women shooters; non-levergun topic

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Senior Levergunner

women shooters; non-levergun topic

Post by 2571 »

My daughter (24) had to take a state required gun class today to qualify for her ccw l icense.

As you might expect she was one of 100 people in the class, 1 of 3 women and the youngest person there. As you might further expect, instructors were demeaning to her at every opportunity.

My daughter took the live fire instruction with a 1911. She did well except two different insructors pulled the electric targets in to about 10 feet from her anticipating she would get discouraged by missing every shot. She suggested that was unneccessary and asked them to return the targets to 35'

Instructor asked if she ever held a gun before or if anybody in her family knew anything about pistols.

Passing with spare points, my daughter replied, "This gun was at Belleau Woods with my great grandfather, at Bataan with his son; and with my mother at the Siege of Hue. I've shot it many times." Guy, who has probably never heard a shot fired in anger, just walked away.

Doesn't it seem folk are more tolerant of female shooters here on this forum than others? Is that because of our average age here or our interest in the history of leverguns?
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Re: women shooters; non-levergun topic

Post by alnitak »

Great response by your daughter!!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Same thing if she goes in to buy auto parts, even a windshield wiper.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

90% of the people I see trying to sell guns or teach shooting are condescending to women, and about 75% of them aren't all that safe with the guns I watch them handle. Maybe I just go to the wrong places...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

El Chivo wrote:Same thing if she goes in to buy auto parts, even a windshield wiper.

Amen.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

AJMD429 wrote:90% of the people I see trying to sell guns or teach shooting are condescending to women, and about 75% of them aren't all that safe with the guns I watch them handle. Maybe I just go to the wrong places...
You & I must frequent the same lgs. Let's meet & have coffee someday. lol
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've seen this demeaning attitude towards women many times over the years. It never seems to end. Some men still do not believe women are capable of doing things. I wonder sometimes where they've had their head stuck all their lives.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Sorry to hear the instructor was such a small minded idiot to your daughter. Mine (25) took her CCW class last month, on her own volition, using the Glock 19 I gave her for her birthday a few years ago. Thankfully it was a small class and the instructor, by her account, was a complete professional and gentleman. When my wife took her class, I went with her, fearing what happened to your daughter. the instructor allowed me to sit through the class since I already had my CCW and to instruct my wife during the shooting portion and pretty much left us alone.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Women are brill (short for brilliant). What they can not do ain't worth doin'.

My mrs can show me a thing or two in most fields, a true compliment.

There are no more dumb women than there is men but one thing is certain, they sure are better to squeeze :D

Congrats to your daughter 8)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Nath wrote:Women are brill (short for brilliant). What they can not do ain't worth doin'.
Ain't that the truth...speaking about what women can do, check this out!

This woman has more guts than a sausage factory. Take a look at this film. Fabulous footage, although grainy due to time and bad equipment in those days compared to today, but what nerve this gal had.

Gladys Ingles was a member of a barnstorming troupe called the 13 Black Cats in the 1920's. Ingles was a wing walker; in this film, she shows her fearlessness in classic barnstorming fashion to save an airplane that has lost one of its main landing gear wheels.

Ingles is shown with a replacement wheel being strapped to her back and then off she goes as "Up She Goes," a duet from the era, provides the soundtrack. In the film, Ingles transfers herself from the rescue plane to the one missing the main landing gear tire.

She then expertly works herself down to the undercarriage only a few feet from a spinning propeller. It's certainly a feat many mechanics wouldn't even try on the ground with the engine running.

She died at age 82. Click on the link below.......

http://www.flixxy.com/mid-air-airplane-repair.htm
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Kudos to your daughter for putting him in his place!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Decades ago, I had left the line for one thing or another, and some old fool walked over, and seeing my wife alone, suggested she have someone show her how to shoot, "because it was just too dangerous for a young woman to do alone". Apparently the range officer, who knew my wife walked over and congratulated her on the target sitting on the bench. I forget how many rounds, but from her little 2" .38 they were all in the black. The old fanny burp just wandered away mumbling to himself. I wish I had been there to see it.

Yep, "Ramboina" ( a nickname she picked up at the club when she showed up with one of the first lasers hung from the trigger guard of her little Taurus 85) was younger and a bit more polite. Today, anyone trying that would run, not walk, away like a scalded cat when she got done with them.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The way that instructor treated your daughter is just plain contemptible. There is a woman in our shooting club who can probably outshoot any of the almost 200 men in our club. She is one of the top female shooters in Canada from what I've been told. We need all the women in the shooting sports we can get. My two daughters took their firearms course at our club and the instructor was great.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The only thing I don't like about females who shoot, is they usually outshoot me!..... :lol:

I'm glad your daughter put that fool in his place. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

alnitak wrote:Great response by your daughter!!
+1. Unfortunately, some men still haven't progressed beyond the "ape" stage. And that might be giving them too much credit.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Most women I've shot with were either very good, or very good learners. One outshot me with my own Colt Combat Commander, it was the first time she'd ever shot a gun. I just explained how to use the sights, the slow trigger squeeze, and breath control.

