Time for suspenders?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Time for suspenders?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I am finding that as I have gotten older and a bit paunchy, this combined with the very small tush that is a hallmark of the guys in my family is making it harder for my jeans to stay up in the back. Looks like I have suspenders in my immediate future. Rather than use the clip-on style, I'll probably just buy a pack of suspender buttons that you attach to your jeans kind of like rivets. I have done this once before and it worked pretty well. Any others out there sporting galluses?

:oops: :? :D
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Time for suspenders?

Post by Tycer »

After reading good reviews here I got Perry's Suspenders that attach to my belt. Love them.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I have been wearing suspenders for years. I tried the button type and didn't care for them. I buy My suspenders at Tractor Supply. 10 bucks a pair and they hold My Breeches up. I am a little slighted in the rear end also coupled wit a big gut makes for unpleasant travel.
I wear a belt too, gotta have something to put My Leatherman on.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Just found the Perry suspenders. Look like just the ticket, as I too carry a Leatherman on my belt, and sometimes a CC holster.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I wear perry suspenders 100 % of the time. I had to start wearing them about 25 years ago. I had to wear a uniform and gunbelt on the job. I got some perrys that was color coded to my uniform shirts. Metal suspenders will scratch furniture and tear up your vehicle`s seats. Perrys have plastic clips. What I dont like with them is when you go to rest rooms the back generaly falls off and you have rehook em. Perrys come in many colors. Its hopeless for me to not use them anymore and especialy with a gun belt and holster.

http://www.perrysuspenders.com/

dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I too use the Perry suspenders-sometimes. Cannot get comfortable with them. As Bill said, when they are not snug they want to fall off. This usually means that you must redo them. But, I am a "no butt, much gut" kinda guy too, so you do what needs doing.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I am pretty porky with no butt, and have worn suspenders for years. I use the button kind, as they never come off like the clip-on kind will do. I buy the suspenders and the buttons at a local saw shop that caters to loggers. At the same time I still wear a belt too for my Leatherman tool, cell phone, and CCW.
I find wearing suspenders to be very comfortable and very reliable.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Wow....all brothers of the strap, eh? I had to start wearing them about 20 years ago after I put on weight after retiring from the Army......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Shasta wrote:I am pretty porky with no butt, and have worn suspenders for years. I use the button kind, as they never come off like the clip-on kind will do. I buy the suspenders and the buttons at a local saw shop that caters to loggers. At the same time I still wear a belt too for my Leatherman tool, cell phone, and CCW.
I find wearing suspenders to be very comfortable and very reliable.

SHASTA
I have been struggling with this for years, tried various suspenders purchased at lumberyards, and tool supplys, and also had a pair that had snaps that hooked on the belt loops. The belt loops would sometimes tear loose, and the metal clips worked pretty good if I reworked a new pair with a pair of vise-grips to so that they dug in better and came loose less often.

I never tried the buttons though. How do you attach the buttons to the pants? Is it permanate? Any pictures possible or maybe a good link.

I have also went the big over-all route off and on, but that has it's problems too. Quite often I just go back to a heavy belt and cinch it up tight, but that's not healthy but I do it anyway. If I could just take some of my gut and add it to my butt I would have it made. :D
NRA Life Member, Patron
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

The only time I wear suspenders is for Cowboy Action Shooting. Don't really like them. :wink:

If I had to wear them all of the time I think I would use this type. They seem to be the "uniform" for the working rancher types in these parts. :)
http://www.suspenderstore.com/galluses- ... nders.html
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Here is a pic of the buttons I buy. Cost is $4 for eight buttons. My suspenders take two buttons in the back and two on each side in the front for a total of six. To attach you simply push the little tack through the beltline of your jeans from the inside, lay the button down on a hard surface, align the tack with the hole in the button, then smack the tack a couple of times with a small hammer. Yes, they are permanent once properly installed.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

If I ever find myself in need of suspenders I'll use them to suspend myself from a tall tree. :lol:
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Instead of suspenders, ya'll need Asitall pills. (fer folks that have no asitall)

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

somehow my common sense tells me to stay out of this one :?
1894c

Post by 1894c »

great i'm starring right in the future...no if's...ands...or BUTTS... :)
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Shasta wrote:Here is a pic of the buttons I buy. Cost is $4 for eight buttons. My suspenders take two buttons in the back and two on each side in the front for a total of six. To attach you simply push the little tack through the beltline of your jeans from the inside, lay the button down on a hard surface, align the tack with the hole in the button, then smack the tack a couple of times with a small hammer. Yes, they are permanent once properly installed.

SHASTA
Thanks for the picture, I have not seen those before.
NRA Life Member, Patron
400short
Levergunner

Post by 400short »

www.hickmansuspenders.com trumps all. 3 different fastening styles, heavy duty and can't come loose
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

400: Thank you for that link!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:somehow my common sense tells me to stay out of this one :?
Beginner's luck? :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:D Yep
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I fit right in with this crowd. No butt and a big gut means I wear suspenders a lot. Mostly clip-ons but I have a bunch of the kind with buttons that I wear for SASS. Most days though I wear bib overalls which solves the problem and they have so much more storage.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I had a pair of Carhartts that had the metal suspender buttons, I found the quite uncomfortable to lean back against, so I took the buttons off. I've tried the clip ons and had constant trouble with them pulling off, even when I bent the clips. I went to the basic button on type and just sew buttons on my pants. It's no big deal, and when properly done, wont come off. It takes me about 20 minutes to sew the buttons on, and i've had exactly one come off after using them on my pants for 15-20 years or so. I hadnt sewn that set on with as many runs of thread.

The good button on ones lay flat and dont bother my back. Looks like the metal snaps deals the cip to your belt loops would be uncomfortable. May be a personal thing, but I think it would bother my back anyway.

My pants dont fall off too much, but my shirt stay tucked in better when I wear suspenders, and it bothers my back less to carry a sixgun when I wear them also.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

BlaineG wrote:
Mescalero wrote:somehow my common sense tells me to stay out of this one :?
Beginner's luck? :P
No. Teachers Pet. :wink:
Click Click Boom
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

By the way, I am loving my Hickmans.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I recently found the best suspenders I have ever seen. I bought them at the suspenderstore.com

I need a belt too, these are western suspenders with wide leather loops that you run your belt through. They are the best I have ever had. You guys might want to check them out.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I also wear/like the Perry's.

I wear 'em not because I have a gut, but because I have neither Gut, Azz nor Hips, and if I wear a belt tight enough to hold my pants up it crushes my transverse ishcial nerve(s) and makes my leg(s) go numb.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!