one of the good guys

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

one of the good guys

Post by Mescalero »

Daniel Inoye passed today.
I always thought he was one of the good guys.
RIP
Hobie

Re: one of the good guys

Post by Hobie »

He did his bit for this country.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yes, he did.
I am sure it was struggle for him, considering part of his heritage.
Like I said, one of the good guys.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sorry to be 'insensitive, but unless this website is a hoax,

I can't see him as "one of the good guys". . . :roll:
[b][color=#0080BF]Senator Daniel Inouye[/color][/b] wrote:SENATOR INOUYE’S STATEMENT ON GUN CONTROL

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - http://www.inouye.senate.gov/news/press ... un-control

“I am not against owning guns. I understand hunting and I know that some people feel evil is all around them and they want some protection, but to be able to go online and buy 6,000 rounds of ammunition, what in God’s name is a civilian doing with 6,000 rounds of ammunition? I am all for personal protection but you do not need an arsenal. Our country needs a national gun law. We should limit the number and type of weapons an individual is allowed to own and they ought to be catalogued in a national database that every arms dealer has to check before making a sale. If somebody carries an assault rifle, like the kind I carried while fighting in Europe during World War II, they are not going duck hunting; they are going manhunting. Current reports indicate that James Holmes, the suspect who allegedly shot up the theater in Colorado, did not have a criminal record nor did he have a history of erratic behavior but he was able to arm himself with a shotgun, two handguns, an assault rifle and 6,000 rounds of ammunition in a little less than three months and nobody thought a thing about it until it was too late. What was the rationale for his purchases? We should not permit that sort of thing in this country,” said Senator Inouye.
Those are statements of a fool who is an enemy of freedom, and evidently a self-anointed ruler or wannabe-tyrant. If we're to the point of respecting this kind of individual, simply because he has an 'ethnic' name, or once-upon-a-time did something 'heroic' - we may as well start working on our Mao posters and Stalin statues right now... :evil:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I do not think they are the words of a fool.
They may be the words of an old warrior reacting to a tragic incident in the twilight of his life.
I always thought him to be insightful when I saw him speak.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mescalero wrote:I do not think they are the words of a fool.
They may be the words of an old warrior reacting to a tragic incident in the twilight of his life.
Even "old warriors" get senile, and when their ramblings get to the point of encouraging public policy that facilitates genocide, increases crime, and decreases the stability of our society, I tend to think they need to be gently wheeled off to the Altzheimer's ward.

Respect them if you wish, but only for their 'past accomplishments' whatever they were - espousing the kind of Stalinist nonsense above absolutely does NOT earn him any respect from me.

Glad he's no longer an influential political figure. Sorry he had to die to get there, but if it keeps his raving lunatic fingers off our liberty, and from making our society even more dangerous, so be it.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

AJMD429 wrote:
Mescalero wrote:I do not think they are the words of a fool.
Even "old warriors" get senile, and when their ramblings get to the point of encouraging public policy that facilitates genocide, increases crime, and decreases the stability of our society, I tend to think they need to be gently wheeled off to the Altzheimer's ward.

Respect them if you wish, but only for their 'past accomplishments' whatever they were - espousing the kind of Stalinist nonsense above absolutely does NOT earn him any respect from me.

Glad he's no longer an influential political figure. Sorry he had to die to get there, but if it keeps his raving lunatic fingers off our liberty, and from making our society even more dangerous, so be it.
AJMD429 Man you need to change which bottle your stealing out of, your getting full of hate.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Judas Priest, Doc...the man served his country, and he earned his right to express his opinion..STFU :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

harry wrote:AJMD429 Man you need to change which bottle your stealing out of, your getting full of hate.
So some senile old geezer who "served in the Big War" comes along with senatorial powers and wants to dictate what citizen/subjects are allowed to own regarding recreation, home-protection, self-protection, and/or community-protection, and I'm supposed to get all misty-eyed when he dies...???

Whether he was a well-meaning fool, or a calculating despot, the end-result of supporting ridiculous and dangerous public policy is the same.

He's no different than a senile old-soldier who shows up to the range, and waves his loaded gun around dangerously. Respect his past achievements if you want, but get his dangerous butt off the range...!

In the case of a 'legislator' the damage is far greater than a potential accidental-discharge, as he can with a stroke of the pen cause thousands of innocent people to be stripped of their freedom, their possessions, or their lives.

Glad he served in WW-II, and maybe God will decide the good outweighs the bad. It's not for me to decide, but I sure as heck won't "praise" the guy just so prove I can be sentimental about the Greatest Generation... :roll:

I'm sorry his family will have to suffer his loss, but it sounds like the rest of us will be better off he's no longer able to legislate.

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

AJMD429 wrote:
harry wrote:AJMD429 Man you need to change which bottle your stealing out of, your getting full of hate.
So some senile old geezer who "served in the Big War" comes along with senatorial powers and wants to dictate what citizen/subjects are allowed to own regarding recreation, home-protection, self-protection, and/or community-protection, and I'm supposed to get all misty-eyed when he dies...???

Whether he was a well-meaning fool, or a calculating despot, the end-result of supporting ridiculous and dangerous public policy is the same.

