POLITICS - When Seconds Mean Life or Death...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

POLITICS - When Seconds Mean Life or Death...

Post by BruceB »

...the police are only minutes away! :shock:

When somebody tells you they'll call 911 because the police are here to protect us, tell them about this woman.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_8633249?source=rss_viewed
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tragic.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Yeh thats pretty much the way it is over here too.
The government says we dont need weapons to defend ourselves, thats what the police are there for "call 000 and ask for the police".
I'd back my Rottweiller and a gun against 000 any day of the week.
I've often wondered if in Australia, since we are not allowed weapons to defend ourselves whether perhaps we could sue our government when something happens, because they failed to protect us under "duty of care" legislation.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Actually, In America, the courts have determined multiple times that the Police do NOT owe us a duty as individuals to protect us. Their Duty is to Society and I agree with the court rulings. That is why we should be able to protect ourselves, try getting a leftest to agree with that! But, that is not really their concern, armed citizens do not make good serfs...
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

You gotta have a plan, that the whole family can use.
Hide weapons, talk tactics. A phone, though it is an important tool, won't protect you.

I feel sorry for that woman's family :cry: .
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

What a shame.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Someone should do a study on how many people were killed during or after calling 911, but before the police arrived. Then do a cover story in Time.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

I read about that yesterday and posted it on a forum with mixed political views.

A few people thought that she should have invested money in a better door and a security system. :x
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

There was a case a while back in my town, where someone broke into a woman's home. She didn't have a gun but fought back anyway, driving the intruder out finally, guess he'd had enough of her (sorry, can't remember the details). Anyway the PR spokesman for the police wrote a letter to the editor of the local newspaper saying she would have been better advised to submit! :shock:

Do you ever notice, when you see articles in newspapers or magazines on the topic of self defense for women, they NEVER mention firearms, the most effective tool women can use? :x
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Jason_W wrote:I read about that yesterday and posted it on a forum with mixed political views.

A few people thought that she should have invested money in a better door and a security system. :x
Post this for them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkS8mdbml0A
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Law enforcement can't be everywhere and they may be dealing with things just as bad or worse than what the current 911 emergency is. There are only so many on duty at any one time.

I believe the first line of defense for any person and the one the most responsible for that defense is the individual. Then whoever (family or others present) until law enforcement arrives.

BruceB wrote:
When somebody tells you they'll call 911 because the police are here to protect us, tell them about this woman.
I have to say when I first read that I took insult, but after thinking about it I don't think BruceB meant it in the context I took it. I don't think he was slamming law enforcement for not being there and failed to do their job. I think he meant individuals are responsible for their own protection first. I'm going to leave it at that until I know differently.
Old Law Dawg
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Tycer wrote:
Jason_W wrote:I read about that yesterday and posted it on a forum with mixed political views.

Post this for them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkS8mdbml0A
Chilling.

The "lets not do anything rash" part from the dispatcher was priceless.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

KirkD wrote:Someone should do a study on how many people were killed during or after calling 911, but before the police arrived. Then do a cover story in Time.
One of the gun rights organizations has done something like that .. it's a book called "DIAL 911 AND DIE". I will have to look for it.

EDIT - found it .. not sure it is what you meant but it is one most of the sheep at least, should read .. http://www.amazon.com/Dial-911-Die-Rich ... 0964230445
Last edited by JimT on Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

kimwcook wrote:Law enforcement can't be everywhere and they may be dealing with things just as bad or worse than what the current 911 emergency is. There are only so many on duty at any one time.

BruceB wrote:
...I don't think he was slamming law enforcement for not being there and failed to do their job. I think he meant individuals are responsible for their own protection first. I'm going to leave it at that until I know differently.
Precisely what I read in it.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Dial 911 & DIE is a JPFO product.
God knows the NRA won't produce anything like it.

Over here in the Daley Empire we had 5 women killed in a Layne Bryant store... largely because one of them called 911 on her cell phone and the goon heard the call for service on his portable scanner.

Of course, being in Illinois she wasn't allowed to dial 9MM... :evil:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

JFPO .. yes. Thank you. They publish quite a few things other organizations won't.

I remember they had a huge billboards with that message ..DIAL 911 AND DIE put up around various cities at one time. They got a lot of flak over it.

None of them disparange 911 or the service that it is.

They just tell the truth .. YOU are the FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE. Relying on someone else will just get you dead.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

As John Steinbeck once said:

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him, 'Why carry a 45?'. The Ranger responded with, 'Because they don't make a .46.' * Credit to Retired Texas Ranger Joaquin (Waukeen) Jackson, Alpine, Texas.

6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

8. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Comments: I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. To which I said I did. She said, 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!' To which I said, 'Of course it is loaded, can't work without bullets.' She then asked, 'Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?' My reply was, 'No not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around, and THEY ARE ALL LOADED.'

Parting note: An unloaded gun is just a club.
Semper Fi
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

kimwcook wrote: I don't think he was slamming law enforcement for not being there and failed to do their job. I think he meant individuals are responsible for their own protection first. I'm going to leave it at that until I know differently.
You are thinking correctly. No insult to LEO's was intended. Been in LE in one form or another myself for 30 years.

NRA Life Member

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jbm1968 wrote:Actually, In America, the courts have determined multiple times that the Police do NOT owe us a duty as individuals to protect us. Their Duty is to Society and I agree with the court rulings. That is why we should be able to protect ourselves, try getting a leftest to agree with that! But, that is not really their concern, armed citizens do not make good serfs...
Correct. My father was a LEO, and I was privledged to grow up with many federal, state and local LEO's in my life - as well as military. All would have loved to be able to prevent crime - to be there instantly when trouble arose to save the innocent. Reality is that they simply can't be - and the few times they can prevent crime are wonderful indeed. Mostly, they are there to maintain order, prevent by presence in areas or situations already prone to crime, or investigate afterwards to try to apprehend the criminal and prevent further crime.

Free citizens are responsible for their own safety first and foremost. Anything depriving the free citizen of this right is tyranny and evil, plain and simple.

When a politician advocates gun control, they aren't trying to make you safer. They are telling you they don't value your life, and don't want competition in the power department - for an armed person is a citizen, not a serf... :evil:
greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Winchesters. I'm a kid again.
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Correct. My father was a LEO, and I was privledged to grow up with many federal, state and local LEO's in my life - as well as military. All would have loved to be able to prevent crime - to be there instantly when trouble arose to save the innocent. Reality is that they simply can't be - and the few times they can prevent crime are wonderful indeed. Mostly, they are there to maintain order, prevent by presence in areas or situations already prone to crime, or investigate afterwards to try to apprehend the criminal and prevent further crime.

Free citizens are responsible for their own safety first and foremost. Anything depriving the free citizen of this right is tyranny and evil, plain and simple.
One of the Chiefs of Police of L.A., Ed Davis, said it best:
" If someone breaks into your house to kill you and you call the police, when they get there they will be happy to take down the details of your death."

NRA Life Member