Tortillas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Tortillas

Post by JNG »

I guess this would be in the pass not a topic with this site, but I'm not not on a more then a 1 or 2 forums so this is it. It seems a slew of folks are from the S.W. I love tortillas made from corn meal, so I got me a press and a bag of Quaker Maza mix. Did some reading on the net and was ready to give it a shot. Well, tasted good, but it fell apart when I browned them. I figured that it was too thick and so I fubared the operation. I'll try again, do any of you folks have a great way to make the Bride happy?

Thanks
Joe
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tortillas

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

NOT ME!! I love to eat em but don`t know beans about makin em.

BUMP ! :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Nope but I'm watching with anticipation of learning something
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Tortillas cannot be made in OH.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2571 wrote:Tortillas cannot be made in OH.
That's fair...Football can't be played in MI :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

Good luck! A fresh, or storebought, flour tortilla is all the same to me. The one time I had a fresh CORN torilla, I swore off storebought ever again. :lol:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

try looking on youtube for some video instructions.

are you sure you got the right kind of mix? they make a mix for making tamales too. I don't know the difference myself other than I know there are different products.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Since the only Spanish I know is "Adios, Mother*****r", my idea of making a tortilla (successfully, I might add) consists of buying some from a local bogeda, and toasting them on a flat CI griddle atop my gas stove burner. :mrgreen:

I usually have one, every-other morning, enwrapping a scrambled egg, onions, etc, topped with salsa - aka: a breakfast burrito.

JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Yeah, I guess I'll go to uttube, but I have found that it is hit and miss. I still can not believe that no folks have a clue on making
tortillas. First time in my life I'm number 1.. I will pass info to all when I learn.. Also, If you tasted flour compared to corn, well sir you will be in a treat.

Thanks,

Joe
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Tortillas cannot be made in OH.

ahhh....yes they can. But I'm originally from KY, stuck up here for awhile so maybe that's that difference.

They fell apart because they were (maybe) too thick but also too dry.

Go here for a really good description on how to "roll your own".

http://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/2012/1 ... hacer.html

This website is doing the flour ones, but for corn flour masa, it's the same deal.

Go fresh and you're spoiled.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

wecsoger wrote:Tortillas cannot be made in OH.

They fell apart because they were (maybe) too thick but also too dry.
+1 In addition, corn tortillas really benefit from the use of a tortilla press. Helps get them thin enough....

Wife says you need to use Masa Harina. Not sure where you find that in Ohio, but I have never heard of the Quaker stuff......

Usually 2 cups of Masa Harina and 1 1/4 +/- cups of warm water for your dough.

Came across this recipe by Rick Bayless. Good luck!

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=266
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Pete44ru wrote:Since the only Spanish I know is "Adios, Mother*****r", my idea of making a tortilla (successfully, I might add) consists of buying some from a local bogeda, and toasting them on a flat CI griddle atop my gas stove burner. :mrgreen:

I usually have one, every-other morning, enwrapping a scrambled egg, onions, etc, topped with salsa - aka: a breakfast burrito.

I think "Mother*****r" is a German word.

Means the same thing as "Obama" in Kenyan.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

There used to be a Restaraunt in Matamoras (I think thats the border town to Brownsvile) called the "El Jardin". Two Women stood at a big griddle Patting out corn Tortillas by hand. The Waiter kept You supplied as many as U could eat, with Ur meal of course. They were the Best I have ever eaten Bar None.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mex food where the Mexicans eat....perfect flour or corn tortillas....

http://www.yelp.com/biz/vuelve-a-la-vida-tacoma

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

JNG wrote:Yeah, I guess I'll go to uttube, but I have found that it is hit and miss. I still can not believe that no folks have a clue on making
tortillas. First time in my life I'm number 1.. I will pass info to all when I learn.. Also, If you tasted flour compared to corn, well sir you will be in a treat.

Thanks,

Joe
And if you tasted potato instead of corn or flour, you'd be having lefse!

Now THAT is a treat. :wink:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

[/quote]I think "Mother*****r" is a German word.
Means the same thing as "Obama" in Kenyan. :idea:[/quote]

Amazing how folk can force their personal opinions into a post that has nothing to do with politics.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

2571 wrote:I think "Mother*****r" is a German word.
Means the same thing as "Obama" in Kenyan. :idea

Amazing how folk can force their personal opinions into a post that has nothing to do with politics.
'specially the self-appointed thread police, or S-ATP

just sayin'
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I have to check the Rick Bayless link but I've no doubt it's good. Seriously, folks have been turning these out for a couple centuries and baking them on rocks. Much easier to do with modern implements.

In addition, corn tortillas really benefit from the use of a tortilla press. Helps get them thin enough....

I've got my eye on one of these. Trying to figure out how to get it in the house since the wife may shoot me if I drag in another piece of cast iron. Still, it's calling my name.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

nice, is that a cooking press? is the tortilla cooked in it, or just flattened?
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

It's just for smashing the little buggers flat. :lol:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

It's for squishing them out. Works lot better than a rolling pin.

Get a plastic bag, freezer bag or whatever, cut off sides and top, leave bottom as a 'hinge'

Put your corn or flour ball down in between the plastic and the whole assembly inside the press. Squish. Rotate 90 degrees. Squish again. Open bag, peel off. Throw on griddle.

Flip, pull off, enjoy.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

2571 wrote:
I think "Mother*****r" is a German word.
Means the same thing as "Obama" in Kenyan. :idea:
Any opportunity to enlighten the unwashed.

Like your buddy Rahm (almost) sez: "Can't let a good thread go to waste".

:lol:

Incidentally, I prefer flour tortillas.

Don't know why, but corn tortillas always taste like soap to me. Must be lye they use on the corn.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
cfplinker
Levergunner

Post by cfplinker »

That is a nice looking press. I've found that you have to get them both flat and thin. The thinner the better. I made a press from pieces of 1x10 lumber based on pictures that I found on the 'net. It works fine but doesn't look near as nice as the one above.

You just flatten them with the press. When I tried to roll them out using either a rolling pin or a piece of dowel they looked like a map of either Texas or California. They never came out round. Starting with a flattened sphere of dough between two pieces of plastic wrap in the press and they come out fairly round. If they are too thick, you can't roll them up after you have fried them on your grill. And we know you have to roll them up for burritos (flour tortillas) or enchiladas (corn tortillas).
Shoot safely, shoot well, and shoot often.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Most of the tortilla presses I see around here are made of aluminum.

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Aluminum? Heresy! He's a witch! Burn him, burn him!

Same company make's 'em in aluminum too. I don't know for the stresses involved there's a whits bit of difference.

Hadn't thought about rolling my own in wood. Think I'll investigate that.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

most of the tortilla presses I've seen involve two small hands clapping...
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Grizz wrote:most of the tortilla presses I've seen involve two small hands clapping...
And one plump thigh, some things are best left to the fairer sex.

-- J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

cfplinker wrote:have fried them on your grill. And we know you have to roll them up for burritos (flour tortillas) or enchiladas (corn tortillas).
To me the best enchiladas are made flat like pancakes, with the sauce, meat and cheese in layer's between the corn tortilla's and one or two fried egg's on top.

--J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

J35nut wrote:
Grizz wrote:most of the tortilla presses I've seen involve two small hands clapping...

-- J
I thought that was Cuban cigars!? :lol: I'm eating in the wrong places..... :wink:

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizzly Adams wrote:
J35nut wrote:

-- J
I thought that was Cuban cigars!? :lol: I'm eating in the wrong places..... :wink:
This one lady in El Paso pressed them in her armpits....tasted good, if you watched out for hairs.... :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

BlaineG wrote:
Grizzly Adams wrote:
J35nut wrote:

-- J
This one lady in El Paso pressed them in her armpits....tasted good, if you watched out for hairs.... :idea:
I heard of a place in Denver that made patties for their burgers using the same method.

Turned out that the Public Health inspectors were not quite as amused as the kitchen staff was.

:lol:

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I heard the burgers weren't half as bad as the donuts.

GSRASHER
Levergunner

Post by GSRASHER »

Incidentally, I prefer flour tortillas.

Don't know why, but corn tortillas always taste like soap to me. Must be lye they use on the corn.
That's because you have been using that lye soap again. Lye is used to soak the corn to remove the outer part
of the kernal.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Back in the early 80's, I contracted to do the finish work on a 120 houses scattered all across the reservations in S AZ, there would be 6 or 7 houses in one little village and a few more at another and so on.

Me and my crew would camp out at ea village until the work was done and move on to the next, come home Sat. night and head back out Mon. morning.

These ladies in the villages would make it a social occasion when they made their tortilla's , they would have a large piece of sheet steel propped up on rocks with mesquite wood burning under it and ea one would have a plate or pan with the dough on it, they would pinch off a small piece of dough work it in there hands a little then plop down onto there thigh and then peel it off and onto the hot steel.

Another interesting thing was ea village would have a bootlegger, only qt bottles of beer.

Have fun--J