S&W Model 4586 ??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

S&W Model 4586 ??

Post by dennie »

Just bought an S&W M4586. It is a DAO with a 4.25" barrel. It looks much like my Colt's Commander but is a little bigger, and a little heavier. It apparently had night sites when new, but they are dead now. All I have done with/to it so far is to shoot 6 different types of .45s thru it. It works perfect with both mags. I had never seen this model before, but really like the way it handles and shoots. Plus, it looks to be nearly new. :) I did not get any paperwork/instructions with it, and I am not finding anything on the web about it. Do any of you know how to field strip it for cleaning, or any other info that would help? Thanks for your time and help.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Re: S&W Model 4586 ??

Post by MrMurphy »

Standard S&W 3rd Gen pistol.

Unload, verify clear.

Retract slide until the squarish notch lines up with the slide release. Push right to left and withdraw it completely from the pistol.

Slide and barrel forward off the frame.

Remove recoil spring and rod (be warned, getting it back on can take a little fiddling).

Drop barrel from slide. Reassemble in reverse order.

Fieldstrips effectively just like a Browning HP or H&K USP.

Decent shooters, never much cared for the ergos but they're accurate.
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

Great pistol. You will find a ton of information at the S&W forum. Smith will either have a manual to download or will send you one with a phone call. When your done shooting it load a mag with the spent shell cases. It will feed them....
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Thanx guys, got'er done! I will check the Smith site later. I cannot figure out what it is about this gun that makes it so easy to carry. It is heavier and bigger than my Combat Commander and Kimber Pro Carry, but does not seem so. It is very smooth and rounded. Because of the over-sized trigger guard it will not fit any of the holsters I own. Gotta work on that. For now I just stick it inside my waist band and go about my business. Hardly know it's there. :)
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

ethang wrote:Great pistol. You will find a ton of information at the S&W forum. Smith will either have a manual to download or will send you one with a phone call. When your done shooting it load a mag with the spent shell cases. It will feed them....
I heard a local 'smith could get a 1911 to do that...think that's really possible?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You can download the Owner's Manual here: http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Sm ... _30_11.pdf

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The 3rd Gen guns were never quite as popular as others, the ergos were so-so (I had a 5946, the DAO 9mm fullsize) but they were good shooters, and reliable. California Highway Patrol still carries the 4006 (full size .40) last I heard.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Those pistols they call 3rd generation S&W semi autos are under rated IMO. Generally they are accurate and reliable out of the box and stay that way. Sure 1911's and Browning Hi Powers and what not can be tuned to out perform them but a stock 3rd gen S&W is as good as any other stock semi auto IMO.

Try these links to see if this is what you need...........

http://stevespages.com/pdf/s&w_pistol.pdf

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Sm ... /PC945.pdf

By the way the first centerfire handgun I ever bought was a S&W 3906.....still have it, still carry it occasionally, and have never regretted it.

Wm.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

very good pistol.....very accurate...
with only one problem....its heavy...

I have its big brother and its pretty easy to field strip...

have fun
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS