Just Wanted to Say Hi

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
steve817
Levergunner 1.0

Just Wanted to Say Hi

Post by steve817 »

I'm new to the forum. Just purchased a shiny new 1892 Winchester .44 mag. I had shot .44 mag pistols before and knew that it was a powerful round. I thought the weight of the rifle would tame that some but judging from the size of the bruise on my arm I thought wrong. That is the bad news. The good news is that my very first shot using Winchester 240 gr soft points was a dead on bulls-eye at 50 yards. The other two in the group I pulled left I'm sure from anticipation of the recoil but they were still within the kill zone.

I have since added a Kick Killer lace up recoil pad and am waiting for the bruising to go down before I take it out again. I'm pretty confident that it will make it more tolerable. I'm now looking at different sight options. I do have a hard time seeing the gold bead on the front sight.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Just Wanted to Say Hi

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire...Nice rifle to START your collection of leverguns.. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcme to THEE best forum on the net. Pull up a stump-chair-log-whatever is handy and sit a spell. Some one will be along to guide You on a sight for Ur weapon. I guess I wll have to shoot Mine to see what all the Fuss is about. :roll: :lol:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Welcome!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Welcome to the best forum on the 'net!

You can't go wrong with a cartridge starting with "4" and a levergun to boot!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum. Yep, the .44Mag in a dandy 'lil carbine like the 1892 is a thumper! :P Out to 100 yards it's probably a bit more thump than the .30-30, but beyond that its energy falls off rather quickly. You learn quickly to keep that stock up, REALLY tight to your shoulder! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome - pics?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Welcome. I actually find that my .44 Trapper seems to kick less than my .30-30. If you really want to tame the beast, load .44mag cases to .44 spl levels. Almost as easy shooting as .38's in a levergun.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can't imagine having just one rifle, but, that 92 of yours could do it if you didn't over-shoot your ability to judge distance. With that puppy, if you can hit it, you can kill it. :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Welcome, You have made a good choice for 150 and and in for deer and bear. I load the 240 gr soft point and have many deer to its credit. A past shield isn;t a bad option either for range shooting I find the 44 has a sharp recoil but never notice it when hunting.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Shoot some light ones to get warmed-up to the gun:
  • 44 Special factory loads of 'cowboy' type will feel like you're shooting 22 LR's out of it
    44 Mag 180 grain factory loads are fairly mild, or
    as others suggested, load some light ones yourself.
You'll grow used to the recoil and quit flinching, but best to get some gun-time with light loads in the meantime.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

That's a real fine start on your leverguns accumulation, steve (more to come I would bet!). And I know what you mean about the gold bead -- those always give me problems if the sun is shining. I used to think the small ivory bead was unbeatable as a replacement, but I bought a rifle that had been fitted with a green fiber-optic front sight and have had to revise my opinion. And if you have a peep sight I'm still not too sure you can beat the old flat-topped post for a front.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Welcome! And yes, .44 mag out of a 92 beats the snot out of me as well! I also agree re. gold beads - they give me trouble.

Just as and FYI if you're not a reloader, they do sell some factory very mild cowboy loads in .44 mag cases. Pretty hard to beat for easy plinking!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Welcome Steve, You'll find the finest group of gentelmen anywhere on the net right here.

FWIW I have several .44's and I find a 260 grain LSWC @ 1100 FPS enough for everything I need. It's a little less than standard factory rounds.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
steve817
Levergunner 1.0

Post by steve817 »

Griff wrote:Image and Welcome to THE Forum. Yep, the .44Mag in a dandy 'lil carbine like the 1892 is a thumper! :P Out to 100 yards it's probably a bit more thump than the .30-30, but beyond that its energy falls off rather quickly. You learn quickly to keep that stock up, REALLY tight to your shoulder! :twisted:
I believe the lesson has already been learned
BlaineG wrote:I can't imagine having just one rifle, but, that 92 of yours could do it if you didn't over-shoot your ability to judge distance. With that puppy, if you can hit it, you can kill it. :D
Oh I have more than one rifle, just one lever gun so far.
EdinCT wrote:Welcome, You have made a good choice for 150 and and in for deer and bear. I load the 240 gr soft point and have many deer to its credit. A past shield isn;t a bad option either for range shooting I find the 44 has a sharp recoil but never notice it when hunting.
Not many bears around here but that is good to know :D
alnitak wrote:Welcome. I actually find that my .44 Trapper seems to kick less than my .30-30. If you really want to tame the beast, load .44mag cases to .44 spl levels. Almost as easy shooting as .38's in a levergun.
I thought about that but wanted to practice with what I would be hunting with, I hoping to go after some hogs pretty soon. I had been taking a Remington 7400 .270 with me but it is really too much gun for the area that I’m hunting in.
Rusty wrote:Welcome Steve, You'll find the finest group of gentelmen anywhere on the net right here.

