Marlin 39s?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Marlin 39s?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I have wanted a lever action 22 to round out my lever collection. It seems these things are pricey in the $600 and up range for nice earlier models. I do not want the safety model and am looking for used stuff from the last century.

I've done some searching and folks speak highly of these 22s. I understand the 39 is normally a long barrelled pistol grip stock. The Mountie, gotta admit the name interests this canuck, is a straight grip shorter barrel rifle. They tend to sell quick around here but I've only been watching for awhile.

Looking for straight honest opinions about these rifles and their value in either model. A purchase may involve shipping and folks do tend to sell dogs.

Do they fit small or are they sized for an adult?

I really like the take down feature. Anything to be aware of here as far as actually using the feature?

One I noticed seemed to be an oil finish in great shape. It did not look like the Marlin finish I'm used to.

Does refinishing or mods effect price? I guess I'm wondering about the collectors value issue seen on 94s and others.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marlin 39s?

Post by Dave »

The 39 series guns are good. They are not a kids gun. The rifle version in particular is pretty heavy for a kid to tote around. They tend to shoot very well. Older guns came with oil finished stocks so depending on the gun that may be original.

I haven't priced them lately but a really good one would bring maybe $450 around here. The only thing is they have about completely dried up. They were always an expensive gun so less new ones were purchased back in the day. That means less used ones now.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have a 39M with the gold trigger. Am 6'3" with long arms. 39M fits me fine is accurate and reliable with everything from CB Shorts and LR's. Have shot a box or 2 Longs, don't remember nothing bad or good about them, they just worked. With a K2.5 Micro-trac and a tree for a lean to rest, 2" or less groups at a 100 yards were no problem with CCI Blazers. Its one of the last rifles I'll sell or pas on b4 I do.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I had a minty 1968 Mountie that I had to sell because I loved carrying and shooting it so much. Took the proceeds from that and bought a lovingly used 1957 shooter and ten bricks of ammo. It will probably be the last gun I part with. Whenever we do the "If you could only have one gun" threads my answer is always the same: My Marlin 39 Mountie.

Regarding the takedown feature, the bolt and firing pin must be kept an eye on. The bolt will almost always stay in, but when it does not the firing pin can fall out.

EDITED to say 1957 instead of 1953
Last edited by Tycer on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks for the quick reply. It seems these 22s are very pricey here in Canada. Clean models from the 50s are asking $700 to 800!!!!! Maybe might look into a 9422 or Browning BLR 22. I am real fond of my 444 and consider the Marlin as my first choice other than the price.

One other question, I have a Lyman steel 66 for the Winchester 94/92. Does it fit with some easy modification on a 39? It looks like my 444 and 94 peeps have the same bolt pattern. The Winchester model has a little lip on the top of the side plate. Maybe I could take that off and fit it to a Marlin 39.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Canuck Bob wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. It seems these 22s are very pricey here in Canada. Clean models from the 50s are asking $700 to 800!!!!! Maybe might look into a 9422 or Browning BLR 22. I am real fond of my 444 and consider the Marlin as my first choice other than the price.

One other question, I have a Lyman steel 66 for the Winchester 94/92. Does it fit with some easy modification on a 39? It looks like my 444 and 94 peeps have the same bolt pattern. The Winchester model has a little lip on the top of the side plate. Maybe I could take that off and fit it to a Marlin 39.
The Model 39 is different, than the 39"A". $700, for a mint, pre-microgrooved 39a is not out of line today. Remington is building junk Marlin's and everyone wants the real deal. Early, pre-safety, Golden 39a's easily sell online, in the $450-$550 range.

The 66MC, for the 39a, has 3/8" hole spacing and a flat, square, mounting base. The 66A, for your 1894, has a bridge that is too wide and may sit too high.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

jdad wrote:
Canuck Bob wrote:
One other question, I have a Lyman steel 66 for the Winchester 94/92. Does it fit ?
The 66MC, for the 39a, has 3/8" hole spacing and a flat, square, mounting base. The 66A, for your 1894, has a bridge that is too wide and may sit too high.
While Williams, Lyman, etc receiver peep sights have the same hole spacing & their respective bases will fit - but, as jdad alluded, sights meant for the larger CF rifles have longer horizontal bridges (which carry the aperture) to span the CF rifle's wider receiver's.

Sights for the Model 39a have a shorter bridge.

FWIW, I've shortened a Williams bridge, that worked/zeroed ok, but it looked like stuff (the shortened & blackened end).

BTW, unless one's interested in a Mountie (1955, up), the best quality & accuracy can usually be had from an earlier version (1946-50).
I've had 1951 & 1955 models that were excellent, but not quite as accurate as the 1946 model I also had.

That's not to say that a 1960's model had bad quality - they didn't, and are also eminently acceptable.

Also, Marlin 39a's in the group under discussion, are dated via their SN letter prefix, starting with a "C" in 1946.

trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

My 39M is from the mid-'80s; pre-safety, Micro-Groove. Handles anything put through it from CB Shorts and CB Longs (even Super Colibris) and shorts and longs on up--mix and match in any order--without a hiccough. It's never been finicky about what goes through it, and I'm glad it's happy with bulk box El Cheapo. Never had a scope on it, but it groups as well as I can see at practical .22 ranges. It has a good solid feel and heft to it. If you can find one, go for it. That and my W.W. Greener .22 conversion of an 1897 Martini-Enfield Artillery Carbine are the last ones I would let go.

Don't worry about used. They are very robust, and it would take almost deliberate abuse to mess one up. As others have said, they ain't making 'em any more.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I love my Mountie. Its a 70's vintage. I worked the fore end down to the same size as the receiver/fore end cap, removed the white line spacer under the butt plate, and got rid of the ramp sight base and dovetailed the front sight into the barrel. It has a Lyman 66 receiver sight. The take down is very handy, I use it quite a bit, and had a canvas case made for it (fits when taken apart), copying on old one. Only real thing to remember about the takedown is to put it on half cock first.

