Shotgun+rifled choke+slugs accuracy test...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Shotgun+rifled choke+slugs accuracy test...

Post by 86er »

The gun=
1970 Remington 870 Wingmaster. I made a birdseye maple stock for it with a parallel comb and swelled grip.
Barrel is a newish parkerized 3" chamber 26" with screw in chokes.

The choke=
This one is a Carlson's rifled choke that extends 1.5" from the barrel.

The sights= Tru-Glo screw onto vent-rib with ghost ring rear aperature.

The slugs=
After shooting 5 different choke constrictions and 14 different slugs, the one's that are most consistent and useful are (in no particular order) - Remington Buckhammer 2.75" 1.25 oz 1550 fps, Winchester 2.75" 1 oz 1600 fps, Federal Tru-Ball Low Recoil 1 oz 1300 fps.

The farthest I can keep all the slugs within 5 inches is 80 yards. At 90-100 yards the groups can be 6.5-8".

Pictured=
Black circle top - Remington Buckhammer 4" group 5 shots (2 same hole in bullseye)
Right orange - 3 shots Winchester foster style 3.5" group 3 shots
Center orange - sight in with adjustment after each shot (bottom 3 WW 1oz, top Federal Tru-Ball LR 1 oz.)
Left orange - Federal Tru-Ball 3" group 3 shots (2 in one hole)
These were fired off a tripod, standing at 80 yards.

Slugs that did not group as good as these: Winchester Supreme, Remington AccuTip, Remington Slugger, Remington Copper Solid, Brenekke K.O., Federal Barnes sabot, Federal Tru-Ball 1600 fps.

Did not try but intend to (cant find them) - Federal Tru-Ball Deep Penetrator (low recoil and regular) and Remington Buckhammer Managed Recoil. If I find these I'll update.
Last edited by 86er on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shotgun+rifled choke+slugs accuracy test...

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Joe. That should answer a lot of questions for a lot of people.

Slugs are great within their limitations.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Well consider that its a 26" barrel with the rifled choke, not so bad, be interesting to see how the others are/ will do. Wonder if any of the better Sabot rounds would work better with the rifled tube?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Excellent report Joe!
Good shooting.
I find my Ithaca's (accuracy)like the (Red)1oz HP 1600fps Fosters best.(at least in a smoothbore 20" deerslayer barrel)

Those are great groups(shooting offhand w/sticks)

Would be curious what that gun (on a sled with a quality scope set at say 12X)@ 100yds just to see how much you lose going offhand with your sights????

No Joe---------------------You don't have to try it! :lol:

I will say that comparing my Browning BPS Uplander Buck Barrel/and actually even my rifled barrel on my Remington 1100 ( Hastings barrel)/ then my Ithaca Deerslayer
My Ithaca out shoots either of the other two.(I thought that 1100 was going to be all that( :roll: )nope!
This latest 20ga Ithaca Deerslayer 20"(but it has a Leupold 2.5X Gold Ring on it(at 48 paces--and I have a 36" inseam)so far with only 2 --3shot and 1--5 shot groups have grouped more or less within something around the size of a golf ball offhand gripping around a small sapling.(further out???????)have tested itNo idea yet..
This is with the (yellow)2.75 Winchester Fosters 3/4 oz @ 1600fps as well.(and man does it kick a lot less than my short barreled 12ga Deerslayers)

Thanks again for all that valuable info! :wink:
Again-----------great groups!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Changed my above post on that 20ga accuracy-----(which by my brothers thoughts is historic :lol: :?: )
I have not shot it enough to say(with authority)that gun will group (each time)like what I experienced above.????
So----really I can only speak about my 12ga ones I have used for years.

Pretty much----and especially my 1972 deluxe Deerslayer will group within---3" at 50yds 6" at 100yds(its rifle open sights)
Thats with open sights----on sandbags,off a bench and that only with Win. 1oz Fosters.
Big difference with the others.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I found with my 870 with the 26 inch barrel and a Rem choke that I could group 5 inches at 100 only if I stayed with the Win BRI slugs at 1350. When I tried the 1550 Win or Fed sabots my groups opened up.
I shot the managed recoil Buckhammers through my full rifled barrel and 3 shots were touching at 75 yards. I would think they would do well through the choke tube based on my past experience but I am having trouble finding them in CT. Everyone wants the fastest most powerful slug they can find. I never stopped a 1350 fps slug in a deer yet so am happy with that.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Where's my liniment...? - just looking at all those big holes and thinking about the recoil involved makes my shoulder hurt...

I used to use the Winchester saboted 'pistol-bullet' slugs that advertised 1875 fps using a .452 x 250 grain pistol bullet (or therabouts). They were 3" groupers at 100 yards off the bench.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

OK----Have some better info

Went this morning to Wally World and got 5 boxes(each of Winchester HP Super X 12ga and 20ga both 1600fps)and each set of 5 boxes from the same Lot# from new crated containers out back.(old neighbor is the Electronics Manager and pulled the strings)

Next,cleaned both the 20" Ithaca M37 12ga Deerslayer(open Raybar sight)and the 20" Ithaca M37 20ga Deerslayer(scoped with a fixed 2.5X Leupold Gold Ring)

Went out back and (MEASURED) 75yds (from my sturdy shooting bench to targets involved)
Used Cabela's front/rear shooting bags off that sturdy shooting bench

Shot (4) sets each of 3rd groupings at 75yds

For each gauge I measured each group seperately (added those 4 groups total then divided by 4)

Ok----The first gun (this mythical 20ga that has the reputation of being unprecedented accurate)

My result was 2.4"-----(which I have to admit extremely impressive) :wink:

Now----my baby----my friend---the gun I have killed more deer with than any other---My deluxe Ithaca 12ga
Did it the same way-------Got to say though(this gun especially after about 6 or 7 rds,it kicks and it kicks hard)
My result was 5.1" (there is no doubt in my mind that the slamming recoil negated the positive aspect)
Reason I say this was my first two groups were 3.7" and 4.4" the last two groups opened up some because (boys,that short light barreled gun SLAMS YA as the rds add up)

Anyhow---Thats where I am at-----no doubt scoped(that 12ga)would have done better and considering the added recoil effect,my conclusion that 20ga is NOT mythical but in all reality about the same as my beloved 12ga (hate to tell my bro that-----so???????
However----no excuses,as they sit today-----the 20ga out shoots it! (so that is what I will say)

Later Boys!
Good grief that 12ga (wallops)--------------Worse than my .375H&H :lol:
Shoulder is bruised as I look at it right now!
Also---no doubt(5 rd groups instead of 3 rd groups)-----group sizes would have been larger too!
But-------------either gun(in woods)=======deadly on deer