Anyone played with a XDs yet??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Anyone played with a XDs yet??

Post by Chris83716 »

Compact .45ACP from Springfield. 5 + 1 capacity, 1" wide...... I'm developing a bad case of I WANT.

Looking for real world experience. Is it shootable or a handful? Looks perfect for CCW.

Chris
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone played with a XDs yet??

Post by Pete44ru »

While I wouldn't have a plastic fantastic, my Son absolutely loves his .40 S&W - an XD-M, IIRC.

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Here's a writeup. http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/0 ... -glock-36/

They mention one key item, for me at least: "The recoil of both pistols seemed manageable, although the Glock was significantly less snappy than the XD-S."

Deal breaker. I cannot believe how nicely a G-36 shoots, and if the XD is more "snappy" then I'm out.

Also: "The Glock trigger was very nice, fairly light, but a little spongy. The trigger of the XD-S was heavier, clickier and more positive in both directions. I preferred the Glock trigger."

As do I. As much as I like how XDs are put together (they're so well made it's incredible), I just can't stand their triggers and they do seem to shoot "snappy". I don't know if it's their choice of recoil springs or a high bore axis or what.

My XD went to the great gun shop in the sky and was replaced by a Springfield M&P. My G-36 went to the same gun shop and has not been replaced, but that's only because I did not enjoy packing it.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i recently bought one, i put 400+ rounds though it during three separate range sessions (mostly Fiocchi 230gr. hardball, 50 rounds of Fiocchi 185gr. HP, and 50 rnds. of Speer Gold-Dot 230gr HP). it is the only handgun that I have owned and shot that beat my thumb senseless...ouch--I adjusted my hold, had others evaluate what I was doing, and still the XDs beat up my hand. the recoil is snappy, for me the gun came back hard against my thumb. I had planned to use it as a BUG, but no go (i should tell you that it is accurate for the size and weight--19oz., some dislike the aggressive texture).

I should mention that I own and shoot a Ruger SP-101 in .357mag (2 1/4" bbl.) and have no issues in shooting 50-100 rnds. of .357 in a sitting; i also have qualified with a Glock 27 in .40S&W w/out any finger extension too. the XDs is a good weapon, well-made--but for me it didn't work. i sold it last week to a buddy who gave me what I paid for it, since they are hard to come by in our part of the earth. just my lousy, cranky, back-east opinion... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Sat May 04, 2013 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

My .02

I love mine. I got rid of my S&W Shield after the XD-S's first range trip. I found it to be waaaaay more accurate, just as controllable, and had better ergonomics. I can find nothing wrong with it. It's a great carry gun. It's not designed to be a range gun. The 7 round mag makes it more comfortable to practice with.

This is the video that got me to buy one. It really is this accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtnDae4P2I8
Last edited by jdad on Fri May 03, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Mike Rintoul bought his over here Wednesday and we put a couple hundred rounds of 230 gr hardball through it. He had 650 rds through it previously without a malfunction. We did not have any problems with harball, Grizzly Extreme and Fed HST Tact. My wife has a Kahr PM9 that she shoots 124 gr Gold Dot out of. She said the XDs was easier to hold on to and had less muzzle rise. She was able to empty the magazine on a 5 yard 12X12 target faster and a bit more accurately with the XDs than with her Kahr PM9. We really dont have a particular use for a 6 round pistol of that size. My STI Shadow is a hair bigger and holds 8 rds of 45 with a flush mag. Our Kahr PM9 and PM40 are quite a bit smaller than the XDs and hold 8 and 6 respectively. We like the XDs. I have seen some nice TruGlo replacement sights that are fibre optic and glow in the dark. The front sight is fully protected in a metal sleeve though - a better arrangement than the factory red fibre optic on the XDs. I do not have a niche for it as I have smaller guns that are easier to put in a pocket or on an ankle. I have same sized and slightly bigger guns with much more capacity. My wife does like the grip better than her Kahr and liked the "pointability" better than our Glocks. BUT - she wants an XDs 9mm - just released and trickling into stores now.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
1894c

Post by 1894c »

jdad wrote:My .02

I love mine. I got rid of my S&W Shield after the XD-S's first range trip. I found it to be waaaaay more accurate, just as controllable, and had better ergonomics. I can find nothing wrong with it. It's a great carry gun. It's not designed to be a range gun. The 7 round mag makes it more comfortable to practice with.

This is the video that got me to buy one. It really is this accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtnDae4P2I8
Jdad-- i have to agree with you on a couple of points:
--I liked the XDs more than my M&P Shield, again for me, and only me, the XDs was not as comfortable as the Shield... :(
--the accuracy is better than the Shield, that video basically coincides with my experience...could hit clays at 15 yds all day...almost.
--and I really liked the grip safety, that was a big selling point, plus the advantage of the .45ACP
--as I stated earlier, it just kept smacking my thumb, that probably has more to do with my hand size, oh well...
--would I recommend the XDs...shoot it first if you can, and if it fits, and you find it comfortable, you'll have a good choice...
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

30wcf wrote:--would I recommend the XDs...shoot it first if you can, and if it fits, and you find it comfortable, you'll have a good choice...
Exactly. They are well made guns, that's for sure.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The XD grip safety has had multiple verified instances of the grip safety disconnecting or 'hiccuping' so that even though a full firing grip was achieved,the gun would not fire. A 1911 it is not.

They're good competition guns, but I've never heard of one surviving a police handgun-issue test. I won't carry one, though I've shot several.