Info on vintage Weavwer scopes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Info on vintage Weavwer scopes

Post by longarm4146 »

I have a Mode 61 winchester with Wee Weaver M 3-29 scope on it. The gun is from 1936 and was wondering if anyone had info as to age of scope. They both have aged the same and appear to have been a pair for pretty much most of their life. Any help or sources appreciated. When did Weaver cease production in El Paso? BTW this is a 4X rimfire scope with T5 base.
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Info on vintage Weavwer scopes

Post by Old Savage »

Mescalero will know.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Bell Helicopter lured me away in 1979, and memory tells me they lasted for 5 years after I left,
so probably 1984 when they closed.
Your time frame is period correct so your assertion that your equipment were always a pair is also a reasonable assumption.
The old guys that worked there during WWII, told me that they all had excemption from Military service because Weaver made scopes for the war effort.
Your scope should have been made right after the war.
I would look into retiring the scope if it is still in good working order, many of them lived a hard life, or were discarded in search of the latest and greatest in gadgetry.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I've fixed a bunch of older Weavers, a friend of mine in Las Cruces has quite a collection of them. Most fun is re-gluing the lenses on the older ones, only done that a couple times.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

If you know how to take them apart, a lot of things are fixable,
Frank Ruiz use to have our inventory of old parts( and we kept a large inventory for the lifetime warranty) but I have lost track of him.
Talk in the underground he does not do it anymore.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

If you know how to take them apart, a lot of things are fixable,
Frank Ruiz use to have our inventory of old parts( and we kept a large inventory for the lifetime warranty) but I have lost track of him.
Talk in the underground he does not do it anymore.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

If you can locate Nick Stroebel, he might be able to date it for you.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The only thing I know about the old Weaver scopes is that they work. I've had many over the years and while they fogged, the adjustments always were stable. K-4's, K-6's, K-8's and a K-10 have all graced rifles I've had.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Had two rebuilt out of Tulsa, Oklahoma -Iron sites inc I think. Just haven't gotten off my rear and shot with them yet.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

My reading indicates Weaver introduced his line of sturdy reliable low cost hunting scopes at the end of 1933... there were three, all capable of withstanding the recoil of thousands of rounds of 30-06 ammo...The most costly of the three introduced was the 4-40( 4x) next was the3-30 (3x) that turned out to be the most popular of the bunch, a version of it being chosen for sniper use in WWII and lastly another 3x scope and least expensive of the three, the 29-S which I think yours may be, a pic of the whole rig would be good....
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I would like to know the number of kills that scope accounted for.
Might give the VARIABLE at all cost crowd pause to reconsider.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

My favorites are the 1950's vintage (I think they are anyway) that still had the brass lens rings. I've had far more of the later "sealed" scopes apart though, seems the seal wasn't quite as good as they thought. Usual problem with those is specs of rust or just a bit of a nasty film on the lenses.

I can still shoot open sights, for now, so that's what I like still.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The seals issue came from the marketing department, as it was considered good marketing to have
" sealed nitrogen filled scopes " Pure bovine scatology!
The fact of the matter is if the scope was unsealed, it would acclamate to it's environment on it's own accord.
Another myth is the blue/purple colored lenses.
If you can find a scope with 'straw " colored lenses you have indeed found a treasure.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have a '52 K2.5 I bought from Stan in SC. It sits on a M99 250. Nice light and tough scope. Wish it could tell a story or two. Hope you continue to use your scope and pass it down when needed.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Must have been a popular set up back in the day...here's a pic http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =345756091
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY