Cast Iron Cleaning Tip

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Cast Iron Cleaning Tip

Post by Blaine »

Prolly everyone but me knew this, but, a stubborn light stain (light rust?) can be rubbed out with salt and a little cooking oil....seems to remove the problem without damaging the pan too much....I swear, good cast iron taken care of properly is better than anything.....cook low and slow, and don't flip until it's ready.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Cast Iron Cleaning Tip

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rule #1 of Cast Iron...

Washing is unnecessary and counterproductive.

Anything that sticks can be removed with cooking heat and a little oil - and yea, sometimes a little salt if things get too hairy.

The pan itself should be heated with oil and just wiped clean of food particles leaving a thin film of oil as a protectant.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I'd give up my stove before my cast iron cookware. :wink:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Pisgah wrote:I'd give up my stove before my cast iron cookware. :wink:
Heh... heh... fire... fire... cool... heh... heh...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I inherited mom's set. It cooks so much better than the stuff my wife and I got as a wedding present 40 years ago. But I think some of mom's cast iron dates back to the 1800's. It just doesn't wear out.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

I got my mom's old stuff when I was still young and stupid and the internet was just starting out. Didn't know squat about it and when it rusted after I washed it and put it away, I threw it out. How young and stupid I was. Now I have a newer Lodge pan that I am working up to hopefully, something close to mom's old stuff. If a reasonable Wagner crosses my path I will pick it up. The Lodge is not doing too bad. We are a couple months into using it and it gets better with each cook.

Food tastes better cooked on cast iron. We have a nice stainless set that we hardly use anymore. I threw out all of the teflon pans except for the egg pan.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

got a new Lodge 6 Quart Dutch Oven for deer hunting this year, can't wait to make some stew, chili, and my 12th attempt at brownies...cast iron rules... :)
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We have several iron pans that are true Family Heirlooms. as far as we know about 100 years old .they had so much grease baked on the top inside and outside of them that they were pretty nasty. How to clean?? read on the internet....set your electric range to "clean" and let them bake inside.We tried it. all the built up nasty stuff turned to a fine powder that washes off.
just re-season it with oil and their ready for the next 100 years. 8) .
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Keep in mind that men often suffer from ferrite overload and we have no way to reduce the iron in our bodies( except Blaine though ). Donating blood fixes this. Using cast iron increases the iron load in our bodies. I use cast iron cookwear every day. I have quite a few different sizes and kinds. No acidic sauces get cooked in them though, I hate re-seasoning the pans.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've had a Dutch oven & a 12" fry pan for years, but got lucky at a yard/tag sale this past Spring.

I was able to buy 3 6"frypans, 3 10" frypans, and an oval-shape 5"x9" fish fry pan for the grand total of $1.50. :o

The youngsters selling them had obviously come across them ( maybe in the house they bought ?), but had no clue as to their utility, just thinking the cast iron cookware to be "heavy junk". (They're Soooo cute, when they're little ! :mrgreen: )

The pans were a little rusty (also why they were cheap), but they cleaned up very quickly, asap I got them home.

I think a couple of my friends are going to get unusual Christmas presents this year... ;) . :roll:

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Tycer wrote:Keep in mind that men often suffer from ferrite overload and we have no way to reduce the iron in our bodies( except Blaine though ). Donating blood fixes this. Using cast iron increases the iron load in our bodies. I use cast iron cookwear every day. I have quite a few different sizes and kinds. No acidic sauces get cooked in them though, I hate re-seasoning the pans.
Notice that the Wimmins didn't have quite so many problems with "Iron Poor Blood" back before "modern" cookware...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Tycer wrote:Keep in mind that men often suffer from ferrite overload and we have no way to reduce the iron in our bodies( except Blaine though ). Donating blood fixes this. Using cast iron increases the iron load in our bodies. I use cast iron cookwear every day. I have quite a few different sizes and kinds. No acidic sauces get cooked in them though, I hate re-seasoning the pans.
Notice that the Wimmins didn't have quite so many problems with "Iron Poor Blood" back before "modern" cookware...
That monthly blood letting is one of the reasons they don't get the build-up of iron.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Tycer wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:
That monthly blood letting is one of the reasons they don't get the build-up of iron.
Yep. And then they started cooking on Stainless, Aluminium & Copper and they needed to start taking Iron Pills to stave off anemia.

Funny how that works.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Of the many cast iron pieces I use, one is an enameled skillet from my Grandmother. I use it for the tomato sauces. No seasoning required.

One of two new pieces I have is a Lodge 10" round griddle. I never liked it because it had the ridges on the cooking surface, left over from the manufacturing. It was packed away for years. I got it out a couple of years ago and smoothed it up with a disc sander. That was a mess, but the results were worth it. A mirror smooth surface, seasoned once and use it several times a week.

The other is a stove top dutch oven I received for Christmas a few years ago. It is an off brand enameled piece, but works well. Great soup and chili pot. I never let a chicken or turkey carcass go in the trash anymore.

All of my other is cast iron is old, mostly handed down from family, some bought at flea markets.

Kevin
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

This July, while on a roadtrip, I ran across a Maine (only ?) department store chain, Reny's ( http://www.renys.com/ ) , which carries a pretty full line of new C.I. cookware @ decent prices.

I bought a griddle from their Farmington store, flat on one side / ribbed on the other, for $15.95, and noticed that their large Dutch ovens w/lid & carry bail was priced @ $39.95.

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

My Wife fried Okra in Mine last nite, a simple wipe with a paper towel and it is ready for the next meal. Didn't even have to add oil to put it away. But like someone said, no more Tomato's in mine.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sand works as well as salt, but doesn't absorb the oil.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

I've had high iron levels in the past and I usually cook in a nice set of Kitchen Aid stainless non stic that I liked since day one.
This years blood test showed a less amount of iron being retained, but this is something that interests me and I have to keep an eye on.
I like the blood donor angle for control. Maybe God is trying to tell me that tithing is not just about money.
- Brian
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

Mac in Mo wrote: One of two new pieces I have is a Lodge 10" round griddle. I never liked it because it had the ridges on the cooking surface, left over from the manufacturing. It was packed away for years. I got it out a couple of years ago and smoothed it up with a disc sander. That was a mess, but the results were worth it. A mirror smooth surface, seasoned once and use it several times a week.

Kevin
I did the same thing Not sure about ridges, but just the porous sand cast left in the pan is a pain in the butt. Once sanded smooth it took a while to get it functioning again, thought I ruined it for good, but once it got seasoned enough times it is a much better end result. Easier to wipe out when your done. I would do it again if I get another for frying pan uses. The cast doesn't bother me in the dutch oven cause its usually just doing roasts or stews in liquids not trying to flip eggs or anything in it.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Pete44ru wrote:.

This July, while on a roadtrip, I ran across a Maine (only ?) department store chain, Reny's ( http://www.renys.com/ ) , which carries a pretty full line of new C.I. cookware @ decent prices.

I bought a griddle from their Farmington store, flat on one side / ribbed on the other, for $15.95, and noticed that their large Dutch ovens w/lid & carry bail was priced @ $39.95.

Ah, Reny's Underground in Damariscotta! A GREAT store!