A friend years ago, former wife of an aquaintance, ended up with a 380 auto out of the divorce. She had been shooting a 1911. After her experiences in the gun shops looking for a 1911 and wanted to trade off the 380, I took her 380 and sold it, and found her a nice 1911. She hadnt been shooting in several years, I took her out a couple times, she was quite good very quickly. I really wished I could have worked with her some, getting her in some action shoots, just to see the looks on the macho guys faces when she cleaned their clocks, which she was quite capable of.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Every female I have ever taught was a good student,
they had no pre concieved notions, so they listened.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

2571, sounds to me ya'll did a fine job bringing up that girl.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Women pay attention well and if they have good instruction learn quickly. My daughter-in-law had never shot a pistol before but always wanted to do it. We started with the .22, taught her sight alignment and trigger control and she is an excellent shot. She's not wild about 1911's(neither am I)but her favorite gun is my Lipsey's Ruger .45 convertible. With it or my K-38 she averages 4-5 hits usually and has gone 6 for 6 on my 3" swinger at 25 yds!
My pet peeve with men at the range is give some unsuspecting woman a .357/.44mag for her first shot and really rattle them. Really pi**es me off.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

guys,

don't make my daughter mad if she has her .40 s&w in reach. You can't run fast enough. She's way above average with her front stuffer, also.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

rimrock'
That's the way it is supposed to be.
Good job.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Took my CCW class with my mother. They were very nice to her and when she wasn't doing well with
Grandpa's old Colt Official Police they gave her a .22lr to finish the class with.
She now has a Bersa .380 that she shoots very well and asked me to find her a 410 to go with it.
:D She'll be 70 next year!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:lol:
How cool is that!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

2571 wrote:My daughter (24) had to take a state required gun class today to qualify for her ccw l icense.

As you might expect she was one of 100 people in the class, 1 of 3 women and the youngest person there. As you might further expect, instructors were demeaning to her at every opportunity.

My daughter took the live fire instruction with a 1911. She did well except two different insructors pulled the electric targets in to about 10 feet from her anticipating she would get discouraged by missing every shot. She suggested that was unneccessary and asked them to return the targets to 35'

Instructor asked if she ever held a gun before or if anybody in her family knew anything about pistols.

Passing with spare points, my daughter replied, "This gun was at Belleau Woods with my great grandfather, at Bataan with his son; and with my mother at the Siege of Hue. I've shot it many times." Guy, who has probably never heard a shot fired in anger, just walkede 8) :oesn't it seem folk are more tolerant of female shooters here on this forum than others? Is that because of our average age here or our interest in the history of leverguns?
97% of the people on this forum are from a differeent leauge 8)
Last edited by tman on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I gave my daughter her first pistol this year for her 22nd birthday. She plans to attend a CCW course with it as well. She never showed much interest in shooting until she was older. I still worry a little of her gun handling skills, however, she should score at least 90% if she shoots her typical score.
I plan to find a CCW class that is instructed for females by a female. IMO, it is nothing that they do wrong but some guys are just JERKS and feel the need to be dominate and overbearing!

CONGRATULATIONS, sounds like you and your wife have trained her well!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
gcburt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gcburt »

J Miller wrote:I've seen this demeaning attitude towards women many times over the years. It never seems to end. Some men still do not believe women are capable of doing things. I wonder sometimes where they've had their head stuck all their lives. Joe
I really saw it in the military.

HOEVER: The best three sergeants I ever had work for me were all female. One of my best commanders was a female Major.

I can attest that female's are very capable at doing whatever thing they have their hearts set upon!!
CW5 Retired, Master Army Aviator and MTFE (1970-2005).
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Good for your daughter

never under estimate a Woman! My wife can make a steer out of a bull, shoot a deer, fall timber &
cut a log out of it, or cut & split fire wood with the best of em, drive a truck & cuss some( at times)
all that & still be a woman to me

ollogger
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I grew up in rural N.M.
I know them women.
The best there is.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

It's a rare occurrence when I meet a woman I can't tolerate. With men, it's the rare occurrence when I meet one that I can tolerate. Is it any wonder I enjoy spending time at Hooters or Twin Peaks. :D
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

No good NCO ever treats a female soldier any differently than any other soldier but a good NCO knows how to lead every individual soldier. I never had a problem instructing women. MOST women have the fine motor skills and eyesight to out shoot males, some clearly are more willing to kill than other soldiers. While we treat every customer at the shop with respect (and you have to know that there are ALL kinds who shoot), we do not have many female members at our club. I think they just come as their husbands' guest and that suffices.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I believe it was Gordon Liddy who was discussing in his book that women are inherently better shots than men. It has to do with heartbeat, perhaps lower metabolism, that makes them steadier.

