Hunting and the I Phone

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Hunting and the I Phone

Post by 6pt-sika »

Now I realize some of you yahoo's have been doing this for a few years now . But this was the first or second time I've surfed the net a bit while I was up a tree deer hunting !

Kinda a milestone of sorts for me :lol:

Yep and before some one says it , I need a cover for the darn phone :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hunting and the I Phone

Post by 2ndovc »

Creepy..

:D :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

2ndovc wrote:Creepy..

jb 8)

Me or the phone 8)
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I know some states prohibit electronic communications while hunting. I know the state of NH does not allow it for the moose season and they will ruin your day if caught using a cell phone or FRS radio while hunting moose.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

In 1988 I was just starting practice and had to have 'immediate availability' when on call, so got used to carrying around a 'bag phone' the size of a toaster. Of course I wouldn't carry IT when woods-walking unless actually on-call. Then a couple years later we got the hand-held ones and small enough to slip in the pocket without bother. So I'm in the woods and spy a fox darting along the opposite side of a wooded valley maybe 50 yards away. Off goes the cellphone ring, and it of course spooked the fox. I keep my electronics out of the woods now.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:In 1988 I was just starting practice and had to have 'immediate availability' when on call, so got used to carrying around a 'bag phone' the size of a toaster. Of course I wouldn't carry IT when woods-walking unless actually on-call. Then a couple years later we got the hand-held ones and small enough to slip in the pocket without bother. So I'm in the woods and spy a fox darting along the opposite side of a wooded valley maybe 50 yards away. Off goes the cellphone ring, and it of course spooked the fox. I keep my electronics out of the woods now.

They make a setting called "vibrate only" :lol:

Matter of fact I got a call while I was in the woods this evening , but it was a nice quiet vibrating feeling in my chest pocket !

I hunted once down in Tuskeeggee Alabama at the now defunct "White Oak Plantation" and one group hunting while I was there were 4 or 5 investment bankers from Houston . In the morning hunts several of them would go out with a rather large backpack which at the time I thought a little strange , turns out they had phones and laptops in the packs , this woulda been about 1994 or so .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

bigbore442001 wrote:I know some states prohibit electronic communications while hunting. I know the state of NH does not allow it for the moose season and they will ruin your day if caught using a cell phone or FRS radio while hunting moose.
Dunno , most all of mu buds around here that hunt carry the cell with them , a good many text back and forth while hunting and or play games . Heck several of them are law enforcement so I would "assume" they now the legalities .

I know the state of Virginia "used to be illegal" to carry two way radios . Now all the dog hunters carry two way radios as well as having radio tracking collers on all their mutts .

I typically hunt alone so the two way radio is a non issue for me , although I have friends that when they come and hunt with me they like to use two way radios and when they give me one I put it in my pocket get outta sight and turn it off until I'm ready to come out the woods .

I dunno if it's illegal here or not , but I'm gonna carry the thing .
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Here in Ohio you can cary and use electronics but not in actual pursuit of game.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

6pt-sika wrote:They make a setting called "vibrate only" :lol:
Matter of fact I got a call while I was in the woods this evening , but it was a nice quiet vibrating feeling in my chest pocket!
'Spose that's okay... as long as you don't text 'em back askin' 'em to call you back every 30 seconds or so! :twisted: :twisted: :P :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

The cell phone carried while hunting is one of the best safety items you can have with you.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

6pt-sika wrote:[I know the state of Virginia "used to be illegal" to carry two way radios . Now all the dog hunters carry two way radios as well as having radio tracking collers on all their mutts .

I used to use these all the time when i had regular hunting buddies. Never really thought about the legality, but now my interest is piqued. --- but last time i went with my brother, he just called me on his cell to tell me he had a deer down

2 ways are Also great to jibber jabber on the way to the hunting land if your taking a couple of trucks and its a several hour drive -- ("Bob's gotta take a pit-stop". or, "great restaurant up ahead ", etc etc )
----- Doug
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

bigbore442001 wrote:I know some states prohibit electronic communications while hunting. I know the state of NH does not allow it for the moose season and they will ruin your day if caught using a cell phone or FRS radio while hunting moose.
What's the logic behind that? Can you only shoot a Moose if you're the only one to see it?

Personally, I don't like cell phones. I think there are very few folks that need to be in immediate contact 24-7 and most of the time users are in a world of their own (in church, while driving, in restaurants). But, whenever I go up in the hills alone, I'll take a cell phone...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
1894c

Post by 1894c »

AJMD429 wrote:In 1988 I was just starting practice and had to have 'immediate availability' when on call, so got used to carrying around a 'bag phone' the size of a toaster. Of course I wouldn't carry IT when woods-walking unless actually on-call. Then a couple years later we got the hand-held ones and small enough to slip in the pocket without bother. So I'm in the woods and spy a fox darting along the opposite side of a wooded valley maybe 50 yards away. Off goes the cellphone ring, and it of course spooked the fox. I keep my electronics out of the woods now.
my Doctor friend lost his pager while we were turkey hunting in 1998...we noticed that the turkey population was bigger the following year...we supposed that everytime the beeper went off the turkeys mated, thereby doubling the flock... :)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

6pt-sika wrote:
2ndovc wrote:Creepy..

jb 8)

Me or the phone 8)
Maybe a little of both :D :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

White Oak Plantation......I am in school in Auburn and drive through Tuskegee every weekend and I swear I have seen a sign with that on it somewhere. Can you elaborate on where that is/was 6pt? Didn't happen to be on highway 29 did it?
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

Two of the three in our club have Iphone's and we text reports back and forth. I like the safety aspect should there be any trouble but also like the fact if someone makes a kill we can meet them with the game cart instead of walking back to camp to get it.

Thomas
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bridger wrote:White Oak Plantation......I am in school in Auburn and drive through Tuskegee every weekend and I swear I have seen a sign with that on it somewhere. Can you elaborate on where that is/was 6pt? Didn't happen to be on highway 29 did it?

They used to have a hunting lodge like Westervelt or any other number of places in Alabama . I can't remmember the numbers but from Opilika it was maybe a 45 minute to an hour drive as I stayed there the night before I was supposed to arrive . Thye typically sold hunts back then for 3 or 4 days for whitetail and in the spring they did turkey hunts . The family that owned the joint was named Pittman and they were from somewhere right around Orlando and had been in the orange grove buisness . They were all Gator grads as well as I can remmember . But seems they sold out and stopped the hunting lodge maybe 4 years ago .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

264 Win Mag wrote:Two of the three in our club have Iphone's and we text reports back and forth. I like the safety aspect should there be any trouble but also like the fact if someone makes a kill we can meet them with the game cart instead of walking back to camp to get it.

Thomas

Very very rarely does anyone hunt with me . It is however good to let someone know if I'm hurt etc and need help . I also like it because my father thats 76 and has Parkinsons can call me if he really needs something . Generally my preferred stands are no more then 300-400 yards from the house and the 4 wheeler is between us somewhere so i can be back to the house in about 5-10 minutes with most of that time getting up or down the tree with the climber and all my junk !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Stan in SC wrote:The cell phone carried while hunting is one of the best safety items you can have with you.
We always let the guy who grew up on our place (born around 1915 or so) hunt here as a matter of course, and when he was in his 80's (cell-phones just had become 'pocket sized' around then) he commented that he mostly just liked to get out and watch the sun rise, but would still get a deer on occasion. I asked him how on earth he'd drag it out and he said he just would call his son-in-law on his cell phone and stay in his stand and watch him do all the work... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

AJMD429 wrote:I asked him how on earth he'd drag it out and he said he just would call his son-in-law on his cell phone and stay in his stand and watch him do all the work... 8)
I like this idea even better after helping haul a 250# hog out of the swamp two years ago! :mrgreen:

Thomas
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:
Stan in SC wrote:The cell phone carried while hunting is one of the best safety items you can have with you.
We always let the guy who grew up on our place (born around 1915 or so) hunt here as a matter of course, and when he was in his 80's (cell-phones just had become 'pocket sized' around then) he commented that he mostly just liked to get out and watch the sun rise, but would still get a deer on occasion. I asked him how on earth he'd drag it out and he said he just would call his son-in-law on his cell phone and stay in his stand and watch him do all the work... 8)
Doc you hook a rope around the deer or deers necks still with innards and I can have them back to the house in 5 minutes with my Kawasaki !
Although in the picture I bothered to load them on the racks . In the last few years I've come from the woods riding that thing with as many as four deer dragging along behind . They get gutted when I hog hang them on my skinning tree setup !

My skinning setup at my house .

The skinning setup at my gunsmith buddies house off the bucket on one of thier JD's .

And the best I've used the skinning setup at the farm a friend manages and I used to hunt ,this one has about a 1/2 ton electric winch (he used to slaughter angus there.

I swear these things are the greatest invention since metallic cartridges and treestands LOL's ( the ATV's that is ). Truely they are a great thing to have . I have a congenital heart murmur and now that I'm older I would have give seriouse consideration to curtailing my hunting . But this thing keeps me going and sure as heck saves me from long drags .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

You know if I'm behind my house and the deer doesn't drop somewhere thats difficult to get the Kawasaki to I can kill it , get to it , bring it to the house , skin it , gut it and cut it up in quarters and take the tender loin and backstraps out in less then an hour usually .

When I deer is just killed the hide comes off like wax paper off a roll almost . It's also a tad easier to skin before gutting . Since I started collecting old meat clevers quartering a deer is nothing . Using a meat saw is a PITA , guy I used to hunt with in Southern Maryland used a reciprocating saw and that worked pretty well . Only problem with the clever is when your hands get greasy or slick from blood and fat , you gotta watch that or the clever will go flying and usually my clevers are sharp enough to shave the hair on your arm when I start .
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

They can be a positive safety device, if they're charged, you're within range
of a tower, etc., etc..

On the other hand, I ain't a fan of electronic crib toys in general.

But I won't categorically say that they're useless, mind you.
If you can consistently hit an iphone at 50 yards with your
levergun, you're probably ready for deer season! :o :lol:

-Stretch