10 gauge 2 7/8" Buckshot Loads !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

10 gauge 2 7/8" Buckshot Loads !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Tonight I loaded up some more 10 gauge 2 7/8" buckshot loads .

I used the same charge of SR7625 that I use with the 00 Buck load . But this time I loaded two with #1 Buck , 2 with #3 Buck and 2 with #4 Buck .

Need to go to the range tommorrow to try my ML's again so I thought I'd try both barrels with the three sizes at 25 yards and see what I got !

Incidently the #1 loads are in cut down 3 1/2" shells , the #3's are in old Winchester 2 7/8" paper hulls and the #4's are in old Remington 2 7/8" plastic hulls that require the Remington 57 or 67 primer (think thats the correct number) . Someone gave me a couple hundred of those primers so I thought I'd give them a try .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 10 gauge 2 7/8" Buckshot Loads !

Post by 6pt-sika »

The #3 buck pellets came from some old Winchester paper 10 gauge 3 1/2" shells I've had laying around for a number of years .
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very kewl.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Overslept this AM so I didn't go to the range until I went to the shop for awhile and then took off after lunch about 14:30 . Used my old damascus barreled W&C Scott thats choked pretty much full and more then full .

All were fired at 25 yards . The #1 loads were in Remington 3 1/2" shells I had trimmed down and used CCI209 primers with 30 grains SR7625 . The #3 loads were in old Winchester paper 2 7/8" hulls with CCI209's and 30 grains SR7625 . The #4 Buck was in old Remington 2 7/8" plastic hulls loaded again with 30 grains of SR7625 but using the Remington old 69 primer as 209's won't go in the old Remington hulls . The #1's had 16 pellets , the #3's had 30 pellets and the #4's contained 32 pellets . The #1's were placed and pushed in while the #3 and #4 were just dumped in . I also used a card wad over the #1's but no cards over the smaller ones .

On the top of each target you can see the buckshot number and a L or R for the barrel used for the shot .

#1 Buck right barrel ,

#1 Buck left barrel ,

#3 Buck right barrel ,

#3 Buck left barrel ,

#4 Buck right barrel ,

#4 Buck left barrel ,

Oh yeah I left out one thing . The #3 Buck was reclaimed from some old Winchester paper 10 gauge 3 1/2" shells I had laying around with no use for . Still have enough of that left for maybe 8-10 shots . Seems #3 Buck is a little difficult to find lately and the same can be said for #1 . Well atleast when you're just looking for the pellets for reloading !

Just finished loading a couple more with #3 and 4 with #1 in the old Remington hulls using the #69 primers . Wanna try them in my old Ithaca fluid steel barreled 10 gauge 2 7/8" gun tommorrow hopefully !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My old W&C Scott I used today !

The old Ithaca NID I'll take along tommorrow and try both the #1 and #3 Buck . Might also cart along 2 of the shells loaded with 00 .

I have a feeling the W&C Scott will go along to the Blackwater NWR for the shotgun hunt in November . Well that is along with my Savage 220 20 gauge bolt action rifled slug gun !
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Great post----- thanks 6pt :wink:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Good stuff. I have a #1 shot mold and am gonna reformat a couple cans of 00 when
I get around to it.

(6) 7.67 balls in each sheet of paper. Dead right there.

Grizz
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Did some more with the 10 gauges and buckshot again today !

My Ithaca fluid steel barreled 10 gauge with the 2 7/8" chambers choked ful and fullerer !

Tried 00 in it first .

The right barrel ,

The left barrel ,

Next came #1 buck ,

The right barrel ,

The left barrel ,

And #3 from the Ithaca .

The right barrel ,

The left barrel ,

Doubt if I ever use #3 buck in either gun on deer but they both throw a semi decent pattern at 25 yards which is what I typically try and hold shots to with ANY SIZE buckshot !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Also did a little more with the W&C Scott today .

Shot 00 in each barrel .

The right ,

The left barrel ,

Then tried #1 buck again .

The right barrel ,

The left barrel ,

And finally both barrels fired in quick succesion with #1 !

The old damascus english gun seems to like the #1 load .
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Cool! Back when you could still buy factory 2 7/8" loads, I used a lot of them in a H&R single barrel. Didn't need more than one shot with it.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

44-40 Willy wrote:Cool! Back when you could still buy factory 2 7/8" loads, I used a lot of them in a H&R single barrel. Didn't need more than one shot with it.
The old paper Winchester 3 1/2" 10 gauge I robbed the #3 buck shot from I just finished cutting them down to 2 7/8" on the bandsaw !

Gonna try them in the Ithaca . The factory wads , powder and primers are still in them . May load these with #8 birdshot however .

I still have a bunch of the old Winchester paper factory loaded 2 7/8" shells with #3 buck that came from my grandfather and from the same fellow that gave me the 3 1/2" shells I just cut down .
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

A suggestion to tighten those patterns would be to try an over-shot card and a roll crimp. I only use factory 3 1/2" 00's in my 10 gauge, but in the 12 gauge I have noticed better patterns using a roll crimp. BPI has most everything for shotshell reloaders.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Cool stuff man!

I've been thinking of starting to load for the 10 ga because I can't seem to find the 10 ga buckshot ANYWHERE. the only thing available is the hevi-shot stuff which my gun is too old for probably.

Back when I got the 10 ga (20 years ago), both winchester and federal made buckshot for it, and winchester made both 00 and #4 buckshot - seems like those #4 buck shells had forty something pellets in them!! Now Federal 00 is the only thing available - except actually not available.

I'm glad you are loading for the big 10.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

great post and wonderful 10 gauges. i have got to try this. i have a winchester 1901 lever action 10 ga 2 7/8" and have been wanting to make some buckshot [ and for that matter, some slugs ] to try in it.
now i have just got to get my reloader out and set up soon.
cable
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

rock-steady wrote:A suggestion to tighten those patterns would be to try an over-shot card and a roll crimp. I only use factory 3 1/2" 00's in my 10 gauge, but in the 12 gauge I have noticed better patterns using a roll crimp. BPI has most everything for shotshell reloaders.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/
I'm quite sure you're correct about the rol crimp and that was originally my intention when I started loading for the short 10 three years ago . However BPI kinda gave me the run around about some stuff I ordered . So I refrain from doing buisness with them or using their products anymore then I have to .

Besides for the way I typically hunt the groups I have now are more then adequate .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Over the years I've owned a number of 10 gauge guns !

The first I ever got was a Remington SP-10 back in 89 when they first brought them out .

Later I got a Ithaca MAG-10 Field and then an Ithaca MAG-10 DeLuxe follwed very shortly with a Browning BPS .

My father got the Ithaca NID I have pictured here back about 1980 I believe and my grandfather was given the W&C Scott around 1952 I believe .

Now I have my grandfathers and fathers 10 gauge guns . Believe it or not we've owned the Ithaca for 30+ years and this year was the first time it's been fired since we've owned it !

I'd like to get my hands on a decent Parker GH or so grade 10 gauge damascus gun thats good and tight so I can shoot it . Other then that about the only other shotgun I'd really like would be a PArker 8 gauge hammerless gun . And of course you can bet if I ever get one and it's tight I'll shoot it and most likely try and kill a deer with it !
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I bought my H&R new around 1981. It was chambered for 3 1/2 but I mostly used 2 7/8 in it. Back then we could still use lead shot for ducks and I was reloading for it as well. I let it go in a moment of weakness to my brother and have regretted it ever since.

I once loaded a 3 1/2 mag full of 2 1/4 oz of #9 birdshot to kill a flock of starlings that had taken up residence on the family farm. One shot into the middle of the flock and 54 birds on the ground.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.