Blondie RIP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Blondie RIP

Post by JNG »

Happened two nights ago. The dog went nuts around 0430. I went out with my mag light and Browning 22. The dog ran to the back of the yard, while I checked the coop. The place where I stapled the chicken wire to a post was pulled apart. I was afraid that would happen, so I had a door with a latch on the coop which I closed at night. I guess that either did not latch it good enough or the critter was smarter then I. Red was fine, but no Blondie, feathers were all around. Went to where the dog was and found her half eaten. Dollar it was a coon.
Took Red to my sons place until I come up with plan B. She was a cool bird.

Joe
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Re: Blondie RIP

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I hope you're wearing one of these real soon. Payback time! :x
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I am sorry about the loss. I hope you get the coon soon, probably find more than one when you start to get them. I found 22mag with a 125 luman light taped on the end works real well. Put the crosshairs between the glowing eyes. I have got about 15 coons so far trying to get in my cages.

Steve
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Get that little bastard :evil: :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

THIS works really well for such events...

People make fun of it because it looks like a mall-ninja gun, but everything on it works WELL, particularly for night-patrol of the farmstead. It's just a regular 10/22 in a Tapco stock, with a Bushnell Holosight, cheapie NCStar pistol laser (in front of the Holosight), and currently sports a Lowe's hardware LED light of around 280 lumens.

I have the same concept set up with a couple leverguns, as well...

Rossi version:

Marlin version:

Either of the leverguns can shoot 50-yard groups like THIS at night in PITCH BLACK conditions...

...PLUS neither one will deafen me like if I took my AR-15 out at night with some fancy can't-afford-it night sight (I use 38 Specials in the 357 Mag Marlin and 45 Colt 'cowboy' level loads in the Rossi). Both leverguns are setup so I could easily see a feral cat at 75-100 yards, AND hit it, if need be.

Here's a thread about the leverguns > Night Scout Leverguns
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:THIS works really well for such events...

People make fun of it because it looks like a mall-ninja gun, but everything on it works WELL, particularly for night-patrol of the farmstead. It's just a regular 10/22 in a Tapco stock, with a Bushnell Holosight, cheapie NCStar pistol laser (in front of the Holosight), and currently sports a Lowe's hardware LED light of around 280 lumens.

I have the same concept set up with a couple leverguns, as well...

Rossi version:

Marlin version:

Either of the leverguns can shoot 50-yard groups like THIS at night in PITCH BLACK conditions...

...PLUS neither one will deafen me like if I took my AR-15 out at night with some fancy can't-afford-it night sight (I use 38 Specials in the 357 Mag Marlin and 45 Colt 'cowboy' level loads in the Rossi). Both leverguns are setup so I could easily see a feral cat at 75-100 yards, AND hit it, if need be.

Here's a thread about the leverguns > Night Scout Leverguns
With a can, I'd like to see/hear what a subsonic .357 180gr wad cutter would do.... 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Leave a live trap baited then you can use what ever you want :wink: I am sorry for your loss. For those critters that wind up in my live trap get dispatched with a .20 cal pellet rifle or a silenced 22lr.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rjohns94 wrote:Leave a live trap baited then you can use what ever you want :wink: I am sorry for your loss. For those critters that wind up in my live trap get dispatched with a .20 cal pellet rifle or a silenced 22lr.
Yep. After sitting out for a couple hours at dusk and getting mosquito-bit, it dawned on me to use a live-trap. That way if the neighbor's cat got trapped, I could just let it go, but if it was the raccoon that was eating our chickens, it would be carried (in the trap) out to the edge of the back field, then shot while still in the trap (22 Short HP usually, from rifle with muzzle just inside trap mesh to not damage trap).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

looks like it's time for another un-documented domestic drone strike...NSA operator's are standing by... :O
drone_strike.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

30wcf wrote:looks like it's time for another un-documented domestic drone strike...NSA operator's are standing by... :O
drone_strike.jpg
You're vying for my "incorrigible" title, aren't you?? :shock: :o

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I'm sorry to hear it, those sneaking predators are a real pain.

We had a fox or something a couple years ago, maybe a raccoon, but I've never seen one around here so I'm still leaning towards fox. If there is a next time I'm planning to get up around 3 for a few nights and nail the little bastid, but what we did that time was improve the wire on the front of the coop. Quarter inch hardware cloth with field fence stapled over it.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

AJMD429 wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:Leave a live trap baited then you can use what ever you want :wink: I am sorry for your loss. For those critters that wind up in my live trap get dispatched with a .20 cal pellet rifle or a silenced 22lr.
Yep. After sitting out for a couple hours at dusk and getting mosquito-bit, it dawned on me to use a live-trap. That way if the neighbor's cat got trapped, I could just let it go, but if it was the raccoon that was eating our chickens, it would be carried (in the trap) out to the edge of the back field, then shot while still in the trap (22 Short HP usually, from rifle with muzzle just inside trap mesh to not damage trap).
Oooh, Doc... Cain't we teach you nuthin'?

:shock: :cry:

:lol: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:
30wcf wrote:looks like it's time for another un-documented domestic drone strike...NSA operator's are standing by... :O
drone_strike.jpg
You're vying for my "incorrigible" title, aren't you?? :shock: :o
i've been sitting at the feet of the "MASTER"... :)
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Bought a hav-a-heart the other day. baited it with sardines. 1st night caught a cat. The next night I caught a huge coon.
Loaded a short in my rifle and put one in the head and just to make sure 1 in the ear. Took him to the woods and dumped him. Now his pals can feast.
I'm going to set it up every day and see what I get, though caught the same cat again. Dumb cat.

Joe
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JNG wrote:Bought a hav-a-heart the other day. baited it with sardines. 1st night caught a cat. The next night I caught a huge coon.
Loaded a short in my rifle and put one in the head and just to make sure 1 in the ear. Took him to the woods and dumped him. Now his pals can feast.
I'm going to set it up every day and see what I get, though caught the same cat again. Dumb cat.

Joe
Could it be the cat? :?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Well, I would never say a firm no, but I just don't think a cat would be ale to pull the chicken wire apart. I did use the wire fabric on the bottom of their night coop. Guess I went cheap for the outer part. By the way, when my son started raising chickens his place was over run with coons. He trapped 19 of them in 3 weeks and now he has not seen one in a coon age. (haha humor)

Joe
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

I haven't lost a chicken in about three months or so--lost six in two weeks back around easter. Killed six possums in six weeks. Oddly enough, my wife exiled three adult cats and four kittens and none of them bother any of our chickens. My fifteen young birds (chicks bought in April) haven't been touched. My five older birds haven't had any trouble since the possum massacree.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

A lot of the time if you have a large old tree withina stones throw, you probably have a den tree. I dont believe the average coon can eat 1/2 chicken so you probably have a sow w/ young--back to the tree! My mother had a lot of trouble with the critters, and found that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were the best bait for her locale. Had one as a pet when I was a kid. This one was an adolescent of about 5-6 pounds and he was strong and very clever. Two traits that made him a PITA. Came from a den tree less than 100 feet from the house.