He's no different than a senile old-soldier who shows up to the range, and waves his loaded gun around dangerously. Respect his past achievements if you want, but get his dangerous butt off the range...!

In the case of a 'legislator' the damage is far greater than a potential accidental-discharge, as he can with a stroke of the pen cause thousands of innocent people to be stripped of their freedom, their possessions, or their lives.

Glad he served in WW-II, and maybe God will decide the good outweighs the bad. It's not for me to decide, but I sure as heck won't "praise" the guy just so prove I can be sentimental about the Greatest Generation... :roll:

I'm sorry his family will have to suffer his loss, but it sounds like the rest of us will be better off he's no longer able to legislate.
Just so you guys know:

Psychopathy (/saɪˈkɒpəθi/[1][2] is a personality disorder that has been variously characterized by shallow emotions (including reduced fear, a lack of empathy, and stress tolerance), coldheartedness, egocentricity, superficial charm, manipulativeness, irresponsibility, impulsivity, criminality, antisocial behavior, a lack of remorse, and a parasitic lifestyle

That pretty much nails it.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

"With complete disregard for his personal safety, Second Lieutenant Inouye crawled up the treacherous slope to within five yards of the nearest machine gun and hurled two grenades, destroying the emplacement. Before the enemy could retaliate, he stood up and neutralized a second machine gun nest. Although wounded by a sniper's bullet, he continued to engage other hostile positions at close range until an exploding grenade shattered his right arm. Despite the intense pain, he refused evacuation and continued to direct his platoon until enemy resistance was broken and his men were again deployed in defensive positions."

- Senator Daniel Inouye's Medal of Honor Citation

I think you've jumped the shark, Doc.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sounds like a man who knew where he stood, and he most certainly did earn the right to speak.

I am thankful for his past service and admire his great courage. May he RIP.

But what makes Inouye any different than a character like Bernie Maddow? Maddow was a respected manager in his field and made hundreds of millions for his clients, but in the end he turned against and screwed everyone who trusted him.

Should they praise his memory for his great acheivements and past philanthropy, or focus on the fact that the last thing he did was to deliberately rob hundreds of people who trusted him?

The Senator had his time in the sun. That said, I'd still pee on his grave.

No disrespect intended, I'm just sayin'.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FWiedner wrote:The Senator had his time in the sun. That said, I'd still pee on his grave.
Same here.

Otherwise, I guess a guy could just earn his Purple Heart when he's 20 years old, then spend the rest of his life doing terrible things, and it would somehow be just peachy. I don't buy that.

Sorry if that makes me a "Psychopath (/saɪˈkɒpəθi/[1][2]") :roll:

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'm with AJMD and FWiedner this time. No matter the MOH, he still turned on me and all us gun owners and became the enemy.

Glad he's gone, may he rest in peace.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

He should have retired 43 years ago. Now, if we could get a few more of the dinosaurs to retire. No more lifetime political careers. One term and you go back home.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

He's for sure and for certain a war hero and our country is better off for what he did on the battle field. Then he becomes a politician and wants to turn us into the very thing he fought against. I can't understand that. How does a man see what he saw, do what he did, and then come home and think evil no longer exists and we can all just learn to get along and end every day with a world wide group hug so we can all feel good about ourselves?

I won't pee on his grave but we're better off without him.

As a baby boomer I get tired of hearing all about how great the "Greatest Generation" was. I know they went through the dust bowl, the depression and WWII. Then we got through the war and most of that generation quickly buried their head in the sand and our country became over run with politicians who ran us in the direction we're going now. You can say they were so tired of working and scrimping for all the bad years that once things turned the corner all they wanted to do was enjoy the remainder of their life, but look at what we're left with! Now our generation has been slowly loosing more and more freedoms and not nearly enough of us are doing anything about it!

I don't know if we will turn our country around, and I fear we won't, especially with senators like him and most likely like the one who will be appointed to replace him. But we gotta keep up the fight because the gravy train has to stop eventually.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Cleearly a sad loss for his fanily. I will celebrate his courage under fire and in defending our country and world at a time when tyranny threatened.

I mourn his loss of focus on preserving our freedoms in his later public service. And just as I do not question the sincerity, loyalty and yes, courage of those that would have us relinquish rights, liberty and responsibility in exchange for some hope of "security;" their flaw is not seeing that by doing so, they are only enabling some future tyrant from taking the rest of our rights and liberties.

Our elected officials take an oath to defend and protect our CONSTITUTION, not you or me, their constituents, and most certainly not their campaign contributors.

I truly believe that most politicians can hold that resolve for one term, beyond that, they fall victim to their own rhetoric.

What I doubt is, that even one of them, with full knowledge of what would befall them should they fail, would have the courage to sign the "Declaration of Independence!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

It's a shame to pollute a memorial statement to an American hero with vitriol.
I don't know how many politicians you people may have met, but they're not in this for money, not even for power. They have a heart of service that drives them, whether you agree with their views or not. I spent 3 hours in the Paris Delta Sky Club chatting with Marion Barry. I was heading to Africa, he was coming back from a mission where they built homes and schools and hospitals, dug water wells, and built community. It wasn't to make money or draw attention to himself. It was because he was driven by his heart.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Prayer up for respect to return to our community here. I am sorry to see this kind of anger among my brethren.