New Savage in .17 WSM Rimfire

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

New Savage in .17 WSM Rimfire

Post by L_Kilkenny »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... dJLUGe06DQ#!

Ugly it is, no doubt about it, but at 4.5lbs, an 8 shot rotary mag and a shelf price that should be around $300 I'll be giving it a try and it screams truck gun. My only worries are that it still won't be worth a stuff on coyotes even at fairly close range.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Savage in .17 WSM Rimfire

Post by BigSky56 »

LK, it will be interesting to see how it works out I have used a 17 HRM on yotes out to 100 as that was at hand at the time it takes a H/L or a head shot to drop them I dont think that a extra 500 fps will change that except it will extend the range the 17 bullet just cant hold up to shoulder shots or racking shots. I prefer the 22 mag for going after predators the 40 gr bullets have better penetration for tough shots. danny
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am thinking of the cartridge for skunk control.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

20 grains....3000 fps.....It should do. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That is what I was thinking.
Are skunks useful for anything?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:That is what I was thinking.
Put a dead one about 200 feet from the picnic table...keeps the flies off the food.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

BigSky56 wrote:LK, it will be interesting to see how it works out I have used a 17 HRM on yotes out to 100 as that was at hand at the time it takes a H/L or a head shot to drop them I dont think that a extra 500 fps will change that except it will extend the range the 17 bullet just cant hold up to shoulder shots or racking shots. I prefer the 22 mag for going after predators the 40 gr bullets have better penetration for tough shots. danny
I think you used a good term, "interesting". Personally I've tried the .22m 3 separate times and the .17hmr once. I've found each to lacking in range or thump or a combination of the two for what I wanted them to do. Personally, I realize I'm asking an awful lot. I want 150-200 range with centerfire like performance on yotes, fox and coon, $300 guns and ammo costing $15/50 or less without reloading. See, I don't want much. So I have to make compromises and it looks like this may be the best one yet. Fingers crossed.

I will say I'm also curious how this .17 performs with a 25gr bullet on fox, yotes and such instead of the HMR's 20gr. Too fragile and I won't like it, won't like limited expansion either. Again, I'm askin a lot. Picky ain't I?

If Savage ( or anyone else) ever wises up and introduces a small centerfire in a platform similar to this one I'd buy that hands down. Just not wanting to spend the $450 on up to get one.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I really do not understand the fascination with shooting coyotes, you can't all be stockman.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Mescalero wrote:I really do not understand the fascination with shooting coyotes, you can't all be stockman.
Well Mescalero you aren't going to like this:
http://lubbockonline.com/filed-online/2 ... 0-set-ears
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Well,
I understand that, those people have a problem.
I do it with skunks in N.M., they are a problem.
Stockman have to protect thier livlihood.
That is why I said all the people talking about shooting them cannot be stockman.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Mescalero wrote:I really do not understand the fascination with shooting coyotes, you can't all be stockman.
Same reasons anyone hunts anything with little food value. Some things are shot for control, some are shot for fur, some are shot for both. No, I'm not a stockman but I do hunt their land along with the land of many others that NEED coyote controlled. Coyotes are no different than muskrats, coon, etc. Just cause they aren't doing me direct harm doesn't mean they don't need controlled. If only stockman shot yotes we'd have so many that you would see the need just like your skunks.

Edited: I only addressed the beneficial, PC reasons for hunting them, forgot to mention that it's challenging and outright fun and because I can and because it's legal. The only reasons need, the first paragraph is just icing on the cake.
Last edited by L_Kilkenny on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That makes sense.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Mescalero wrote:That is what I was thinking.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:shock:
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Doesn't coyote skin especially in their winter coat have value with fur traders?
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I'm not sure I could pull off that look, but I know for sure it would have my grandkids in tears. Might be worth it just for that.

I hope they offer that platform in Hornet. I don't have a long gun in Hornet right now, 10" Contender is so easy to carry, but I would buy one of those. My only other rear lockup bolt gun is a 788 in .30-30 and it's a tackdriver.

Post by Mescalero »

Ji,
Yes, but it varies all the time; in another post I opined if a guy were so inclined, he could make bacon & beans where I live.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I was hoping that this new rimfire would shoot a heavier bullet for shooting yotes. But it's nice to see they kept the price and weight of the rifle down. But a 20 cal with a 30 to 35gr bullet at 2500fps would have been better.

I hunt because I also hunt grouse and turkeys. Yote population goes up , bird population goes down. It's the same as it has ever been, wolves and coyotes like the same food as people.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I don't think most guys on here want to spend the time it takes to skin and flesh out a nasty coyote for no more than they bring. It might be worth it for the heavy northern ones but that would be about it. On the other hand, if some of yall are looking to make money off hides, most Western bobcats with well defined spots do bring a very pretty penny. I would imagine the .17 would work well for them.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

30 years or so ago I had a guy paying me $5 for each one I dropped.

