Replacing Trapper sights with Williams FP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Replacing Trapper sights with Williams FP

Post by alnitak »

Well, after having the peep sight for a couple of years, I finally got around to installing it and replacing the sights on my '94 Trapper AE. The rear sight was a breeze. My question concerns the front sight. The model Williams FP-94SE comes with a red fire sight front sight. However, it appears that it won't install because it a little longer than the factory sight and the front barrel band will interfere with its installation. Has anyone installed this sight and what do I need to do to make it work?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Replacing Trapper sights with Williams FP

Post by J Miller »

Somewhere, and it might have been here, I read of a person doing what you are contemplating. He solved the problem by undercutting the bottom of the rear end of the sight to clear the barrel band.

On my 94AE Trapper I just left the factory front sight on it .... more or less.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
1894c

Post by 1894c »

J Miller wrote:Somewhere, and it might have been here, I read of a person doing what you are contemplating. He solved the problem by undercutting the bottom of the rear end of the sight to clear the barrel band.

On my 94AE Trapper I just left the factory front sight on it .... more or less.

Joe
i did the same thing with my Trapper 94AE, left the original front-sight...worked good... :)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The original front sight on my trapper ae 30wcf was too low! I welded a blob on it and reshaped it to raise it some eventually. Before that the Williams FP would be as low as it could be but the rifle shot a litttle high.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sounds like a simple hand-file and maybe bottle of Birchwood-Casey 'touchup blue' would do the job in under an hour.

If the sight height isn't an issue, though, you might see how you like the Williams FP without replacing the front sight; it may still be so much better than the original 'open' sight that you'll be happy.

On Marlins, with their nice little gold-bead front sight, I usually keep the front and only update the rear. On Rossi's, with their wide 'Patridge' blade, I usuallyl either replace it with a Firesight, or "make my own" - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=21648

If you don't mind taking the "risk" [ :roll: ] of altering your 'factory' front sight, and the height is already ok, just do what I did. . . took all of 20 minutes and careful use of a Dremel tool and file. The fiber-optic stuff was a few bucks from MidwayUSA or somewheres.

See this link - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=21648

Sorry the pictures aren't that great, but you can see what I did fairly well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nath wrote:The original front sight on my trapper ae 30wcf was too low! I welded a blob on it and reshaped it to raise it some eventually. Before that the Williams FP would be as low as it could be but the rifle shot a litttle high.
Dunno if I posted about it, but I had an AMT clone of a Ruger Mark-II that needed a higher front sight, so I sweated a hollow 'roll-pin' of about 1/8" diameter onto it, filed it to be smooth, and it makes an excellent front sight now. In dim light I use it as a 'post' front sight, but for precision, I actually aim through the hole in the roll-pin, and that pistol is a tack-driver.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The front sight on my 94AE Trapper was tall enough, but it tilted enough to bug me. So since it was welded to the barrel I cut down the sides of the blade with my Dremel using the metal cutting disks then pushed the blade up straight and silver soldered it. Looks a lot better when I'm shooting it. :D
I actually did a picture thread about it here, but it lost the link when my last HD died.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Nath wrote:The original front sight on my trapper ae 30wcf was too low! I welded a blob on it and reshaped it to raise it some eventually. Before that the Williams FP would be as low as it could be but the rifle shot a little high.
N.
Nath, I'm actually concerned I'll have the opposite problem. The fire sight sits a bit lower than the factory sight (which was good for me with the standard open sights). Not sure if there will be enough adjustment in the peep for the lower Williams firesight (though one would think they would be a matched set designed to work together).
Last edited by alnitak on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

AJMD429 wrote:If the sight height isn't an issue, though, you might see how you like the Williams FP without replacing the front sight; it may still be so much better than the original 'open' sight that you'll be happy.

If you don't mind taking the "risk" [ :roll: ] of altering your 'factory' front sight, and the height is already ok, just do what I did. . . took all of 20 minutes and careful use of a Dremel tool and file. The fiber-optic stuff was a few bucks from MidwayUSA or somewheres.
Yeah AJ, I think I'll just try the factory front sight for a bit and see how it works out. That should give me a feel for the height I need as well. I certainly don't trust my mechanical abilities enough to Dremel the factory sight. However, i assume I can buy different height sights from Williams, etc. if the one that came in the package is too low.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

J Miller wrote:Somewhere, and it might have been here, I read of a person doing what you are contemplating. He solved the problem by undercutting the bottom of the rear end of the sight to clear the barrel band.
Thanks Joe. That may be an option...I have the router attachment for the Dremel and maybe I can come in from the bottom front and take off a little bit (no pun intended).
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

alnitak wrote:
Thanks Joe. That may be an option...I have the router attachment for the Dremel and maybe I can come in from the bottom front and take off a little bit (no pun intended).
That's what I've done.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Have you shot it as is?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Hobie wrote:Have you shot it as is?
No Hobie, I have not shot it with the replaced rear sight and factory front sight. That's the next step. However, it would be nice to use the fire sight if I could for low light hunting.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I see what your doing but I don't see those firesights so well, good light or low light. I might have an extra front/firesight if you muck that one up.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

A lot of times with replacement sights you have to fit them to miss the barrel band.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

It appears that the FP front sight is intended for a ramped sight, which is why it has a lower profile. Yet, the 5D front sight is made for a barrel dovetail. I think I will try to see if Williams will switch the FP for the 5D sight. They also have an add-on dovetail base that increases the height of the sight. That may get it above the barrel band and make it similar to the factory sight. For now, I'm going to just use the factory sight, as several of you have suggested.

On a related topic, I went to Midway for a dovetail filler for the rear sight. It's on sale for $3.99...but they want $5 for shipping and another $3 for a special handling fee!! What the heck?? Geez, put it in an envelope and stick a $.45 stamp on it!! What a rip off!! Special handling fee for a $3 part...what gives?!?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Why not simply file up a slot filler from the dovetail section of an old longleaf rear barrel sight ? :mrgreen:

Image Image