Interesting Picture, England, WW2

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Interesting Picture, England, WW2

Post by QCI Winchesters »

When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
Hobie

Re: Interesting Picture, England, WW2

Post by Hobie »

QCI Winchesters wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Women ... rifles.jpg

Looks like Model 70's?
M1 Carbines is what I believe the original caption said...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Hobie wrote:
QCI Winchesters wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Women ... rifles.jpg

Looks like Model 70's?
M1 Carbines is what I believe the original caption said...
Would M1 carbines be in boxes like that? I would think they would be in plain boxes.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

They are 94 carbines. You can read the end flap.---------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Lend Lease for Homeguard? Would make sense. A class of rifles/ammo that wouldn't directly impact the War effort but would be quite useful for fending off raiding parties & capturing downed Pilots...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I seem to recall reading about lend/lease models 94s that were marked property of the US that were issue to the Brits.
I captured some still shots from a UK made documentary about WWII a few years ago, and it shows an officer training these Brit gals how to operate a lend/lease Savage model 99. Pretty interesting stuff.

ImageImage
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

At one time I had a Canadian proofed Model 94 SRC.
I wish I'd kept it but was offered a pile of money for it sever years ago.

I early WW II we were sending many different types of firearms to England as they ere very short
on small arms.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have tried without success, to find out what happened to all the guns that came over from the USA. I remember seeing photos in a magazine of crates of all kinds of civilian firearms sent over by American citizens in 1940.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

From what I've read, most of them were dumped in the ocean.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

2ndovc wrote:From what I've read, most of them were dumped in the ocean.

jb 8)
That would not surprise me :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
kevind6
Levergunner

Post by kevind6 »

I recall an auction fairly recently of a Winchester collectors estate sale. One of the items he had was a crate of 10 Winchester 94 SRC's unissued and still with all their original tags and bindings. They were in pristine condition looking like they had just left the Winchester factory the day before. The story had it that that the rifles were part of the lend lease program and were sent to Britain in 1941. They were never used and sent back to the U.S. where they sat in a warehouse until they were rediscovered in the 1960's. If I remember right, that crate of 94's sold for north of $200,000.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Not only were firearms donated by US citizens during those dark days of need , such items as spotting scopes, telescopes and binoculars were provided too for use in air defense..
I have read every effort was made to return lend lease items to their original donors whose contact details remained available....I recently read where a family received a pair of binoculars back after a 60 odd year absence when discovered.....
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

When my Uncles arrived in England in the early war with the Loyal Edmonton Regiment, the Loyal Eddies, they marched in view of the German spotters in France. My favorite Uncle told me they didn't have enough rifles for live fire and marching in formation. They carried broom handles! To quote, the silly buggers didn't have enough of them either!

The war in Europe was won by North American industrial power, merchant mariners and convoy sailors in the north Atlantic, and horrible carnage on the eastern front.

We issued Winchester 94s to our version of the homeguard on the Pacific coast as many know. We had our own Lee Enfield production but every rifle was needed in Europe.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Canuck Bob wrote:When my Uncles arrived in England in the early war with the Loyal Edmonton Regiment, the Loyal Eddies, they marched in view of the German spotters in France. My favorite Uncle told me they didn't have enough rifles for live fire and marching in formation. They carried broom handles! To quote, the silly buggers didn't have enough of them either!

The war in Europe was won by North American industrial power, merchant mariners and convoy sailors in the north Atlantic, and horrible carnage on the eastern front.

We issued Winchester 94s to our version of the homeguard on the Pacific coast as many know. We had our own Lee Enfield production but every rifle was needed in Europe.
The army on our West Coast had brand new Lee-Enfields when lots of our guys overseas had SMLE's. They also wore US M1 helmets while front line soldiers were wearing the old WW1 style Mk. II helmets.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

kevind6 wrote:I recall an auction fairly recently of a Winchester collectors estate sale. One of the items he had was a crate of 10 Winchester 94 SRC's unissued and still with all their original tags and bindings. They were in pristine condition looking like they had just left the Winchester factory the day before. The story had it that that the rifles were part of the lend lease program and were sent to Britain in 1941. They were never used and sent back to the U.S. where they sat in a warehouse until they were rediscovered in the 1960's. If I remember right, that crate of 94's sold for north of $200,000.
James D Julia Auction: March 12th & 13th, 2012. Sold for 218,500.00
44430.jpg
44430x4.jpg
44430x5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

game keeper wrote:I have tried without success, to find out what happened to all the guns that came over from the USA. I remember seeing photos in a magazine of crates of all kinds of civilian firearms sent over by American citizens in 1940.
bottom of the sea
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Griff wrote:
kevind6 wrote:I recall an auction fairly recently of a Winchester collectors estate sale. One of the items he had was a crate of 10 Winchester 94 SRC's unissued and still with all their original tags and bindings. They were in pristine condition looking like they had just left the Winchester factory the day before. The story had it that that the rifles were part of the lend lease program and were sent to Britain in 1941. They were never used and sent back to the U.S. where they sat in a warehouse until they were rediscovered in the 1960's. If I remember right, that crate of 94's sold for north of $200,000.
James D Julia Auction: March 12th & 13th, 2012. Sold for 218,500.00
44430.jpg
44430x4.jpg
44430x5.jpg
Interesting if those are supposed to be L-L from WW2, they are pre-1936 carbines. (???)