Ammunition racketeering in upstate NY

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Ammunition racketeering in upstate NY

Post by Treeman72 »

There is a local sporting goods chain that has four stores from Oneida to Herkimer. They have been very fair in prices for the most part. Seems like after December everything went up 10 to 25% across the board, and their prices reflect that. $25 for bricks, $45 for 223 100 rounds, $15-22 for most pistol 50 packs, and rifle ammo starting at $16 for 30-30 Federal and on up.

They had a shipping schedule where I could go after work, wait half an hour, and usually get a 22 brick and some 9mm no problem. Well...there were two groups of people following the shipping truck and hitting up all 4 stores for all they were worth. This happened everyday since Sandyhook. Same two groups of guys, everyday for 5 months. These guys made a black market operation out of a fair business chain. Now, the store switched up its shipping schedule to random times. The same guys still follow the truck..but everyone with a job that came at 5:00 to try to grab a little something can't .... all the popular items are already gone.

At least with the old 4:30 shipping time people had a chance. Yesterday for example, the shipment arrived at 1:30 and these guys got there and had 3 hours to buy items, wait for a shift change (there is a three box limit per caliber), and then do it all again. With a shift change comes new faces who were not aware that these gentlemen were already maxed out for purchases. The people who work for a living are SOL.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ammunition racketeering in upstate NY

Post by Mescalero »

May I suggest Ethics for the new milenium by The Dali Lama.
But that would require the perpetrators have to have a consience. :roll:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ethics, a lost art.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

The owner of our local gun shop told me last week that people follow the UPS truck making his deliveries. Ammo purchases are limited to one to two boxes of the highly sought after calibers, unlimited for the others. His prices still are reasonable.

A couple days ago Walmart got in 250 rd half bricks of 22 LR for about $10...very reasonably priced... 100 rd boxes of Winchester 9mm, and Remington 250 rd bulk boxes of 40 S&W for $89. Ammo purchases were limited to 3 boxes. I don't know how many boxes were on the shelf, which is a very important missing fact, but the 22 and 9mm sold out in about 90 minutes; the 40 cal hung around until late afternoon. I was very happy to buy the last 2 40 S&W boxes of 250 rds. :D They were the first bulk boxes of 40 cal Walmart has had in a long time.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Like I said in the other thread, they need to go to a one box limit till those guys give up.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30