If you clean it from the back end, there's a screw that will hold the ejector out of the way, just remember to release the ejector before shooting again,.... :D

Shooting it empty (or dry firing) can eventually result in the stop stud on the firing pin being broken, allowing the firing pin to hit the barrel and peen the chamber. Only had it happen once, but its good to be aware of and watch for. The gun will still fire, but the protection of the stop stud isnt there.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i have the 39AS, gold trigger model that i purchased new in 1990 (?)

it's accurate, reliable and will digest any fodder i feed to it.

i have stuck with the standard, buckhorn open sights. to me, they feel and perform "right". once i figured out the adjustment of the rear sight yardages (approximate) and fine tuned the front sight, it's capable of VERY GOOD accuracy.

the take down feature has enabled me to take it places i would not normally take a rifle. it fits nicely into a trailer or truck with about half the room a regular sized rifle case takes.

i will not part with this fine rifle.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Its what I learned to shoot on. Heavy, long barrel, but puts even cheap .22 bullets inside a nickel at 30yards, with good ammo, can easily put them in a dime or less.

Can't speak of the newer models, but an older one is worth it.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had a 1960 Mountie, it was a fine gun but I never really took to it, I previously had a Erma lever action (forerunner of the Henry) and that was super smooth, my Winchester 9422s were in my opinion a bit better built and nicer to shoot.
The Marlin 39 though was a good rifle and will last for generations, giving excellent service .
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Keep in mind that pre-WW2 they were a lot nicer looking. :D No serial number prefix - 1939 and "B" prefix 1940-41. After WW2 when production started back up (1946) Marlin went to blued receivers.

This was the nicest "B" I ever owned.

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks guys, the rifle's I'm looking at are simply too much money. I revisited an older thread from here where we discussed lever 22s. The takedown 39 or 9422 is probably what I'll get but not at foolish prices.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=36238
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Canuck Bob wrote:Thanks guys, the rifle's I'm looking at are simply too much money. I revisited an older thread from here where we discussed lever 22s. The takedown 39 or 9422 is probably what I'll get but not at foolish prices.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=36238

Buy a Henry if you are on a budget. Nothing wrong with them if you want a carbine length shooter. H001T. http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-lever-octagon.cfm

Prices are only "foolish" if people aren't willing to pay that price. Look at what people spend, for bottled water or Starbucks (flavored water). The market determines price. :wink:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a 39AS. Some people consider them to be inferior to the older ones mainly because of the rebounding hammer. That can be changed but in my experience it hasn't been a problem. It's a personal thing I know but the Marlin fits me better than the 9422. YMMV.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

Good clean 9422s are an excellent alternative - very well made guns - but they typically don't come any cheaper than a JM 39A. If anything, they run more, at least in these parts. Both are darn hard to find. Best of luck in your search.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

If you can get your hands on a 39a hang on to it. You can't go wrong with them in my opinion :D :D
Mine is 1978 vintage, I stripped the terrible Marlin varnish finish off it and Tru oiled it and it looks great!
It swallows anything I feed it too :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Mine is a 1967 version which is a few years older than me. I can't see it ever being sold. They are full size adult rifles and should last forever with reasonable care so price is not much of an issue.

Chris
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Well it turns out a 9422 is not any cheaper as related above.

My idea is to hold on and buy something like a nice older rifle because I like the older guns best.

At these prices I could buy a number of nice rifles of real interest to me.

My trusty old 10-22 is my continuing rimfire for now. It has a new Timney trigger and it is old enough to be a walnut stocked early version.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

The Henry youth levers are light and handy. Fairly cheap down here.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Never could cozy up to the Marlin 39's. Mostly preferred the 9422 and my 10-22's.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I bought a 39a when I heard Marlin was selling because I had wanted one from my youth. While it isn't a 39 like they once were it is very accurate. The walnut in mine is nicely figured and fit also.
Negatives are that rebounding hammer isn't an improvement and it is heavy.
I see them used from time to time and some are very nice. I saw a Annie Oakley commemorative that was like new for 500 a few years back that would of come home if I could of, but it was bad timing.
How about a Browning?
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I understand the BL22 is not a takedown model. My job as a travelling salesman in the olpatch takes me out to the bush regularly and a rifle that fits in a suitcase works for me.

One new consideration is that it might be wise to choose a rifle fitted better for my growing girls. Which might favour the Winchester or Browning if I drop the take down feature.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

3leggedturtle wrote:The Henry youth levers are light and handy. Fairly cheap down here.
If I didn't have a 9422, and 9422M, a early 60s Mountie, and a few other 22s, I'd jump all over a Henry. That little bugga Youth fits me just fine, and is short, and light....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

BlaineG wrote:
3leggedturtle wrote:The Henry youth levers are light and handy. Fairly cheap down here.
If I didn't have a 9422, and 9422M, a early 60s Mountie, and a few other 22s, I'd jump all over a Henry. That little bugga Youth fits me just fine, and is short, and light....
Yup, if I had to replace my 9422 it would be the Henry Youth Carbine.. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

The Henry is a fine gun. I just can't get used to plastic and non-steel metals. I consider my 10-22 about as modern material as I would go for myself.

I will consider these rifles in a heartbeat when my young daughters approach powder burning, darn Canadian laws interfere a bit for us city dwelling shooters with young kids. The reviews here make it clear the Henries are fine rifles.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Someday, I can trade my 9422, and 9422M for a month's Alaskan hunt, and a couple new Henrys :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV