Lever gun Score at local shop.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Lever gun Score at local shop.

Post by 2ndovc »

First time in I don't how long I had the whole day to myself and decided to hit a couple gun shops and pick up some reloading supplies.

Hit the big one first, only buy reloading stuff there because their gun prices are crazy high but pretty good on everthing else. Then to Gander Mountain. Not much there. Then to a small local shop on the way home.

Right in the door I spot a Marlin 39A on the rack. I ask to see it and was told that an elderly gentleman had just brought it in. They hadn't even cleaned it yet.

Just what I've been looking for and in used but decent shape. I ask how much and the guy says "$289.00". So I decide that I am just going to have to take it home :D

Already burned up a box of 22 shorts in the basement!

I think I just found my new sillhouette rifle :D Serial # puts in in 1957.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jason, Nice score! You did good on the price too. Easy to tell those fifties Marlins by their huge forend. Bring it up to McKean in a couple of months. See you then--------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Hey Sixgun,

I noticed that there were a lot of those early 39s at the last shoot. John C. let me shoot his a few times and I was really taken with it. I really like the weight and how steady it is. I've been looking for one ever since and finally found one at the right price.

Big question is what to do with the sights. I like the Lyman 66, not sure what else it out there for the 39.

victor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by victor »

Nice find! You are The Lucky Dog Of The Day!!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Good score J. Good luck at the matches. 1886.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

2ndovc wrote:
Big question is what to do with the sights. I like the Lyman 66, not sure what else it out there for the 39.
For silhouette, almost everyone of my acquaintance uses the Marble's tang sight and a Lyman 17a with the wide post. I have a Marlin 30-30 that had a Lyman receiver sight on it, I didnt like it a bit, the clicks were not at all positive and there was 8 or 9 clicks of slack in the threads. The Marbles sights I have are all very positive and no slack at all.
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Palmtreee »

Great looking gun and dog!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

SCORE! Congratulations!!! :D
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

You stole it!

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Great find!! I have an ealry '50s 39A with an old Redfield reciever sight on it that shoots great. If you could find a Redfield I would recommend it, but I'm sure a Williams 5P or Lyman 66 would work just fine too. The Redfield has target knobs and just looks right on the little 39A. Heres' mine:
Chad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:shock: Those old ones without the safety are dangerous....better send it to me...Don't worry, I'll pay shipping. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

71fan wrote:Great find!! I have an ealry '50s 39A with an old Redfield reciever sight on it that shoots great. If you could find a Redfield I would recommend it, but I'm sure a Williams 5P or Lyman 66 would work just fine too. The Redfield has target knobs and just looks right on the little 39A. Heres' mine:

I like the Redfield. Now where to get one? Just checked Auction arms and evilbay. Nothing.

71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Interstingly, there was one listed in Leverguns classified not too long ago, that I just noticed last night. It's marked "sold pending funds," but you may email and put your name in the hat as a backup. I don't know if it would've fit the 39 anyway. viewtopic.php?t=4253

I'm always scanning ebay for old period Redfields and Lymans, and they show up quite often. It's just a matter of getting the correct model. Do you have an old sight book to look up the designation? If not I can look up the various model designations for you when I get home later today.
Chad
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I put a williams on my 39. I like it a lot and can recommend williams as a very good sight for the marlins. I like that it's aluminum, and I like that it costs about half what the competition costs. It's a staight shooter.

Grizz
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

71fan wrote:Interstingly, there was one listed in Leverguns classified not too long ago, that I just noticed last night. It's marked "sold pending funds," but you may email and put your name in the hat as a backup. I don't know if it would've fit the 39 anyway. viewtopic.php?t=4253

I'm always scanning ebay for old period Redfields and Lymans, and they show up quite often. It's just a matter of getting the correct model. Do you have an old sight book to look up the designation? If not I can look up the various model designations for you when I get home later today.
No sight books. Any help would be appreciated.

Grizz,

I like the Williams sights but I need something that's easily adjustable for the Sil. Matches. Lots of changes to the settings. Those big knobs on the Redfield would be perfect.

If I can't find the Redfield I think I'm going to go with a tang sight.

8)

wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Oh my......you did real good!!!!!!

Make sure you take good care of that old rifle & give it enough exercise!

Wm - Green with envy!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I would say that is a score. The 39A can't be beat!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Those 39's can quickly become your favorite rifle. Mine has been great - its a 1963 model. I set it up with the same sights as my big game rifle so the practice is with a similar set-up. Good luck with it.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

86er wrote:Those 39's can quickly become your favorite rifle. Mine has been great - its a 1963 model. I set it up with the same sights as my big game rifle so the practice is with a similar set-up. Good luck with it.
Hey Joe! How ya been?

