SR magnum for .30 Carbine?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

SR magnum for .30 Carbine?

Post by alnitak »

I'll be using 'Lil Gun, 2400 or AA #9 as powder for an Amscor 110 grain FMJ bullet. I know most of the books say SR primer (though apparently Speer says SRM), but I don't have any standard SR primers. I have Federal SRM and Rem 7 1/2. I've also read that people use SP primers as well. I have standard and magnum of them available as well.

Thinking to use the SRM primers at the bottom of the powder range. Would that work OK?

Is there the risk of slam fire in M1s like in ARs? Would that also be a reason to use the thicker walled SRMs instead?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: SR magnum for .30 Carbine?

Post by Mescalero »

never happened to me, been reloading for .30 carbine since I was a teenager; back when we wrote on clay tablets.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Far as I know your magnum primers aren't made of thicker metal -- they have more priming compound, same cup metal. It is the brands that differ in toughness with Remington being a much tougher primer (needs stronger firing pin blow) than most others. That said, I always use a magnum primer with the ball powders, but for 30 Carbine the magnum pistol primer (which I use interchangeably with standard small rifle primers) will get the job done.

So yeah, with what you have on hand I'd use the spm primers as first choice; srm primers with a bit less powder second choice. Rem 7 1/2 if I had any worries about slam fires.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I mentioned the cup thickness after reading about reloading for the .223 and came across this chart:
Rifle primer size.jpg
The author of this chart said in this article:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... s-calhoon/

" (As a note of interest, small pistol primers are .017″ thick and large pistol primers are .020″ thick.)"

So it appears that SP primers don't have the same variation between standard and magnum as do the SR primers.

In this thread:
http://ingunowners.com/forums/ammunitio ... rimer.html

I also came across this..."NOTE 1: According to Speer/CCI Technical Services - Both the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum and CCI 400 Small Rifle primers are identical in size. Both primers use the same cup metal and share the same cup thickness. Both primers use the same primer compound formula and same amount of primer compound. They can be used interchangeably. "

So, it appears I am good to go with the CCI 550 in the .30 carbine reloads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail