Browning 1895 Buttplate

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tombstone Charlie
Levergunner

Browning 1895 Buttplate

Post by Tombstone Charlie »

I have a new (to me) 1895 Brownchester in .30-40 (at last!).
The flat, nondescript buttplate needs help, though. Have any of y'all had any luck with changing yours out? Do original Win 95 shotgun style plates fit, or maybe a classic orange pad (Silvers or similar)? How difficult would a changeout be?
Any advice is appreciated, Thanks!
Hobie

Re: Browning 1895 Buttplate

Post by Hobie »

I'm fine with the factory butt plate. My shoulder is non-descript as well. Put a pad on it? No thank you.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Since I use my Browing 1895 as one of my primary hunting pieces, I traded the slippery factory buttplate for a thin rubber pad for better purchase on the shoulder and the odd time you might have to stand it in a rack. Much more useful.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My Miroku/Winchester 1895 .405 WCF came "like new" with a Limb Saver pad on it - thank goodness for that.
It can be a handful with 400 grain handloads and the pad is indeed a limb saver. :D

However, with the .30-40 load, any pad you like that provides traction with your shoulder should suffice(as per blackhawk44 post). Possibly some Google research can tell you if there was a factory pad supplied with the original Winchester 1895 rifles.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Tombstone Charlie
Levergunner

Post by Tombstone Charlie »

Thanks, y'all-slippage was my main problem. I'll nose around and see what is out there.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

It looks to me that the the winchester checkered steel shotgun-style buttplates with the spur on top (the style that were used on the model 64s, model 70s, model 71s) would be a good fit, if you get one made for the model 70. I bought a repro one that was supposed to be for both the model 70 and 71, but it was too narrow for the model 71. Looks like a good fit for the Browning 1895, though. I think these were used on later original 1895s sometimes as well.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/247970C.htm

I think the current Winchesters also have checkered steel buttplates - someone who has one could answer that, maybe? The current 1886 Winchesters do, but their buttplates are just a bit wider in all directions than the Browning 1895 buttplates, but with the same curve. If the current Winchester buttplates are checkered, I might pick one up for my Browning 1895 since they are not expensive and would require a little less inletting and fitting work than the one with the spur requires. Numrich doesn't have a photo.
Edit: I finally found a photo, and it looks like the Winchester/Miruko 1895 buttplate is still a thin, smooth buttplate, like the Brownings; can anyone confirm this?

Alternately, if you don't mind staying with a thin, flat style, you could get one of the checkered brass buttplates. They install and fit easily, but the scew spacing is different, so you would have to fill and re-drill one of the holes in the stock. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/st ... 51790.aspx I like the look of brass buttplates, or it can be blackened, and is a little thicker than the smooth Browning buttplate.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

My original 1895 with a shotgun butt has the checkered steel butt plate with the widow's peak as pictured above by 7.62. The 1895 plate is a little smaller than my pre-64 Model 70 plate but the Model 70 plate could be filed to fit the 1895. I have no idea how the repro stock compares to the original.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

The repro stocks are about the right width for the M70 buttplate, with the buttplate just slightly wider. The toe of the buttplate is longer than the toe of the stock, and would have to be fit a little more than the sides. there is extra border there around the checkering, so after fitting it would look just right.