FWIW I have several .44's and I find a 260 grain LSWC @ 1100 FPS enough for everything I need. It's a little less than standard factory rounds.
Sounds interesting, would you be willing to share your recipe?
steve817
Levergunner 1.0

Post by steve817 »

earlmck wrote:That's a real fine start on your leverguns accumulation, steve (more to come I would bet!). And I know what you mean about the gold bead -- those always give me problems if the sun is shining. I used to think the small ivory bead was unbeatable as a replacement, but I bought a rifle that had been fitted with a green fiber-optic front sight and have had to revise my opinion. And if you have a peep sight I'm still not too sure you can beat the old flat-topped post for a front.
I'm sure the fiber optic would probably be the answer to my problem. However I also don't want to take away from the rustic look of the rifle. What to do what to do? :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

steve817 wrote:...don't want to take away from the rustic look of the rifle. What to do what to do? :lol:
Sight Black.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

And Howdy to you. Another Texanite?

I think everyone here from Texas ought to start their own Leverguns. You could call it "www.22 Levergun.com" as I hear thats the only ammo thats left down there.....and the biggest caliber thats allowed by law...I hear :D

Up here in the North Woods, we start at 75 caliber.

(well, I guess you found out who the "board jerk" is.)-------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

steve817
Levergunner 1.0

Post by steve817 »

Sixgun wrote:And Howdy to you. Another Texanite?

I think everyone here from Texas ought to start their own Leverguns. You could call it "www.22 Levergun.com" as I hear thats the only ammo thats left down there.....and the biggest caliber thats allowed by law...I hear :D

Up here in the North Woods, we start at 75 caliber.

(well, I guess you found out who the "board jerk" is.)-------------------------Sixgun

If there is any .22 LR ammo to be had here I would like to know where it is. That is part of the reason I got a .44, it was a toss up between that and a .45 Colt.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Steve 817,
Some bronze Skinner peep sights dress up my 1895G Marlin .45-70, and improve my aim over factory iron sights. For more braggable 100-150 yard groups using these bespectacled eyes, my next move is to the Leupold VX-2 2-7x33. Good price for the quality, I believe.

Some folks don't like shooting "Specials" (either .38 or .44) in a magnum gun for several reasons: .44 Special brass costs more, debates over cylinder and forcing cone wear, more work cleaning the cylinder, dealing with and sorting two types of brass, reported feeding problems with some "Special" loads in some leverguns, two more adjustments when handloading the same bullet, possibly more issues that don't come to mind.

I prefer using magnum hulls with lighter loads; a bit above safe .44 Special loadings but very tame for sturdier Magnum platforms, causing less wear and tear on your firearms.

My favorite .44 Magnum load, for plinking and target use, could double in a pinch as a self defense load. It is a mild but amazingly accurate Magnum offering. Without a pistol rest, the load performs more accurately than I can aim with iron sights and a bench hold. It should feed well in your Winchester.

Here are some computations with that load using the QuickLoad predictive ballistic software. Note that its prediction for the muzzle velocity of the .44 Magnum handgun load is only 48 fps faster than my average chronographed results - close, indeed.

Load - very safe for .44 Mags in good condition:
Magnus 240 gr. hard cast 701M SWC BB Moly-coated bullet, sized .430, BHN 21
CCI 300 Lg Pistol Primers, COAL 1.610", Unique. 9.0 gr.
Per QuickLoad - 68.4% fill, 100% propellant burnt,
25984 psi per QuickLoad (of 36000 .44 Mag SAAMI Max)

MV Chrono Avg: 1078 fps / 619 ft. lbs. ME (Taylor KO Value 15.9)
QuickLoad prediction: 1126 fps

For 20 inch barrel of your Winchester, QL prediction: 1332 fps MV

Magnus also offers the standard 701 (without the "M"); a non-moly bullet. You can go to their website and view the diagram; it appears to be the classic "Keith" Lyman 429421; or very close to that design. I believe that you could use essentially all of the load info above, possibly only adjusting the COAL, for any supplier's 429421 type bullet; or one that you cast yourself.

This pleasant load might work out for you! (Edited wording for safety's sake)
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Welcome to the forum.It is a GREAT place to be !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

Welcome to the fire Steve!
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
steve817
Levergunner 1.0

Post by steve817 »

COSteve wrote:Welcome!

Sorry I'm a little slow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lookin' GOOD!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

steve817 wrote:Sorry I'm a little slow.
Hey it may have taken seven months, but it's a really really nice picture... :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting it. Now you just need to get a Marlin 1894 and a Ruger 96/44 to keep it company... 8)

P.S. - looking at the picture of my 96/44 got me thinking - the rubber stock-extension and/or recoil-pad on it is the same one many people put on their 10/22 carbine to lengthen the pull from 'kid' to 'adult', and it also fits the Mini-14's. I put it on my 44 Mag not so much for recoil (as I mostly use that gun for dawn and dusk hunting during cold-weather [heavy coat] 'gun season' for deer), but it keeps the butt from sliding on the slick floor in the hallway when I come inside (not as big a deal if a 10/22 or Mini-14 does that, but my Ruger 96 is 'My Precious' :wink: ). Anyhow, I think a couple of years ago I was toying with the idea of putting that pad on a Rossi 92 for some reason, and found it basically fit almost perfectly ('minor fitting required'). It might fit a Winchester 92, then, maybe...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/425407 ... bber-black
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "