Interesting Win M94 Peep Sight Mount

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Interesting Win M94 Peep Sight Mount

Post by Pete44ru »

I ran arcross this somewhat interesting workaround, by a fella with a ca.1948 Winchester 94 he wanted to mount a peep sight on, w/o drilling/tapping the rifle.

The owner's evidently a machinist, because he made replicas of some of the actions screws, but made them longer, so he could attach a brass plate to the LH side of the action, and the receiver peep sight to the plate. (he "aged" the plate synthetically - but cold blue turns brass a black color)

LAH
Levergunner

Re: Interesting Win M94 Peep Sight Mount

Post by LAH »

Interesting for sure.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

That`s one way to get around drilling and tapping for that sight. :?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

VERY nice! ImageImage
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I like it.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

there's more than one way to skin a cat. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Clever :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Now that is interesting. But my money would have gone for a straight d&t for a clean and neat mounting of the sight. But, different strokes...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

My 1963 M1100 shotgun has used the same approach for ages in mounting a scope sight for use with a slug barrel.

My prefered peep sight mount is the one used on a couple of my M94 'Big Bores'. They came factory drilled and tapped for a Williams 'Foolproof' receiver sight. The 4 holes are on top of the sidewalls of the action, two on each side. It is a very neat approach and with the sight removed four screws fill the holes so they are very inconspicuous.

If I could find a gunsmith that could do my other lever actions, including M92 clones, the same way I would have them done. The fully adjustable sight is very useful and I like the fact that it accepts the Merit adjustable iris aperture. For those whose don't want the bulk and weight of a scope but whose eyesight needs some help the combination is outstanding.

Does anyone here know a gunsmith who can be trusted to do such a drill and tap and get it right the first time?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

earlmck wrote:Now that is interesting. But my money would have gone for a straight d&t for a clean and neat mounting of the sight. But, different strokes...

Yes. A D&T of a 1948 gun is acceptable as that's close enough as to when the factory decided to do it anyway. But the idea does open up thoughts as a 1/8" plate doing the same thing along with a Williams side mount would allow one to mount a scope on a real collectable.

That is a job most anyone can do who has a bit of 1/16", 3/32", or 1/8" plate laying around as the screws are easily available.

Idle time is the devils workshop and I have idle time today. I'm gonna go down to the dungeon and mount a 36X Nightforce on the Uzi. :D

Thanks Pete, the horns have come out! :D --------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I like that, gives contrast to the peep so you can see the details of it. I like "old school" work like this. There were handy guys like this everywhere it seemed; in the early 70's.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

very nice...very innovative.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers