Load Development AT the Range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Load Development AT the Range

Post by Griff »

The February edition of the Shooting Sports USA on-line magazine has a great article on the equipment needed for reloading at the range. I find this to be really beneficial for load development. I usually have all my brass sized and primed with case mouths belled before I go. Simple to adjust measure and seat a bullet. Immediate feedback. Now all I need is a Chrony™! And I'd know what I was doing! :P

Take it To The Range

Subscribe today. The back of the magazine lists all NRA sanctioned matches across the country. If your club holds one that isn't listed, get it listed. You're probably missing out on some potential participants. Oh, Wait! Maybe the competition would be too tough if others knew? :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Load Development AT the Range

Post by sore shoulder »

Nice article, really like the powder measure, I'm going to look into those. Some of that range reloading could be applied to folks reloading in small apts or homes or even while traveling. Good stuff.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nice article. Actually several nice ones in that link; I liked the Eley range where you can test your specific firearm (or I guess maybe just the barrel...?) with different lots of their ammo and see which one mates best with it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

A hand press, electronic scale and a couple dippers are much more compact.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

And if you don't have and don't want to invest in newer stuff, you can use an old-fashioned powder scale if you do it inside your vehicle (just the least little breeze will drive you nuts trying to use the old scale outdoors).
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

When I shot my Winchester Schuetzen .32-40, I often loaded at the range. Fired one hull, then de-capped, primed, etc. Then fired again. Sometimes, I would load 5 rounds.

Slow and relaxing manner to shoot as long as the range was not crowded or busy. Otherwise way too many questions about the "funny looking" rifle and the obsolete claiber as well as "what are you doing?".

Utilized the old Pope-style re- and de-capper clone and breech seated. Had a portable Lee Precision (?? or was it a Lyman ??) hand held press mounted to a board when not breech seating. Don’t know if it is available anymore.

Powder measure was the ubiquitous Lyman #55 and checked on a RCBS 10-10 scale.

Scale and powder tickler sat in a shop-fabricated a box for transport. The box lid slid off and a Plexiglas lid slid on to see the pointer and protect the scale from wind.

Not really a new or novel way to load and shoot as the practice was common during the hay-day of Schuetzen shooting….

Harrel's Culver-style powder measures are the cat's meow and very accurate. But then again, you get what you pay for....

http://www.harrellsprec.com/
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.