charge. I just used a card wad cut from waxed paper (card stock) milk cartons. Some fellas used that foam stuff you use to make flower arrangements with. Both work.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

For the 105mm blanks that are issued with the Howitzer for ceremonial use they have large grain black powder in them with a thick felt over powder wad.
It is not the critic who counts
jamesgpobog
Levergunner

Post by jamesgpobog »

Paladin wrote:For the 105mm blanks that are issued with the Howitzer for ceremonial use they have large grain black powder in them with a thick felt over powder wad.
One of the issues about the wad is that we will be required to not put anything into the harbor water. I think so far indications are that floral foam works well for this.
Si vis pacem para bellum
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

jamesgpobog,

Go ahead, you want to:
U.S.S. Iowa Mk 41 firing computer keys.jpg
Shawn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

My cannon is a front stuffer but I use old bread and buns as wadding. Gets a good boom and is 100% biodegradable and consumable by critters. :D
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
jamesgpobog
Levergunner

Post by jamesgpobog »

Hagler wrote:jamesgpobog,

Go ahead, you want to:
U.S.S. Iowa Mk 41 firing computer keys.jpg
Shawn
Yep, was down in Aft Plot 2 weeks ago and saw them....
Si vis pacem para bellum
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

The battleship Massachusetts has been a floating museum in Fall River, MA since the 60's. I slept on board with my boys as Cub Scouts twice. I got talking with one of the volunteers there and he said they shoot BP blanks out of one of the 5" guns during special events. I didn't see it when I visited but you may want to contact Battleship Cove and ask them to put you in contact with some of their volunteers. They likely have been there and done that and can give you advice.

Anyone who has the chance should visit Battleship Cove. My boys and I all loved it when we visited. I'm sure there are some other Southern New England lever gunners who've gone.

Jason
jamesgpobog
Levergunner

Post by jamesgpobog »

Some more questions...

I think it's going to be a .38 case, for reasons of idiot-proofing against live ammo. The chamber insert being made for the 5-inch blank will be cross-drilled at the edge and a rod threaded to prevent a live round from being chambered. We may even shorten the case a bit to prevent flush-loaded wadcutters.

We'll use black powder/Goex/Pyrodex. For these 'initiators', should we use 'priming powder' (FFFFG) for the initiator and cannon (FG), or something like 'Reenactor'? The main charge is going to be 1/2 pound.

Is a simple card wad on top of a full case with a slight crimp from a Lee die going to be sufficient?
Si vis pacem para bellum
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My only question, and I ask because I don't know. It seems to me the diamiter of the firing pin might be as big as the primer in a .38 case. I'm thinking the primer in the .38 is designed to be hit in the center so the anvil in the primer gives the proper blow to ignite the primer, thus the charge. You might try a few primed cases in the gun in question first before putting in a load of black powder. IIRC even a .50 BMG case has a larger primer than a small pistol etc.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I notice that there are many of the old 3"x25 cal. naval rifles over at the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station near me and they occasionally get used for salutes. You might ask their PIO how their blanks work, as a matter of "professional courtesy". And possibly somebody up at Ft. McArthur up above you on the hill might have some insights--they used to have a bunch of coastal defense cannons up there and their museum volunteers might know some details of salute blanks.

Another thought would be to machine a 40mm casing to chamber the 10 guage blanks used in Winchester salute cannons. That would save you the handloading and those guns are regularly used to start regattas in our area--any of the big sailing clubs should have one to study. They make a hell of a bang!
jamesgpobog
Levergunner

Post by jamesgpobog »

Those last two replys are going in the file to be submitted.

The 40mm/10ga might work, I know for a fact the CHENG is going for major blastage with the 1/2 lb charge...
Si vis pacem para bellum