"Red dots" on vintage Winchester leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

"Red dots" on vintage Winchester leverguns

Post by guntar »

Has any one had any experience mounting one of the new small "red dot" sights on a Winchester (M64, M94, M71, or M86) without putting any new holes in the receiver? My eyes aren't getting any better, and even the aperture sights are getting hard to use, but I don't want to D&T any holes in my rifles. I already have the rifles, so telling me I should have bought another brand/model isn't an option. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: "Red dots" on vintage Winchester leverguns

Post by AJMD429 »

There are side-mounts like the B-Square that work well, plus you can mount a small one like a Burris Fastfire-II in the rear sight dovetail.

Here's what I use on a 92, and you could do the same for a 94...

(Mount has both a Burris Fastfire-II and a LaserMax pistol laser, since I sometimes use the gun in poor light conditions or even at night.)

It isn't 'centered' but works just fine for me; I sighted the gun in for 50 yards and the bullet impact about 1" to the right of the dot the whole way out.

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

AJMD429 wrote:
It isn't 'centered' but works just fine for me; I sighted the gun in for 50 yards and the bullet impact about 1" to the right of the dot the whole way out.
DId you have any trouble aligning that sight? I got one for my rossi 92 and found it was not aligned to the barrel very well. I had to turn one of the rings around and grind about an 8th of an inch off the rail to get it aligned enough to correct with the knobs.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

For anything from a .357 on up in power, impacting within 1 inch of the dot should still work fine. That setup looks like it would be great for suburban or country duty.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Here's mine, I made it, but haven't even shot the rifle with it on there yet. I had shoulder surgery right after I got it done. I hope to fire off a few in the next few weeks, as I heal enough to do so. It was my left shoulder, but I will still have to shoot RH, to be safe.

Here's the link to to thread. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=44106

Back OT, I had a side scope mount on it but since I normally shoot left handed, and the scope was mounted on the left side. I did not like the cross shooting idea, since as ranges change so did the point of impact from side to side.

I, also, did not want to drill any holes in the front of the receiver or the side, so this uses all existing holes. If I had it to do over, I would make it thicker and more shaped to the receiver, where it transitions from the side to the top.
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

handirifle wrote:Here's mine, I made it, but haven't even shot the rifle with it on there yet. I had shoulder surgery right after I got it done. I hope to fire off a few in the next few weeks, as I heal enough to do so. It was my left shoulder, but I will still have to shoot RH, to be safe.

Here's the link to to thread. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=44106

Back OT, I had a side scope mount on it but since I normally shoot left handed, and the scope was mounted on the left side. I did not like the cross shooting idea, since as ranges change so did the point of impact from side to side.

I, also, did not want to drill any holes in the front of the receiver or the side, so this uses all existing holes. If I had it to do over, I would make it thicker and more shaped to the receiver, where it transitions from the side to the top.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FatJackDurham wrote:DId you have any trouble aligning that sight? I got one for my rossi 92 and found it was not aligned to the barrel very well. I had to turn one of the rings around and grind about an 8th of an inch off the rail to get it aligned enough to correct with the knobs.
I'd not be surprised if the barrel and receiver were not perfectly parallel; I've seen that with several Marlins and Rossi's over the years. So even if the mount is perfectly aligned with the receiver, you'll be off the barrel-axis and line of sight.

If you want to use that style mount on the same gun only, you could have filed/planed the flat surface that goes up against the receiver, to adjust left/right aim. A 'set-screw' could be installed towards the same purpose, but would mar the receiver.

Fortunately, the Rossi 92 gun(s) I've used my two B-Square mounts on have been well enough aligned to easily sight-in. The Bushnell Holosight is probably more forgiving than most optical scopes, as well, in terms of how far 'off center' you can adjust it.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I believe turnbull has mounts for the 94&86 models uses the 2 holes that you would mount a lyman or williams receiver peep. danny

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/catalog.asp? ... prevnext=1
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Now that's a cool idea if the gun has those two holes already (do all 94's have them?).

Seems like they'd have rounded the edges a bit though, and even considered thinner steel.

Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

BigSky56 wrote:I believe turnbull has mounts for the 94&86 models uses the 2 holes that you would mount a lyman or williams receiver peep. danny

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/catalog.asp? ... prevnext=1
I have been eyeing up this for a while for my Rossi 92.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

AJ they make them out of aluminum if I get one I would profile the edge then throw some color on it. if a person had a drill press and a cross slide vise (poor boy milling) you could make one. danny
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Wish I could use the b-square mounts. I guess the 464 just isn't drilled quite the same way. :(

I don't think that's gonna work, huh?
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.