Anyone shooting a Sig 556?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Anyone shooting a Sig 556?

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a couple rifles that I haven't formed any real attachment to and was thinking
of selling two or three of them for another auto loader.

I want to stick to rifles that use AR, M-14 or AK magazines.
Really like the looks of the 556 Classic and I was wondering if anyone has handled/ fired one.

Right now at the top of the list would be another M1A. I have a SOCOM 16 but wouldn't mind a
heavy barrel match (for those long range zombies).

Second choice is a medium weight AR rifle. I already have a Colt CAR and would like a heavier barreled rifle.

What do you guys think?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone shooting a Sig 556?

Post by Mescalero »

See if you can find a used Daewoo K1,
if you were out here, you could shoot mine.
These things are real sleepers, not many people know about theem or how good they are!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mescalero wrote:See if you can find a used Daewoo K1,
if you were out here, you could shoot mine.
These things are real sleepers, not many people know about theem or how good they are!
Forgot about those! Nice rifles. Have to put that on the list.

jb 8)

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Guess not.

Did some searching on the net and it seems that they are hit and miss QC wise and a real lack of spare parts.

So down to another AR or M1A depending upon what I sell off.

jb 8)

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The sig or the daewoo?
I have had no problems.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mescalero wrote:The sig or the daewoo?
I have had no problems.
Sig..

Only found one Daewoo but it had one of those goofy "sporter" stocks on it, and really overpriced.

jb 8)

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Ok you have to promise not to hit me.
I paid $329.00 new in the box for mine.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mescalero wrote:Ok you have to promise not to hit me.
I paid $329.00 new in the box for mine.
You Dog!

And I mean that in the Utmost respect!!!
:D

jb 8)

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:lol:
That is the way most people react when I tell them! :lol:
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Anything made in the last four to five years from Sig USA is suspect, the 556's being among the more suspect.

In the AR-mag platform...... stick to a regular AR. Look at a 1/8 twist LaRue PredatAR.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

MrMurphy wrote:Anything made in the last four to five years from Sig USA is suspect, the 556's being among the more suspect.
This is so not true. Have a few Sigs including a couple of 556 and I would trust either Sig 556 over an AR platform any day. Thousands of rounds and not a single failure to feed or fire. Accuracy is sub MOA. Some early Sigs (Think 5+ years ago and more) of the new American factory had some QC issues. They allowed some to leave the factory when they should have addressed issues. In the past 5 years (making up the majority of the production count), the quality has been excellent.

Folks that claim otherwise are just spreading lies to protect their AR sales.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Trailboss wrote:
MrMurphy wrote:Anything made in the last four to five years from Sig USA is suspect, the 556's being among the more suspect.
This is so not true. Have a few Sigs including a couple of 556 and I would trust either Sig 556 over an AR platform any day. Thousands of rounds and not a single failure to feed or fire. Accuracy is sub MOA. Some early Sigs (Think 5+ years ago and more) of the new American factory had some QC issues. They allowed some to leave the factory when they should have addressed issues. In the past 5 years (making up the majority of the production count), the quality has been excellent.

Folks that claim otherwise are just spreading lies to protect their AR sales.
Good to know. Thanks!

jb 8)

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Well, when a friend who's a qualified Sig armorer, carried a P228/226 for over 15 years, who's owned (at one time, over 20 at the same time) effectively ever major model they've produced including a P210, after much swearing in about four languages sells all but two or three of his Sigs (European made ones) because of QC issues, failure to feed reliably (including multiple trips to SIG USA, and he's close enough it's an in person visit)......

You shut up and pay attention.

The 556 series is 'not' a Sig 550.

I'd trust a Sig 550/551/552 with my life, they're built right.

The fact they introduced a Sig 551A1 (more or less, a 551 for the US market) with the original mags is what they call 'a clue'. While YOUR particular Sig may work fine, and good for you, the 556 series as a whole, since it's introduction, has been known to have issues. Some guns work. Some don't. They're not a 550 series, they're a 556, and they sell because people don't know better or care based on the Sig/550 series rep.

Can current Sigs be good? Yes, they can. But I would inspect the @!@ out of it before it ever left the shop and run a solid 500 rounds through it first before using it for anything serious.

Much like any Kimber with a II in the name, yeah, they might be built right. And they might not.

All my guns are working guns and they must be life or death reliable, because even in a hunting gun, it might come down to that. With the exception of the odd .22 for plinking, they all have to work, every time, period. Bad ammo doesn't count (that does happen).

I like the idea of the 556, but the execution has been halfhearted, much like Sig USA's "make them in every color but don't insure they work" theory for the last 2-3 years. SIG can make a good pistol, obviously, the SEALs use them, but I can guarantee you a Mk25 going to the Teams is inspected a hell of a lot better than one of the thousands of other guns they make.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't own a SIG myself, though I've shot many of them over thousands of rounds. But the "I put 90 rounds through mine, it's awesome!' type reviews don't mean diddly when it gets serious.

I'm not trying to sell ARs, and I've carried one on and off for half my life just about. They have their own quirks, and there's definitely a difference between good and badly made ARs, and a lot of people can't tell the difference there either i.e "my Spikes is just as good as a Colt/BCM/LaRue/Noveske!" Sorry, but no......it's generally not.

Every manufacturer makes good guns. Every manufacturer makes some bad ones. The key is knowing who makes how many of both. The odds of you getting a spectacularly bad Colt 1911 in their millions made over the last 101 years is fairly low. The odds of you getting a bad Taurus (of any type) is quite high.

I would pass on a 556, they don't offer anything to me. He can buy one, or not, but he needs ALL the info.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Just my .02........

Buy once, cry once. Get a Noveske. If you get tired of the configuration you can send it back and they will convert it any way you like. You can sell the old parts, Noveske barrels hold value. I had a 5 day turnaround, on mine. I originally bought a Skinny MOE, but the pencil barrel heated up too fast and trying to get good groups past 50 yards was just wasting ammo. I talked with their tech support, decided to turn it into an SPR, sent it in, they got it on a Monday and it was ready to ship by Wednesday of the same week.

All AR's go "bang". Some are just built better. Buy the best you can afford.

Again, just my .02

.........and the only Sig I own is a 228 :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Trailboss wrote: This is so not true.
And I would say THIS is so not true. ^
It has nothing to do with the 556, just SIG in general.
Slow is just slow.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ok.

Went to a gun show this morning and handled a couple Sig 556's.
Cool factor is definitely there but they just didn't feel right ( to me) and QC thing is really nagging at me.

I really appreciate all the info!!!

So it's going to be another AR or M1A depending on how much $ I come up with.

jb 8)

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

If you're looking for an M14 type, look into Fulton Armory, they tend to be built better than the Springfields. They make a good rifle but if you're looking for match accuracy (sustainably) the Fultons do better.