Winchester model 92 25-20

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dan
Levergunner

Winchester model 92 25-20

Post by Dan »

I have a Winchester model 92 2520 with a hexagon barrel. Any idea what their selling for now a days?
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Winchester model 92 25-20

Post by Terry Murbach »

NO WHERE NEAR ENOUGH INFORMATION TO GIVE YOU A COGENT REPLY. TOSS IN CLEAR---CLEAR !!!---PICTURES ALSO.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Welcome aboard. Need more details on it. Have you shot it any? I paid $600 for one in January 2010. Mine was made in 1919. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

1. No such thing as a "hexagon" barrel. They have 8 sides.....OCTOgon.
2. Log into Gunbroker.com and look at the "completed" auctions that have actually sold. There are rifles that have been listed, for over 5 years, and will continue to go unsold, at the prices asked or because they are a reserve auction. Compare your rifle's condition and configuration to those that have actually sold.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Last time I checked they were moving for about $3 to 5 thou.-----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

That's a heck of a way to treat a Newby, Welcome Dan - as Terry says We need a lot more info and pics. Even then it is a mouse shoot, different areas bring different prices. But We can get U in the ball park. And as Jdad said, check GB and other auctions and see what they have sold for.
Good luck and We wanna see pics irregardless of what U do.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
kevind6
Levergunner

Post by kevind6 »

Condition and originality is everything in appraising old Winchesters.....so market values vary widely. So based on your brief description, who knows?? As was mentioned, we'd all like to see pictures of the old girl to get a better idea of what it's worth.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

pwl44m wrote:That's a heck of a way to treat a Newby
I have a Chevy, what's it worth? :D

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Sixgun wrote:
pwl44m wrote:That's a heck of a way to treat a Newby
I have a Chevy, what's it worth? :D
about 3 to 5 g, now a ford 5 to 7 g,
Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

There has been a ratty 92 @ Cabelas for months....995.00...I wouldn't give half that for it....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Need pix and a much better description of condition on all fronts.

Welcome aboard!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi Dan,
Welcome to the site.
I am in Australia, so what your gun would be worth over here is irrelevant really.
Have to agree with earlier replies that condition is everything in old Winchesters.
I would love to see some pics of yours though.
They are hard to find here in 25-20 as most 1892's that turn up in Australia are in 32-20.
Get that camera out and get snapping and posting.
Pop.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum, Dan. I see you got the natives all stirred up. You gun is worth either more, or less, than you paid for it, depending on condition. And the hex vs octagon thing? Don't worry about it, you ain't the first, and it'd surprise me to all get-out if you're the last to make that error. Besides, what's a flat or two amoung friends. And what do they know anyway, you might have the rarest of all Winchesters, the only one known to have a hexagon barrel. :P :twisted: They ain't seen it right? :lol: :D

Pictures are absolutely a must to give a reasonable estimate. Or, if you'd like, as an alternative, you can ship it to me and I'll wring it out, shoot it some (maybe a lot), take some pics, ship it back you with the pics and range report, which you can then post to get a fair assessment of it's value... that might take awhile, I'm kinda busy... And I'd have to order dies, cases, bullet molds (you want that range report with a variety of bullets, yes), and assemble some loads with both smokeless and black powder for a thorough wringing out and field test. A few hunting trips might also be necessary... oh yea, the cost of which might all be defrayed in the sale of your rifle... or not! :lol: :P :lol:

I'm surprised that "Sixgun" didn't offer that same service, he's usually the 1st to jump at any opportunity to wring out an old Winchester! :lol: Yes, we are an "accomodating" bunch.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: I'm surprised that "Sixgun" didn't offer that same service, he's usually the 1st to jump at any opportunity to wring out an old Winchester! :lol: Yes, we are an "accomodating" bunch.
Your way.....way...way....off base here Griff...... I never jump at the opportunity to "wring it out", I want to OWN it. Here in the East, where Capitalism reigns, you must be one step ahead of the nice people. :D I've got plenty of my own that I've already "wrung out".

"Ya hear that Dan?? Send me a few pics and a price and I'll get a few of these out to 'ya.

Ha! Now that the BS is over with, it really is common sense amongst anyone over about 12 years old to be more descriptive in their questions and explanations. The German in me never did give me an abundance of patience, nor understanding. Don't have much tolerance with Bill Clinton's agenda of the "dumbing down of America".

Anyway, back to Dan and his '92. (he appears to have vanished :D )

Dan, your cool dude, but..............be more open and assertive..........talk.....explain......show emotion, and by Lordy you will fit right in with us misfits, and no, I'm not speaking for myself. :D

But most of all, use a bit of common sense, take some pics, some measurements, a detailed description and we will be happy to accommodate you.
And don't forget, here at Leverguns, not only do we talk, we buy! :D

Ha! And you thought Jay Carney was the "spinmaster" :D

Image---------------Sixgun

twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello Dan,

I will be glad to help you. I am a serious 1892 collector and own 28 of them right now. I also am conducting a research survey on this model line and have looked at, and cataloged over 5000 individual rifles. As others have mentioned I will need to see some detail photos of the rifle and also need the full serial number of the gun. Include shots of both sides of the receiver and barrel and all the stamped writing on the gun. With these I will be able to assess the condition, configuration and originality of the gun and thus the potential value. The range can be from as little as $400 to well into the thousands. If you want you can email the photos directly to me at 2bitrifles@gmail.com

You can read some about these rifles here:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ey#p343093
http://www.winchestercollector.org/foru ... php?t=3460

Looking forward to helping
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

An old 92 should be worth 2/3 the price of a new Rossi 92.... That`s the way it works with cars.
Why not guns??? :?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

DAN ! DAN ! - Come back, Dan ! (as in: Shane !, Shane ! Come ba.......... ;) )

:mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:An old 92 should be worth 2/3 the price of a new Rossi 92.... That`s the way it works with cars.
Why not guns??? :?
Works for me!
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

jdad wrote:1. No such thing as a "hexagon" barrel. They have 8 sides.....OCTOgon.
I have often thought it would be cool to forge a hexagon barrel just to mess with the folks that say "Never".
Welcome Dan.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Gobblerforge wrote:
jdad wrote:1. No such thing as a "hexagon" barrel. They have 8 sides.....OCTOgon.
I have often thought it would be cool to forge a hexagon barrel just to mess with the folks that say "Never".
Welcome Dan.
Gobbler

Ok, a HEXAGON barrel was never used/put on/manufactured by Winchester, to be attached to their "original" Model 1892. :roll: :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.