Good times.

Fun and profit.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

THEM GATOS ARE HARD TO HUNT.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Any MSRP on a box of ammo?
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Any MSRP on a box of ammo?
Midway shows $14/50 when available at end of feb.

Byron
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

LK, the 5mm mag is throwing a 30 gr 20 cal bullet at 2300 fps just have to get a 591 or 592 remington or have someone line your 22/17 mag bbl to 20 cal. I not one to have one rifle for one job I use RF for close and medium range say 150 my best was 175 paces and my 30 cal elk rifle for long range I take both with me when I go and sort out predator problems. danny

some times you have to use whats at hand 17 HRM barn rifle 100 yd songdog one shot in the lungs. I was at a ranch to deal with wolves, moving my equipment to the barn when this yote came in to get a chicken dinner.
IMG_0010.jpg
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Big Sky56,
Did he go down right away?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Mescal he did some flips but died right there. first time I'd ever used a 17 not excited about the bullet wind plays hob with it but for a stationary target in the open it worked. danny
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

BigSky56 wrote:LK, the 5mm mag is throwing a 30 gr 20 cal bullet at 2300 fps just have to get a 591 or 592 remington
Or if you don't want the 5mm Mag RF, you can do the conversion to 5mm Craig. I had one set up that way several years ago and bought the reloading kit as well (I can't recall who was doing them at the time) but never got around to loading any up before selling the rifle.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Explanation?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

5mm craig is the the 5mm mag converted to centerfire, same rifle but a new bolt or your old bolt converted to CF. danny
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Parent case?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

turned on a CNC . danny
http://www.5mmcraig.com/p1.htm
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

L_Kilkenny wrote:
BigSky56 wrote:LK, it will be interesting to see how it works out I have used a 17 HRM on yotes out to 100 as that was at hand at the time it takes a H/L or a head shot to drop them I dont think that a extra 500 fps will change that except it will extend the range the 17 bullet just cant hold up to shoulder shots or racking shots. I prefer the 22 mag for going after predators the 40 gr bullets have better penetration for tough shots. danny
I think you used a good term, "interesting". Personally I've tried the .22m 3 separate times and the .17hmr once. I've found each to lacking in range or thump or a combination of the two for what I wanted them to do. Personally, I realize I'm asking an awful lot. I want 150-200 range with centerfire like performance on yotes, fox and coon, $300 guns and ammo costing $15/50 or less without reloading. See, I don't want much. So I have to make compromises and it looks like this may be the best one yet. Fingers crossed.

I will say I'm also curious how this .17 performs with a 25gr bullet on fox, yotes and such instead of the HMR's 20gr. Too fragile and I won't like it, won't like limited expansion either. Again, I'm askin a lot. Picky ain't I?

If Savage ( or anyone else) ever wises up and introduces a small centerfire in a platform similar to this one I'd buy that hands down. Just not wanting to spend the $450 on up to get one.

Savage already has just what you want, in centerfire, it's the model 25 in 17 AI Hornet. Push the 20gr to 3800fps and the 25 to 3600. I don't think you'll have under expansion issues, plus it's reloadable.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

The big difference is the 17 WSM is spittin a 20gr at 3000 and the WMR spits a 17gr at 2500. The HMR's rating for a 20gr is 2300 IIRC. So it is really a 700fps difference, and that is big. If the 20gr is a vmax, then I cannot say, but the 20gr for the HMR is a controlled expansion bullet, and those drive through coyote bones, I know i did it.

But I cannot see many 17 cal bullets being considered bone crushers, so if it were me, I would not shoot any centerfire or rimfire 17 into big bones on a regular basis and expect them to fully penetrate. I can see the 20gr should blow through a coyotes ribs with no problem, but doubt there would ever be an exit.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I would not be surprised if Taurus comes out with another "Raging Hornet" wheel gun but in this chambering.

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Bridger wrote:I don't think most guys on here want to spend the time it takes to skin and flesh out a nasty coyote for no more than they bring. It might be worth it for the heavy northern ones but that would be about it.
For the record we sold a couple furs this last weekend. Besides the coon we had a fox I called in and a coyote I walked up. $30 for the fox, $25 for the yote, both whole and unskinned, better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Savage already has just what you want, in centerfire, it's the model 25 in 17 AI Hornet. Push the 20gr to 3800fps and the 25 to 3600. I don't think you'll have under expansion issues, plus it's reloadable.
2 advantages the new gun and cartridge have......... Gun cost and I can't reload for it. Unlike many here when it comes to reloading in general I'd stop in a heartbeat if I could afford too.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am going to go at it in reverse order.
I am going to buy a large amount of ammo.
Then build the rifle, I have a couple of extra 580 series Remingtons laying about.