I know what you mean. I've been carrying the thing around the house all weekend! :D

What really gets me is how well it works. Feeds shorts and LRs like it was meant to. I have a 1970 Century LTD that belongs to my sister that has never really worked well. I can get about 50 rounds out of it and it starts to jam. This one works much better. Very happy with it.

Hope all is good with you.

jb

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

nice find Jason. Best of luck with it.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

I am so jealous! I have been looking for a decent priced older 39A golden mountie, and have yet find one, but had I found that one I would have snatched it up also!
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Jason,

Don't discount the Lyman 66 - it can also be found with target knobs. The newer ones require a coin or screwdriver to adjust, but there are older ones with target knobs. There are also Williams Foolproof sights with target knobs.

OK. From Nick Stroebel's "Old Gunsight" book - these are period sights and may not be the same designation as new ones. All of the receiver sights listed below could be had with target knobs:
Lyman 66 - "66MC" (receiver)
Lyman 1, 1A, 2, 2A - "H" (tang)
Marble's - "M8" (tang)
Redfield 70 and 80 Series - "O" (receiver)
Williams Foolproof - "FP-39" (receiver)
King 200 / 201 - "No. M-2" (tang)

So if you have patience (it may take several months), start looking at Ebay every few days and see what pops up. Or you can contact one of the vintage sight brokers and see what they have. I only know of one and I can't remember his name right now. If you want it PM me and I'll look it up, or maybe post another thread requesting the info. I'm sure someone on the forum knows a few of these sight brokers, and it would be nice to share the info with the rest of us.
Chad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

71fan wrote:Jason,

Don't discount the Lyman 66 - it can also be found with target knobs. The newer ones require a coin or screwdriver to adjust, but there are older ones with target knobs. There are also Williams Foolproof sights with target knobs.

OK. From Nick Stroebel's "Old Gunsight" book - these are period sights and may not be the same designation as new ones. All of the receiver sights listed below could be had with target knobs:
Lyman 66 - "66MC" (receiver)
Lyman 1, 1A, 2, 2A - "H" (tang)
Marble's - "M8" (tang)
Redfield 70 and 80 Series - "O" (receiver)
Williams Foolproof - "FP-39" (receiver)
King 200 / 201 - "No. M-2" (tang)

So if you have patience (it may take several months), start looking at Ebay every few days and see what pops up. Or you can contact one of the vintage sight brokers and see what they have. I only know of one and I can't remember his name right now. If you want it PM me and I'll look it up, or maybe post another thread requesting the info. I'm sure someone on the forum knows a few of these sight brokers, and it would be nice to share the info with the rest of us.

Thanks for the Info. I didn't know the Lyman and Williams could be had w/ target knobs. Up until quite recently I'd only ever had one rifle w/ a receiver sight and once it was set for that rifle and load that was pretty much it. Since I've been hanging out here I've noticed how many people have them on their rifles and how useful they are.

8)

AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

nice find... only happened to me once so far - I went in to the local FFL holder in the area, who has a small shop - to pick-up a copy of his FFL to send out for a Winchester 9422 for $325 (at the time) - I looked on the rack and there is a newly placed mint, mid-80's 9422 - I asked how much and when he told me the guy wants $200 for it - I said stick it behind the counter and I'll be right back from the nearest MAC machine. Came home with me that day. Some deals are hard to pass up...
southernutah
Levergunner

Re: Lever gun Score at local shop.

Post by southernutah »

Nice find. bought one new in the 70s but don't shot it much. Almost lost it to ex 4 years ago with the rest of the ones the judge thought she needed. One of the local small shops had 2 for sale a while back.
temp is supost to hit 108 today and looking for shade..............
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Heck of a deal; that small shop must be hungry for cash flow right now. Congrats!

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Here's a little better picture with the sling I made out of an old pistol belt (that soesn't fit any more :oops: ) with the Lyman 66 I put on and my Bowen OM SBH.

Amazing little rifle. 1"-1 1/2" at 100 yds isn't hard with this one!

jb 8)

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice buy - Congrats !

Dr. Tim has a nice sight for the Model 39a - in brass or blued steel - scroll down for a pic:

http://www.skinnersights.com/

It doesn't have enough of the readily adjustable elevation needed for Sil. matches, though.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Looks like a really nice early "Golden" 39A. White spacers, grip cap, gold trigger, sling swivels and fat forearm. I bet it has a "P" or "R" prefix. :wink:

71Fan,
Actually, the M8 was for the Marlin 22 pump rifles and the M3 was for the 22 levers. The good news is that they are interchangeable.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

nice lookin little critter