WATCH that AutoDisk Powder Setting!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

WATCH that AutoDisk Powder Setting!

Post by JohndeFresno »

I use an RCBS Rockchucker for rifle loads, and an RCBS Piggyback progressive press for volume loading of handgun cartridges.

But I prefer to use a Lee Turret Press with its AutoDisk powder measure for lightning quick changeovers with smaller loadings, using previously set up turrets.

It is helpful to use the AutoDisk chart provided by Lee as a rough starting reference. But this summer season, upon checking my dosages with a scale before going into production I found some pretty large variances between previous settings and today's settings. I did not record the old settings after changing them on a corrected spreadsheet, but it is interesting to see the spread between a few loads - my measured loads are on the first line, and a portion of Lee's table is on the second line.

No doubt, this is due to weather changes; less likely to bad tolerances of the equipment. But regardless of the reason, perhaps it might be the time to post a warning to the less wary or the novice to ALWAYS verify your loads with a scale before starting.
Alliant Unique Powder
Lee AutoDisk hole sizes: .95, 1.02, 1.09
Lee's Chart shows, respectively: 8.7, 9.3, and 10.0 grains
My loadings today, respectively: 7.7, 8.0, and 8.8 grains

- - For those who don't use an AutoDisk, the top set of numbers is the size of the opening in CC's; the next two rows show their capacity in grains of Alliant Unique powder.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: WATCH that AutoDisk Powder Setting!

Post by AJMD429 »

Good warning - always good to double-check EVERY powder measurement; double-check the weight of the bullets you're using, too. (265 grainers don't look all THAT different from 240 grainers... :oops: )

I think the same precautions would apply to ANY 'volume-based' measurement system.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've found that to be the case as well. I will use the chart to "get close", then go up or down as needed, weigh out 10 charges to confirm a solid (narrow) average, then go with that. It takes a little extra time, but I'll do this almost every time, if I haven't reloaded in a month, or switched to another load/caliber in between.

As you noted John, better safe than sorry! :D
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I stopped using the auto disc completely and now use the adjustable charge bar. I keep track of the bar setting and can get very close to the same setting when using that same load again. Repeatability is like running a mill or lathe. Back the dial off 1 or 2 turns before you set the amount wanted, and ease up to the correct setting. Also kinda like tuning your guitar string down. Go below the setting and ease back up to it. This takes the slop out of the adjustment. Weigh the charge anyways to be sure.
Hope this helps.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

dennie wrote:I stopped using the auto disc completely and now use the adjustable charge bar....Hope this helps.
dennie
Great tips, Dennie. I have never tried the adjustable bar.

I have found that with proper maintenance - using pencil lead on the disc surface and taking care not to over tighten or cross thread the hopper screws - the auto disc is leak proof with most powders.

How does that adjustable bar fare as a leak proof dispenser?
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

John, the only prob I have is when using Trail Boss. Those little "washers" will stand on edge and wedge between the charge bar and hopper. This has never created a problem with loading, but I do remove the bar and clean the "washers" out when done using TB. I do not load TB that often, so not a big deal.
dennie
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks for the info, Dennie. Based upon your experience, I may decide to order and install that device on one of my turrets, since I'm getting a bit picky on a few .45 Colt loads.

UPDATE:
I see that this adjustable bar encompasses all of the range of the discs, and actually a tad more capacity. It's $9.99 at Midway - pretty cheap, considering the clumsy and time-consuming alternative necessary for the more precise loads (that aren't covered by the discs):
Size and bell (expand) the mouth of the round, then remove it from the press to use an adjustable dispenser, then put the round back into the turret for seating and crimping the bullet. For me, at least, that's just not fun - which is part of the reason that I reload.

And the more precise bar solution makes a whole lot more sense than the double-stacked discs (with their occasional powder hangup problems) that are offered by Lee.

I am quite happy with the range of loads available to an AutoDisk user, for many of my handloads. But I just ordered three adjustable bars for some a few "custom" handgun recipes. Thanks again for the tip, Dennie!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Yep, it's always a good idea to verify weights or settings.
I've also found differences between Lee's advertised
charge weights and actual charge weights, particularly
when using the dippers. As long as I get a consistent weight,
I can adapt. And the Lee powder measure, in my experieince,
is VERY consistent.

When I get a new box of bullets, I ALWAYS check 5 of 'em:
diameter, weight, and length. I actually found an entire box
of 357 bullets once that was 356. Useless! Mistakes DO happen
at the factory!

It does take more time to check charge weights and component
specs before beginning a loading session, but it can prevent BIG
problems and/or wasted components later.

Setting up a progressive press, I always check everything about
the first 5 rounds or so, and then every 10th if things are going
well.

-Stretch
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

+1!
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I always set the bar about 1 number short of my known setting for a particular load and work up from there. I am usually running spot on in less than 10 rounds, and the bar stays very consistent. Glad I could help out. Plus, it saves much wear and tear on the plastic hopper! My screw holes were about worn out from changing the discs.
dennie
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

It takes a good bullet also, but the powder charge is the heart and soul of the safety and accuracy of loaded round.

I am a stubborn old goat, who speaks his mind when he probably should not, but the Lee Auto Disc is a frequent cause of problems. In fact progressive loading presses and all of the gadgets that screw and bolt on to them are potential sources of issues. The number of firearms blow up have increased several fold with the popularity of these machines.

My question is, do folks really and truly need the volumn of ammo these things can produce? Are they really that short of time?

I have had a dozen or so powder measures over the 50 plus years I have been reloading and I always fall back on the first two I used. A Lyman 55 and a Hollywood micrometer adjustable. The Hollywood is easier to adjust than the Lyman, but both will throw 100% accurate powder charges, 100% of the time.

Saturday, I bolted my new reloading press to the bench. It is a 1930's Pacific standard C that cost me $15.00 without a handle. I turned a new handle from 5/8" cold rolled steel for less than $2.00. This will complement my early 50's Pacific Super C on the other side of the bench that I bought 2 years ago. I really got bit on this one as it cost me $22.00 again without a handle. I turned a section of shot out US 1917 barrel to make the handle for it.

I very much enjoy the process of handloading ammunition. The feel of the tools and the components, the smell of the case lube and lingering odor of Hoppe's No. 9 in the shop. The slow rythem of the tools and the sound they produce is music to my ears. I am not anxious to get through it as fast as I can.

Bolted to my bench are;

RCBS A2 (1950s)
Herters U-3 (1950s)
Pacific Super C (1950s)
Pacific Standard C (1930s)

My once recent press is a Redding 6 hole turret, that has all holes filled with all manner of 38 Special dies and is dedicated to that round.

I also load many rounds with old Ideal tong tools from 1915 to 1940.

Hey, I said I was retro!!!
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Charles, wasn't it Moses that taught you to reload? :o :lol: :lol:
Sorry buddy, couldn't resist! :P
dennie
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Charles wrote:...Are they really that short of time?...
For me, a grandpa, retired father who finally is taking time to enjoy his kids and wife, husband, involved church member, and frequent visitor for either me or my beloved bride to doctors in another city (one of the wonderful rewards of age and perhaps a misspent youth) , the answer is... Yes!

Rifle loads and very precise loads can be trickled and loaded with the Rockchucker; but I'll take those newfangled devices (progressive and turret press) to gin out some pistol loads for a day at the range or in the woods. A half grain one way or the other won't matter with midrange loads; especially for plinking.

If I had more time to play, then I'd take up bullet casting, maybe fly tying, and maybe even a little brain surgery. But time is precious at my home.