I have also heard that many men have stopped taking their wives and girlfriends hunting because they get all the game. Maybe they just smell better.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One of my cousins, Patricia (goes by Pat as you would expect) is the best pistol shot I have ever seen. With her .38 S&W there isn't anything she misses. With her bow she shoots at 9 inch circles of cardboard thrown in the air. The only target she shoots at with her bow that isn't moving is the mouth of a plastic pop bottle. She likes to put an arrow into the mouth of a plastic pop bottle from 15 yards. I can't even come close. Then there is my daughter, Sighthunter, who shoots her Mother's 30-06 and loves it. You can ask 86er or RKrodle if Sighthunter is accurate. They have seen her shoot. She is not afraid of shooting heavy kicking guns either. She shoots my Guide Gun at the range, and has fired my SRH in .480 Ruger. PillHer likes to shoot, but she is sort of casual about her marksmanship. If she gets it in the 9 ring, she is just fine with that. She only gets interested with her 30-06 or her SP101 in .327 Federal. With those 2, she insists on trying to fit all shots into 1 hole, which she very nearly does.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

game keeper wrote:The only thing I don't like about females who shoot, is they usually outshoot me!..... :lol:

I'm glad your daughter put that fool in his place. :wink:

+1 on BOTH counts! Women I have instructed have taken the instruction better than the vast majority of men I have dealt with. Women put up with a lot of stuff from people of all walks, and it's amazing. i am a retired Air Traffic controller, and with almost 27 years of controlling under my belt, The last person I trained was a young lady in her early 20's. Our "area" of operation, had about 60 controllers, and I told that young lady, before I left, she had the potential and talent to be better than all of them.

Most of the time I think men mistake a womans lack of experience or exposure to a particular task, as an inability to perform that particular task. The only flaw some women share is their tendency to a little more emotion, but that doesn't mean they do not know how to point and shoot, when the time arises.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Malamute wrote:Most women I've shot with were either very good, or very good learners. One outshot me with my own Colt Combat Commander, it was the first time she'd ever shot a gun. I just explained how to use the sights, the slow trigger squeeze, and breath control.

A friend years ago, former wife of an aquaintance, ended up with a 380 auto out of the divorce. She had been shooting a 1911. After her experiences in the gun shops looking for a 1911 and wanted to trade off the 380, I took her 380 and sold it, and found her a nice 1911. She hadnt been shooting in several years, I took her out a couple times, she was quite good very quickly. I really wished I could have worked with her some, getting her in some action shoots, just to see the looks on the macho guys faces when she cleaned their clocks, which she was quite capable of.
I was the range officer for our field office and did several details to our national training academy as a firearms instructor. What I found was that most women were much easier to train to shoot pistols because they came with little or no previous firearms experience. They had not picked up bad habits that needed to be unlearned and they did not have the "I already know how to shoot" attitude. They had a little more trouble with the shotgun because they had to overcome their fear of the recoil. We later added Rem. 11-87's in addition to our 870's and the women preferred the auto loaders over the pump. There were a few women who grew up hunting and shotguns were second nature to them. I much preferred the female students 8)
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I love teaching women to shoot. Shown a bit of patience, and respect they learn much better than most men/boys.
Pet peeve is, as stated before, starting them, or any begining shooter for that matter on centerfire pistols. 22's untell they get sight picture,stance, and grip right, then you try them on the bigger stuff.

And besides all that, helping women with thier stance and grip is a lot more fun.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

It is a shame because we really need more women in the shooting sports. They are more than half the population and if these male chauvinist pigs keep driving them away we are in for a world of future political hurt. The same goes for minorities.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Most of them listen better.

You do get a few who try to do the poor me help a girl out thing though. Had a machine-gunner try that, told her if she wants to play with the big boys, she had to carry the same load we did.

I once taught a single mom how to shoot (correctly) with a .45 ACP and a 12 gauge pump because it was what was at hand.

She'd point-shot a dog of hers who went feral and was attacking her goats with a .22 rifle. About 20 hits later, she finally finished it off. Considering she had no idea what she was doing with a gun, well, she got the job done.

Upgraded her personal armarment with an NEF single-shot 12 gauge after that and taught her to use it correctly.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

OK, I'll be the one to say it; wemmens are no different than men in the learning process. Some do really well with guns, and some are terrified of recoil (my first wife, could take 'em or leave 'em, my second could shoot a 2" .38 better than I could. Third wife, couldn't care less about shooting, but loved SC football. Number 4 was a farm girl that liked .22s and shotguns. Present wife took handgun classes, but isn't real physically strong so racking the slide of my 1911 is too hard for her, but she took my Taurus 85 as her own.) Some even play dumb for the attention ("Oh, poor little me, big scary guns, will you show me how? Huh, pretty please"). Yep, some take to it and some don't. Some men take to needle-point and knitting too...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Here is my 14 year old daughter's first try with a Glock 19 at 7 yards. A few shots to get the feel of it and the rest of the mag right in the cigarettes. Who says girls can't shoot?

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

ollogger wrote:never under estimate a Woman! My wife can make a steer out of a bull. . .
Mine keeps reminding me she knows how to do that, too - so I am VERY nice to her...!!! :shock:

I think the condescending types at the stores/ranges are the same ones who like to turn OFF a potential shooter by handing a newbie a hard-kicking 12 gauge or something just to see them get embarassed or hurt.

As for getting more women involved, it is good for two reasons:

THEY are the ones most likely around to protect the children, and
THEY are a lobbying force to be reckoned with (if they all liked EBR's NOBODY would dare ban them!)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

OBVIOUSLY "kids and guns don't mix..." :roll: